E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > oil leak help plz

02-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

oil leak help plz

hey guys, I'm trying to fix these oil leaks. I changed the filler cap because it seems like that's where alot of oil is leaking from but I was wondering what the cable thing is that is also leaking oil in the second picture is and is there like a gasket or something that can be replaced on it or the whole thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
bmw201113
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i coupe

It looks like your valvetronic motor gasket is leaking as well as eccentric shaft sensor. Thier is a good chance ur valve cover is warped or cracked as well. Your going to have to replace all mentioned gaskets at a minimum. I just ordered a valve cover just for peace of mind due to them being plastic they warp and crack
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
bmw201113
Private First Class
Rep

Ull most likely need to replace the eccentric shaft sensor while ur there
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

the valve cover gasket seems like it was replaced because there's a bunch of that orange stuff, I think it's called rtv, visible around the valve cover meeting the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

eccentric shaft sensor. OK cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
bmw201113
Private First Class
Rep

If thier is oil visible leaking where the gasket is my bet is the valve cover is warped or cracked. A lot of indy mechanics where i live say to replace the whole cover otherwise the gasket for the cover typically starts leaking every 6 months. If you have the patience to continually replace the gasket for the cover than just keep buying gaskets unless its cracked. The bolts also tend to snap ive been told due to them being over torqued from factory
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

yea I agree, I don't know if they replaced both the gasket and valve cover or both. but it looks like it was leaking around the filler cap. so I replaced the cap. guess I'll have to replace the sensor. I'll clean it up and see if the valve cover is also leaking. thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

I don't know how one can tell a valve cover is warped by looking at those photos. The areas that can become warped and cause sealing issues are not even pictured....

I wouldn't immediately suspect oil is leaking from the fill port. Techs can get careless and spill oil there. Clean the area and look for fresh oil after a couple drives.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
bmw201113
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
I don't know how one can tell a valve cover is warped by looking at those photos. The areas that can become warped and cause sealing issues are not even pictured....

I wouldn't immediately suspect oil is leaking from the fill port. Techs can get careless and spill oil there. Clean the area and look for fresh oil after a couple drives.
No1 said that from the photos you would be able to tell if the valvecover is warped. I doubt even if you removed it and took a photo if it was warped you could tell. Im just speaking from a lot of experienced mechanics i was talking to about the same leaking issues i had as well as the op. Its not rocket science that a plastic valve cover can warp or crack with the heat these engines emit as well of you might live in a area where the weather might get hot. The cover is PLASTIC!! Its happened to other members on here as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw201113 View Post
No1 said that from the photos you would be able to tell if the valvecover is warped. I doubt even if you removed it and took a photo if it was warped you could tell. Im just speaking from a lot of experienced mechanics i was talking to about the same leaking issues i had as well as the op. Its not rocket science that a plastic valve cover can warp or crack with the heat these engines emit as well of you might live in a area where the weather might get hot. The cover is PLASTIC!! Its happened to other members on here as well.
You yourself said you bet the valve cover is warped lol way to contradict yourself. If you're not basing your opinion off the photos, what over evidence suggests the cover is warped or cracked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw201113 View Post
If thier is oil visible leaking where the gasket is my bet is the valve cover is warped or cracked. A lot of indy mechanics where i live say to replace the whole cover otherwise the gasket for the cover typically starts leaking every 6 months. If you have the patience to continually replace the gasket for the cover than just keep buying gaskets unless its cracked. The bolts also tend to snap ive been told due to them being over torqued from factory
As someone who works at a shop that specializes in this chassis, I do not see it that much. The only reason why you see it a lot of here is because people come to forums to post about problems. No one posts about how well there valve cover is holding up. The pool you're pulling data from is just a small sample from a much larger one.

Also ABS/other thermoplastics plastics have a pretty high melting point and even the temperature at which they can deform is quite high. Higher than what this motor reaches (at least where the cover meets the head surfaces). It's when there are other underlying issues with cooling that the valve cover can warp.

Last edited by matteblue3er; 02-17-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
bmw201113
Private First Class
Rep

I was basing it might be warped off a personal opinion. More of a make sure its not warped or cracked before just putting a new gasket in. It does happen its definitely a design flaw with these valve covers.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #12
bmw201113
Private First Class
Rep

Here in arizona where i live with the temperatures reaching 115 daily as well as the high heat of these engines its very common out here
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

OK well thanks for your opinions and help. I was also thinking about putting some engine cleaner because through the filler cap, the engine looks gunky
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

OK guys, so I am doing the radiator flush and this is what came out. right under 1 gallon of nasty brown water. it looks more brown in person than the pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
bmw201113
Private First Class
Rep

That doesnt look good to me maybe this other guy can chime in more since he is a mechanic
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #16
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_power4ever View Post
OK guys, so I am doing the radiator flush and this is what came out. right under 1 gallon of nasty brown water. it looks more brown in person than the pic.
Might be a sign of rust somewhere in the system but I can't think of any components in any N5x system that would rust and cause that much of a color change. It may also be the result of mixing different types or colors of coolant
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #17
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er
Quote:
Might be a sign of rust somewhere in the system but I can't think of any components in any N5x system that would rust and cause that much of a color change. It may also be the result of mixing different types or colors of coolant
I think it's cuz the oil and water were mixing due to failed oil filter housing gasket. possibly?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #18
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
It may also be the result of mixing different types or colors of coolant
That makes sense. BMW coolant is blue, common store coolants are green.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
I think it's cuz the oil and water were mixing due to failed oil filter housing gasket. possibly?
You should see oil on the top of coolant you drained after waiting. I had some small amount when I had replaced my oil filter housing gasket. Had drained the coolant at the same time. There was very small amount of oil film that came to top at the drained coolant after waiting a while. Coolant color was fine though.

Also as someone up already pointed your valvetronic motor seal is also leaking. You should replace all three when doing a valve cover gasket replacement: valve cover gastet, eccentric shaft connector gasket, valvetronic motor seal gasket. If you buy a new valve cover, all those come with the new valve cover.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #20
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

thanks didn't know that. will get those ordered soon
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Brown coolant is almost always a oil filter housing gasket left leaking for thousands of miles.
Appreciate 0