E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Service History Request

12-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #1
labbu63
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Service History Request

Does anyone know where I can get the service history for my car from??
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Mr. Toad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

Are you referring to a car you currently own, or one you're considering purchasing?

If it's your car, then your dealer should provide this info upon request. If it's a prospective purchase, then the selling dealership should automatically provide the service history.

I've never had a problem obtaining a vehicle's service history (with owner's info redacted) from my local dealer, but others have indicated here that their dealers were not so helpful. My SA once reviewed a car's service history with me by phone, even though the vehicle in question was being offered for sale by a competing dealer.
      12-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What's weird about Lexus, is you can pull it even when you're looking at a prospective car. It may, or may not, have services performed outside of Lexus/Toyota (if a Lexus is worked on at Toyota, it's automatically fed to the database).

Sometimes, I find it very weird how the German car cos. say no for dumb reasons. They do this with the factory extended warranties--officially, you cannot get a hard copy of the quote, which also shows services performed, but unofficially, 2 dealers let me have it. And here, we're talking about our own cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

NY dealer would check what service had been done to my car, but they would not give me the written record for "privacy reasons". Keep in mind some of the service for the car might have been done outside of a BMW dealer, especially for cars older than 4 years.
      12-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
NY dealer would check what service had been done to my car, but they would not give me the written record for "privacy reasons". Keep in mind some of the service for the car might have been done outside of a BMW dealer, especially for cars older than 4 years.
On the extended warranty quote that I have from 6 yrs. ago, it specifically states not to be shared and proprietary. imho? It's so you can't shop around or use it as a reference to shop around.

What could possibly happen, if BMW, did things the Lexus way? Lexus should have imploded by now, violating "privacy" the way they do, my gosh, you could find out that the oil was changed at 35,000 miles on a car you don't own, or maybe, they flushed the brake fluid at 2 yrs. and which dealer did it. From what my buddy tells me, Audi is much worse than BMW, his SA actually slammed BMW on the takata thing for offering free loaners/rentals.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
On the extended warranty quote that I have from 6 yrs. ago, it specifically states not to be shared and proprietary. imho? It's so you can't shop around or use it as a reference to shop around.

What could possibly happen, if BMW, did things the Lexus way? Lexus should have imploded by now, violating "privacy" the way they do, my gosh, you could find out that the oil was changed at 35,000 miles on a car you don't own, or maybe, they flushed the brake fluid at 2 yrs. and which dealer did it. From what my buddy tells me, Audi is much worse than BMW, his SA actually slammed BMW on the takata thing for offering free loaners/rentals.

Getting service records is one thing, but getting an extended warranty quote is not the topic here. Having said that, the warranty company does not want to you take the quote and show it to the competition as to what is covered and how much they are quoting. That doesn't prevent you from shopping around, it just means they don't want you to ask the competition to analyze it for you and give them a potential pricing advantage that they don't have as a result of their giving you a quote.

As far as service records and getting service on older BMWs, it does not seem to be BMW's strategy to make it extremely easy to maintain an older car. Their strategy seems to be to treat the first owner real nice, treat the second CPO owner almost as nice, and make it expensive for the out of warranty owner so that they will consider buying a newer car under warranty real soon.

The way to deal with that on an older car is to use BMW service as little as possible, consider getting a good independent mechanic, and consider doing some of the work yourself. They are not going to give you a written service record to help, but they will work with you to determine if service needs to be done or not., based on what work they are aware of having been done at a BMW service center and by looking at your car. I am not inclined to buy a Lexus just because of that.
      12-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
labbu63
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It's a vehicle I own. I just wanted to know what maintenance had been done by dealership and what I need to do
Appreciate 0