E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OBD Questions on E92 M3

01-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
no1_jazz
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

OBD Questions on E92 M3

Hi All,

I am currently looking at a E92 M3. After going on a test drive the engine light came on. The garage representiive said that this is due to low fuel in the tank despite the full light not coming on.

The garage called me a day later and mentioned that they need to change the OBD as the previous owner had changed it to prevent theives from cloning and stealing the car.

They said that they will have to order a new OBD from BMW to enable them to diagnose the fault on the car.

My questions are:

1: Is it safe to put a new OBD in? and if so...
2: Have BMW rectified the cloning issues they previously had?

All help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
J
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 03:41 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

If the engine light is coming on... simply stay away from it.

Garage probably does not know what they are talking about. OBD does not become faulty however there are hidden switches and methods to disable them.

They'll be wasting their time and money if its not accessible for diagnostics.

Are you sure that you want to buy a car which gave you engine light during the test drive?
      01-29-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Plenty of them out there, walk away and find another.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Low on fuel isn't the greatest thing with these but its not healthy either in my mind but usually with garages if a cars been sitting there for a while batterys for instance start to lose the will to live (remember battery's on these cars are ususally AGM 92aH now is the recommended replacment) and if its gone flat usually a boost pack or jump leads may be involved in breathing life back in to the car to get it going for a drive, thing is as these cars need electrical power stability to operate this where issues can start to happen especialy buying from a garage if the cars been sitting for a while.

For instance when you start on of these cars up it will when the ignition key is inserted run a self test (for throttle bodies, idle actuators etc) and if some one has just started the car up and their foot has been on the throttle for instance then this test would not of been completed or it would of been interrupted for instance over time if this is the case these components can fail, idle actuators for instance are well known as are throttle bodies for having issues.

The other thing with a garage is again if the cars been sitting for a while take 5 out to look at the condition of the brakes usually corrosion sets in and discs and pads can cost if you look at the discs and you can see score lines around them or they are lipped corroded then potentually one of your first entries to the world of M will be brakes and IMO you need to address the issue correctly as I've seen plenty of cars with pads slapped on worn discs its not a smart move.

Re the ODB yes people re located the ODB and put a dummy unit in its pace to prevent theft nothing wrong with this at all as long as they can locate the whereabouts of the re loacted item if thats what they have done and I suspect this may be the issue the garage is facing they are plugging into a dummy port, but I could be wrong. I'm guessing that the car you are looking at will be from an independent garage so may be would be struggling with this?

Re BMW doing there software fix yes they rolled this out but I'd say without a shadow of doubt a theif will be a step ahead.

If it were me I'd say there are plenty more fish in the sea and would move on, EML lights yes they can be dealt with but they cost money and to be fair a dealer being presented with a bill for replacing say throttle bodies or idle actuators for instance they will realise that their profit margin has been eaten away, buying one of these to a degree you go in eyes wide open! whether you are buying to own or buying as a trade in to pass on, everyone talks about servicing bills and yes they are fairly high, its the other issues you have to look at as carrying out required replacement of parts such as the ones I've listed above aren't cheap hence a garage may look to remove the EML light shall we say.

And re warranties on M series cars if buying especially from a dealer be careful I've seen many M cars with full warranties from the likes of Warranty Wise and others have their claims blown out of the water even though they have so called "full cover" reason behind it lies in the fact that the policy although comprehensive (and even that word is open to interpretation) they don't list the specific components that say an M3 have that differ from say a 330i so if you buy a policy if it isn't specifically listed you need to ask questions in other words the policy isn't specifically written for an M3 listing certain specific titled engine components components you could be left hung out to dry. A lot of warranty company's through the countless conversations I've had know this dealer set up plans are just that set up for the dealer to their terms and conditions hence you need to ask specific questions IMO. Warranty Direct for instance are a lot more flexible and are aware of things that are M3 specific but again you have to ask to get the cover as it will most certainly not be supplied on the standard offering.

Only BMW own policy will have these items highlighted as they are dealing with a bread they know

Last edited by old grey steve; 01-29-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

I would certainly be wary of buying a car with that happening on a test drive but it seems it is a possible explanation judging by some posts/threads on M3 forums.

I don't see why they would need to replace the OBD port. It should still be accessible if you're authorized to access it. So the previous owner didn't tell them about it/can't provide them with the info to access it? I find it hard to believe a garage would take a car in (in a trade in I assume) without hooking it up to have codes read. Especially with something as potentially wallet killing as an E92 M3. Seems very fishy to me.

Either way, if they can't access the OBD port, they don't know it was as a result of low fuel and are simply BSing you.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
no1_jazz
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

Thank you all for the help. It is very much appreciated. I think, I will stay clear from the car in question and get myself back to the drawing board.

The parts which were changes are:

1: OBD PORT & PINS (Parts ordered from BMW Main dealer agent)

I am in a position to get my deposit back with no issues thankfully.
Appreciate 0