BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 vs. MB GLC

12-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
zznalg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

X1 vs. MB GLC

I crossed shopped the X1 against the Mercedes GLC. Most reviewers compare the X1 to the GLA. I was interested in this comparison, however, as the GLA is too small for my needs. I expected the GLC to be much bigger inside than the X1. I was surprised. It is not, but rather, quite small relative to it's exterior appearance. I compared specs on Edmunds and learned that the X1 is larger inside in almost all dimensions including cargo. The GLC does have a 2 inch advantage in front shoulder space. The X1 has a whopping 3 inch advantage in front headroom. I drove both vehicles twice on local roads and the highway at speeds up to 105 MPH.

The GLC is a great vehicle, as Motor Trend has pointed out. Its interior is gorgeous. It is very quiet and sublime on the highway. All the touch points inside are soft and lovely. And, I didn't think twice about taking it to 100 MPH. It is also composed and confidence inspiring on high speed sweepers. To call it fun though, would be an overstatement. That, and two other negatives detracted. With its optional 19 inch wheels, the GLC is surprisingly crashy, loud and harsh over moderate potholes and ruts. This belies the otherwise serene ride and driving experience. The other negative was likely highly subjective. In enthusiastic driving, through curves and corners I experienced something I never have in test driving well over 100 vehicles through the years. Motion sickness. There is something about how the GLC sways or wallows under G-force that fires up my equilibrium system. In a bad way. This may just be me.

Onto the X1: My X1 test drive was an afterthought. I've owned 14 BMWs since the mid-'80s. When I learned the company went transverse and FWD, I was ready to write off the brand. But, the Beemer dealer is on the same block as Benz so, what the hell.

First surprise, the interior is large! Chock it up to transverse and FWD. Second surprise, the interior quality and design is pretty nice. Not GLC nice. But classic BMW nice. Third and biggest surprise: the damn thing drives like a BMW! And, a small one at that. No, it's not an E92 or E39 with a sport package. But, there's no mistaking it. The X1 is nimble, tossable, fun to drive, reasonably quick, has decent visibility, great ergonomics, and that classic Bimmer interior again. Love the old school dash gauges. I didn't hesitate taking it up to 105 MPH. It would likely be fine at much higher speeds.

The GLC is quieter and smoother under most but not all conditions. The X1 is far more enjoyable to drive and just feels more intelligently designed. In the X1, every cubic centimeter is accounted for and maximized for space efficiency. It's an airy, light and businesslike place to spend time. It looks nice on the outside, is relatively efficient and doesn't look like it takes itself too seriously. Like nearly every Benz does.

The front wheel drive/AWD BMW: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? Enough so that I put a deposit down.

I'll be posting my impressions after the boat lands in a few weeks.
Appreciate 3
      12-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Obviously BMW has done a very good job with AWD - sending 60% of torque to rear wheels to maintain BMW "feeling".

Most people are hung up on the fact that it is a FWD transverse - "non-BMW layout" - and forget that you can rectify with AWD system. Transverse is not a bad thing - obviously it makes for better packaging- while FWD has pro:s and con:s - I have been driving FWD cars for many years.

I will await hybrid system with e-RWD before let go of my petrol I6.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 03:08 AM   #3
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Nice POV review....... 👍🏾
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I cross-shopped the GLC before I purchased my X1. Yes, the GLA is much smaller, and yes, the GLC is no bigger ...and smaller in the areas you mention. The absence of the underfloor area in the real was a real negative, as was the non-sliding rear seat. The GLC is quieter but rides no better...but worst of all was the price. To get the same equipment in the GLC was going to cost me an additional $12k, and no M-B dealer I could find was prepared to budge. I'm very happy with our X1 after 9 months / 15,000km.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
zznalg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_rx7 View Post
Nice POV review....... 👍🏾
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

I agree, in fact I went from an X3 to a GLC in September. Within a couple of weeks I had agonised but in the end rejected the fully loaded GLC as a lemon (not going into here) which left me looking around again. Found everything I needed in the X1 especially the dimensions. Got a 20i M sport due in March.
Would have liked blind spot detection and a shorter auto lever but love the configurable rear bench. As a couple of auto commentators have suggested - its all the SUV you need.

Max
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Obviously BMW has done a very good job with AWD - sending 60% of torque to rear wheels to maintain BMW "feeling".
I thought that for normal driving conditions, all the torque is sent to the front wheels, with drive being sent to the rear wheels only if the front wheels are sensed to be slipping?
      12-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
zznalg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTracey View Post
I thought that for normal driving conditions, all the torque is sent to the front wheels, with drive being sent to the rear wheels only if the front wheels are sensed to be slipping?
My understanding is that under normal low-torque highway driving conditions, all power is directed to the front wheels. But, the XDrive doesn't depend on slippage to direct power to the rear. If the system senses high torque demand, as in pressing down on the accelerator enough, it will send power rearward. I believe there are many other conditions that will result in the same. I'm sure some people here have greater knowledge about this than I do.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #9
Tjalle
Major
Rep

I should have been more clear:
-BMW do not tell the amount of torque sent to rear at straight ahead driving.
-since they donīt want "any" FWD feeling, they need to send some torque to rear - even att straight ahead driving - non acceleration.
-sensing a corner or accelerating, the system acts "immediately" and sending- about -60% torque to rear.

The Haldex system used to be 100% FWD while straight ahead and no slipping. Their Mark 5, also has some torque to rear at straight ahead, for same reason as BMW.
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50
      12-27-2016, 03:44 AM   #10
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Thanks for this...have you links to any technical papers on this? I've seen some for earlier Hadley systems but not the latest versions
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:26 AM   #11
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Sorry, manufacturer regard this as business secrets. My knowledge is based on INFO within one manufacturer and from engineering firms like Lotus, Prodrive and Ricardo.

Note: Audi has revealed a new AWD system for A4, with non-turning driveshaft at straight ahead. Obviously this will save - very little - petrol, but it also means initial -again very little - understeer at acceleration or entering a curve. Audi believe they can get away with it - being a FWD-company - BMW think not.

VW and Volvo is using Haldex.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
MissMetal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Prius Trim V

The additional review is appreciated! I'm quite new to the world of BMW as well as Mercedes. My husband and I also test drove a GLC, GLA, and X1 in the US this week with a focus on Adaptive Cruise and Lane Keep features. Since this seems to be the appropriate thread here is some additional data we picked up for the 2017 models:
* The GLC offers the option of a true Lane Keep Assist where it not only detects lane departure, but gently corrects for it via applying brake to one side (rather than Toyota's motorized steering wheel). The X1 only has the option for a Lane Departure Warning.
* For the Adaptive Cruise Control options, the GLC's implementation was very abrupt and you must learn to trust that it will brake in time. BMW's implementation of Adaptive Cruise was more gentle and braked farther out. I had read other's opinions online that BMW's implementation keeps a safer distance between cars, which may or may not be a desired feature depending on how much you get cut off.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

In May 2016 I was 100% confident the GLC was going to be my next car: It looks fantastic and is a Mercedes after all. My partner and I test drove the 220d AMG line. Despite it being comfortable and smooth in power delivery, we simply didn't emotionally connect with it.

Handling wasn't awful but it was simply not fun or engaging to drive. Immediately after, we headed off to BMW where we drove the X1. As other have mentioned, its interior packaging is incredible and it was almost as fun to drive as a 1-series. However, when we optioned one with a good engine, xDrive and decent kit, its price was too close to the X3 which offers better ride, a more premium interior and higher seating position.
      01-05-2017, 12:54 AM   #14
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Crassus, since I am planning to buy a X2, I am curious:
-in what way has X3 better ride? Comfort? Handling?

What engine and wheels do you have? Adjustable dampers? Sport steering?

What about AUTO? X3/X4 has the "best ever" AUTO (ZF) - X1/X2 Aisin, "not so good".
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

X1 vs X3 vs X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Crassus, since I am planning to buy a X2, I am curious:
-in what way has X3 better ride? Comfort? Handling?

What engine and wheels do you have? Adjustable dampers? Sport steering?

What about AUTO? X3/X4 has the "best ever" AUTO (ZF) - X1/X2 Aisin, "not so good".
I drove the X1, X3 and X5 back to back for 30 min each. Your questions are absolutely valid. Neither cars I drove had optional equipment that change handling or steering.

It also goes without saying that when comparing BMWs, suspension and tyres play a huge role in how a car drives on the conditions of your local roads. M-suspension with big low profile tyres can make a car feel very different from one in SE trim with 17/18 inch rims. Similarly, smooth flat roads in Sweden challenge cars differently than poorly maintained B-roads in the English country side.

X5 30d SE: The tall seating position makes it a sense of occasion to enter the car, and in combination with good sound insulation makes you feel removed from traffic. You're above traffic instead of in it. Whether driving or smooth or uneven roads the car absorbs bumps while remaining agile and athletic. It's a very relaxing car to drive and the comfort seats make it stand only available on the 5-series and above, gives the X5 a big edge.

If you are indulgent and want quintessential SUV you want then the X5 is it! The only negatives is that it's expensive and it's boot is only marginally bigger than the one in the X3 or X5.

FYI: My wife had the biggest smile in the X5 and it's easy to understand why: It's a luxury, not a premium car.

BMW X1 20d xDrive: With a sliding rear bench and a very deep storage beneath the boot floor, the X1 is amazingly versatile. Inside, its bigger than it looks from the outside. On the road it handles very well and feel most like a car out of the three SUVs.

On rough roads it's as a 1-Series and doesn't dampen potholes and unevenness like the X3 or X5. This is a typical Achilles heel of crossovers or cheaper SUVs. They are rarely as smooth or settled on poor roads as more expensive SUVs. In the case of the X1, the inferior interior quality makes it feel less luxurious than the X3 and X5.

X3 20d xLine: While the X5 drives sporty despite its size, the X3 is more engaging and offers better road feel. It's slightly firmer but soaks up bumps while remaining composed.

The interior quality and leather isn't on the same level as the X5, but better than the 3-Series and even had a few bits borrowed from the 5-Series. My slight annoyance with the X3 is while the X5 is expensive but comes with lots of standard kit, the X3 needs to be optioned with all the fun stuff.

In conclusion it's not a case of one car, three different lengths. Each is different and offer something at distinctly different price points.
      01-06-2017, 12:55 AM   #16
Tjalle
Major
Rep

Thanks!

We do also have some B-roads in Sweden
Appreciate 0