F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Carbon Fiber Wrap for Front Splitter
Extreme Powerhouse

04-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
westwing222
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Carbon Fiber Wrap for Front Splitter

Wanting to wrap my front splitter with a carbon fiber wrap, but I'm not sure which to go with. I see they have 3D, 4D etc. Any recommendations on which type to go with? Anyone installed this type wrap before? Does it hold up etc?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
I was looking at the carbon wraps recently as I just got a front splitter as well. If you want the most realistic look, seems like 6D is the way to go but I chose another route (to give my car a nice highlight )

I can't speak to durability for a splitter but I have a black brushed metal vinyl wrap on my grilles for the last year. I do a lot of highway driving and It's held up very well but obviously they get less abuse than a splitter would. If you get a good quality wrap and wrap it properly, I don't think you should have an issue. Best part is you can always re-wrap it if something goes wrong!
      04-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I would just sell it and get the advantage of a stiffer and lighter CF splitter. Those wraps can looks fake and cheesy if not done right. Besides, why pretend you have CF when its not CF? A color wrap would probably look better and more consistent.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
westwing222
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I would just sell it and get the advantage of a stiffer and lighter CF splitter. Those wraps can looks fake and cheesy if not done right. Besides, why pretend you have CF when its not CF? A color wrap would probably look better and more consistent.
Well yes, I agree with you. Having actual carbon fiber, sure. In a perfect world where money isn't an option, totally.

However, money IS an option. And personally, I don't think the wraps look all that bad. Like you said, it needs done right. I don't particularly care if it's lighter or stiffer. I'm just doing it for looks. I really don't mind pretending if I have carbon fiber. I mean why would I care. The cost ratio is rediculous. Now if I could get a fron CF lip for say 100 bucks, sure. Maybe.

When it comes to the CF wraps, I was just curious what others have done, and what type they used. The small amount of research to see which holds up more with debris from the road, still is more cost effective than actual CF.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
HotTea69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 AW M-Sport

My only issue with wrapping the front end would be rock chips. Once it chips your wrap it looks ugly no matter what.

With a real CF lip, it'll be less prone to chipping, and even if it's chipped, it won't be noticeable from a distance

AWE Cat Back | BBS - LM | CF M Mirror Caps | CF M Trunk Spoiler | CF R-Style Rear Diffuser | ER Charge Pipe | ER Down Pipe | ER Front Mount Intercooler | Enzo Tuned | Injen SR Intake | M Front Grill
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwing222 View Post
Wanting to wrap my front splitter with a carbon fiber wrap, but I'm not sure which to go with.
3M DiNoc. It's almost twice as thick as most wraps, making installation easier as you're less likely to rip it, and it's much more durable.
Quote:
My only issue with wrapping the front end would be rock chips. Once it chips your wrap it looks ugly no matter what.
If that happens re-wrap it. You could re-wrap it at least a dozen times for less than the price of CF.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Well yes, I agree with you. Having actual carbon fiber, sure. In a perfect world where money isn't an option, totally.

However, money IS an option. And personally, I don't think the wraps look all that bad. Like you said, it needs done right. I don't particularly care if it's lighter or stiffer. I'm just doing it for looks. I really don't mind pretending if I have carbon fiber. I mean why would I care. The cost ratio is rediculous. Now if I could get a fron CF lip for say 100 bucks, sure. Maybe.

When it comes to the CF wraps, I was just curious what others have done, and what type they used. The small amount of research to see which holds up more with debris from the road, still is more cost effective than actual CF.

Unpopular opinion, so please don't take offense:

It's probably just me, but I find that CF has a look that denotes "sportyness" because of the way it functions, not specifically the way it looks. It's looks is a byproduct of function and secondary to function. So when we wrap something in CF for just looks without function, it seems like we aspire for a certain level of "sporty" but just couldn't afford it. To me there is no shame in not wanting to spend hundreds more just for stiffness and weight. It's expensive! And if there is no shame in it, why not allow our mods to be what they are instead of what we wish they were? There is an inherit shame in saying "well, this is made of plastic, and I don't want people to think I only have a plastic splitter on my car, I want it to look like I have CF" because if there were NO shame in it, then why not let it live as plastic instead of the more expensive CF and be happy with our mod?

That's just me tough, and I'm very particular. Most people would just reply "but I like how it looks". My reply would be, "then get what you like." The question remains, do you want the real thing, or are you content with the fake one?

Would you rather people say "nice job on your car, what splitter is that, it looks good!"
or
(under their breath) "Look, it's not even real CF... nice try!"

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 04-04-2017 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
westwing222
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Unpopular opinion, so please don't take offense:

It's probably just me, but I find that CF has a look that denotes "sportyness" because of the way it functions, not specifically the way it looks. It's looks is a byproduct of function and secondary to function. So when we wrap something in CF for just looks without function, it seems like we aspire for a certain level of "sporty" but just couldn't afford it. To me there is no shame in not wanting to spend hundreds more just for stiffness and weight. It's expensive! And if there is no shame in it, why not allow our mods to be what they are instead of what we wish they were? There is an inherit shame in saying "well, this is made of plastic, and I don't want people to think I only have a plastic splitter on my car, I want it to look like I have CF" because if there were NO shame in it, then why not let it live as plastic instead of the more expensive CF and be happy with our mod?

That's just me tough, and I'm very particular. Most people would just reply "but I like how it looks". My reply would be, "then get what you like." The question remains, do you want the real thing, or are you content with the fake one?

Would you rather people say "nice job on your car, what splitter is that, it looks good!"
or
(under their breath) "Look, it's not even real CF... nice try!"

Lol..yea I hear you. But winter has come, my money tree in the back yard is now frozen, and guarded by white walkers haha.

Love the look of it, doesn't bother me one bit that it's a wrap. Doesn't bother my bank account either. It's a VERY reasonable compromise.

I have a $112 front lip off eBay, and I still get "nice fucking ride". I'm content.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
westwing222
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
3M DiNoc. It's almost twice as thick as most wraps, making installation easier as you're less likely to rip it, and it's much more durable.
If that happens re-wrap it. You could re-wrap it at least a dozen times for less than the price of CF.
Awesome. That's what I'm looking for. I figure I could go throw a few different kinds and still be on the less expensive side. But tips like that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Awesome. That's what I'm looking for. I figure I could go throw a few different kinds and still be on the less expensive side. But tips like that is what I'm looking for.
Here's another: there are places that sell 3x5 inch DiNoc samples for a dollar or two, some even give it away for the cost of postage. You can find them on Amazon and EBay.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:38 AM   #11
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

On the 320 I had, I had a front lip for the non m-sport bumper and the wrap wouldn't stick properly. Ended up having it painted.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
westwing222
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
On the 320 I had, I had a front lip for the non m-sport bumper and the wrap wouldn't stick properly. Ended up having it painted.
Yea I have thisnone painted, but it didn't hold up well to rock chips etc.
Appreciate 0