E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Broken Wheel Lock Head

04-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Broken Wheel Lock Head

So I was putting on my summer tires which I just replaced with some Pirelli P7 A/S+, and I was torquing on my last tire, and the Wheel Lock Head fell off the bolt.

I have not tried to hammer the head back on as it seems it was just machine pressed into place. But I will have to do something to get it off, but I figure I will only have one shot at it. I currently have 3 pieces. The head with the key pattern, the sleeve, and the bolt (which is currently tightened on the car). Also, nothing seems broken, it simply fell apart.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any advice on putting the head back on to remove it?

I don't plan on keeping this bolt once removed, and will probably replace it with a regular one.

Any help is appreciated.

https://img42.com/DXDdi
https://img42.com/i48PU
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 05:14 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If you kept the key lock pattern number (it comes in the box with the wheel locks) then just go to a BMW dealer parts department and buy a new key. If you don't have the key number then take your broken key to the BMW dealer parts department and they will match the key up. Buy two...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Pics don't work
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you kept the key lock pattern number (it comes in the box with the wheel locks) then just go to a BMW dealer parts department and buy a new key. If you don't have the key number then take your broken key to the BMW dealer parts department and they will match the key up. Buy two...
This is right. You can get an exact replacement from BMW. You'll just need to provide some proof of ownership, etc... Call the parts department at your dealer.
      04-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep

The key did not break, the bolt did. And I just checked, the images are working fine, you just need to click on the links.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

When I lost my key after I installed my coilovers, I drove my car to the bmw dealership and they took out their entire box of key locks for me to try.
      04-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

so the bolt head broke off with the wheel attached.. so basically you cant get the bolt off? bolt extractor?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
robthewrench
Captain
Rep

Sorry, didn't understand your original post. From the picture it looks like the 'insert' of the bolt came out of the head. The bolt still seems to have some sort of 'head' left and is holding the wheel on.

You'll need an extractor to remove the remainder of the bolt. This happens all the time at tire shops, so a visit to your favorite tire shop might be the easiest. They will have various extractors to get the bolt out without damaging the wheel. The dealer is an option as well.

Once you get it out, if you want wheel locks, you'll need to buy a new set with a new key.
      04-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep

I have not tried to remove the bolt just yet. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas to get it off.

I'll try to hammer the head back on first before I try an extractor or go to a shop.

Thanks,

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

So I apologize, I answered from my phone and I didn't notice there were images attached to your post. I realize now my advice didn't make any sense because whatever wheel locks that are on your car are not genuine BMW wheel locks. BMW wheel locks are solid bolts with a lock pattern forged into the bolt's head. Whatever brand you have is a bolt shaft with a lock pattern pressed on the bolt shaft. Must be some non-oem 3rd-world made POS (not a flame on you).

My advice was based on a genuine BMW wheel lock set. With the BMW set, rarely the key pattern can separate from the key's hex-head, which is where you go to BMW and get a new key as I advised. That said, I've been using genuine BMW wheel locks for the better part of 30 years now and over 700,000 miles and I've never had a key break like I just described. I've only seen it happen as reported here on E90 Post. I've looked at the 3 sets of wheel lock keys I have and all are forged steel key-heads, so it's possible the post on E90 post I'm referring to was not a genuine BMW lock set either. Anyway, mine have never broke. Just on my E90 alone, I've removed the wheels at least 100 times using an air impact gun, so my experience is the genuine BMW wheel locks and keys are quite stout.

So my new advice is this. Go to your local BMW dealer and buy a set of genuine BMW wheel locks. BMW sells the wheel lock kit for under $30 last time I checked. Then take the car to a tire shop and explain the situation. Have the technician hammer the bolt head lock pattern back onto the POS wheel lock bolt shaft. He can then use a air impact gun to remove the broken POS wheel lock. Have the shop then replace the other 3 wheel lock bolts with the new, genuine BMW wheel locks. Note, the tire shop will tell you they'll give it their best shot, but they'll also have the correct tools to remove the bolt using a bolt extractor if necessary. I suggest using an independent tire shop rather than one of the chain stores. Chain stores usually have everything computer priced and don't have a price code for "fucking around with a customer's broken wheel lock".

The reason I suggest not doing it DIY (unless you have air tools and an air impact gun) is because if you hammer the head back onto the bolt, if the bolt is properly torqued into the hub, you will probably just pull the head back off the bolt using a wheel nut wrench. An air impact gun will apply the rotational force directly through the center of the bolt (head), versus using a hand wrench where some of the force will be perpendicular to the bolt head (i.e sort of side-loading it), which will pop the head back off the shaft. The tire shop tech will have the the car on a lift and the wheel hub at the correct height so he can get the rotational force directly and squarely on the bolt.

Good luck with it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-12-2017 at 05:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Try this!

Name:  stripped-bolt-grip-tool.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  7.9 KB

https://www.amazon.com/Lug-Ripper-Br.../dp/B00DFS6S0U
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Overkill... Take it to a shop. Pay $50 and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep

So just to follow up.

I found a pipe (black gas pipe from home depot) in the garage that was the same diameter as the head and hammered it back in nice and square. Then I removed it by keeping the socket square and doing the best I could not to twist the socket while turning. It came off nicely on the second try.

Because the security bolt is no longer mechanically tight to the bolt, I did not leave it on even though it seemed like it was reattached. I replaced it with a regular bolt I picked up for about $5.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
robthewrench
Captain
Rep

I removed my wheel locks, just because they are annoying and I 'think' I have a lower risk of theft. Replaced them with regular lug bolts. Happy to not have to worry about losing the key or having the bolt break.
      10-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

There is actually a tool to grip onto those splines after breaking the wheel lock head clean off. It's designed to fit them exactly. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the tool...

The last thing you want to do is round them off. Worst case is you drill it out.

Edit: looks like you figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #16
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 E46 & 2007 E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerix View Post
So I was putting on my summer tires which I just replaced with some Pirelli P7 A/S+, and I was torquing on my last tire, and the Wheel Lock Head fell off the bolt.

I have not tried to hammer the head back on as it seems it was just machine pressed into place. But I will have to do something to get it off, but I figure I will only have one shot at it. I currently have 3 pieces. The head with the key pattern, the sleeve, and the bolt (which is currently tightened on the car). Also, nothing seems broken, it simply fell apart.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any advice on putting the head back on to remove it?

I don't plan on keeping this bolt once removed, and will probably replace it with a regular one.

Any help is appreciated.

https://img42.com/DXDdi
https://img42.com/i48PU
Bolt extractor:

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver View Post
Bolt extractor:
This would not helped Xerix as the head of the bolt broke so this extractor tool would not have what to grab on to.
Appreciate 0