E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dpf Regen / Diagnostic Software - Advice Please

04-05-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 325d N57

Dpf Regen / Diagnostic Software - Advice Please

Hi Guys

I was hoping you could help me out with the following. I have a 2010 325d E90 Auto. I recently got the car diagnosed which threw up a few codes including:

1. Glow control unit
2. EGR
3. Air mass flow
4. DPF - pressure at idle 15mbar

I got an EGR delete done and that has removed the egr and air mass flow error codes. The DPF light was never on, however it had an error code displaying 15mbar pressure at idle. I believe the light comes on at around 30mbar, so this is not so high right? Even so I would like to do a regen to clear it out. Now onto how do I go about this....

As I understand a regen wont happen if there are more than 4 error codes in DDE Diesel Electronics. Is that correct? Currently I only have the following 2 error codes, so should the car regen as is:
4A6F glow control unit
4A1F glow control unit

1. What is ideal driving speed and time? Ive been told 70-80mph for one hour constant without cruise control
2. Should I use any dpf cleaner additives? If so any recommended? Forte/jml?
3. What is the best software to use to read codes/delete codes/view live stats? Is the k+D Can cable with inpa / dis sufficent? Or is something like BMW Carly which is a lot more expensive worth it?
4. Can I force a regen using software? which is best software for this?
5. How will I know if regen is happening? Ive been told the mileage swingometer will go down and there should be black smoke. Can you always tell when its happened?
6. Do i need to read and clear codes whilst driving on motorway?

Thanks, any additional info would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:51 AM   #2
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Hi deeebo. I don't mean to sound harsh but have you searched the forums? Your issues have been discussed many times and all the answers you need will come up with a search.

But briefly:

Your glowplug controller failure error is probably caused by the fact your thermostats have failed. Please search to see how to check your engine temp in the hidden menu.

You will need to replace the glowplug controller as some evidence suggests a regen will not take place with these errors.

If it was me I would also replace the glowplugs.

Once you're happy you have fixed the causes of your codes then a couple of bottles of good quality dpf cleaner in a full tank and go for a good long steady drive.

You will read stories of people resetting codes whilst driving. There is no need to do that. DPF cleaner will aid passive regen and help to clear the dpf then once conditions are met an active regen will take place. That is pretty much exactly what the BMW ISTA D software tells the technician to do.

Hope that helps mate
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
notts5
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 330d

Hi, I've previously looked into this as was paranoid about DPF issues. This attachment explains things nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by notts5 View Post
Hi, I've previously looked into this as was paranoid about DPF issues. This attachment explains things nicely.
Thanks mate. That's the one I posted the last time this issue came up. Couldn't find it on my phone
Appreciate 0