E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Climate Ctrl question...

05-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Climate Ctrl question...

Hi all

Not sure if I'm imagining this change, but I recently let someone drive my car and they activated the 'Max Cool' button on the AC.

I deactivated it, but since then everytime I drive (with AC switched off, but CC on Auto), I notice cold air coming in the vents soon after starting from cold (and in cold outside temps).

To put this in context, the weather downunder is cold, so I think the CC should only blow hot air once the engine warms up, and nothing till then, right?

Moving the temp 'blend' wheel to the hot side does fix that, but I've always driven with it on 'cold' side and don't remember cold air coming in so soon.

I don't remember this happening in previous winters and I'm not sure if it's something to do with the guy having activated MAX COOL? If so, is there a 'reset' procedure for the CC?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Unless recirculate is on you always get outside air in the cabin. If it's cold out and temp wheel on cold you get cold air

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
Unless recirculate is on you always get outside air in the cabin. If it's cold out and temp wheel on cold you get cold air
Further to what Bamaben has said, from memory Max Cool turns recirculate to Auto. Did you previously keep recirculate to the full on setting?

That may explain the change in behaviour.

I'm not aware of any CC reset, but that doesn't meam much...!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

thanks guys, will play with the temp blend wheel.

@1275: I always use the 'fresh air' option rather than recirc. but you're correct in that Max Cool does switch it to 'recirc'.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:21 AM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Unless you have the system completely off, the fan will always be running and air will be coming out of the vents.

So if the system is on, car is cold, and outside is cold, cold air will come out of the vents until the car warms up. The fan speed should be at minimum though, it shouldn't be blasting you with cold air upon startup in Auto mode if the outside is colder than the set cabin temp.
Appreciate 0