E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wishful thinking?

05-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

Exclamation Wishful thinking?

i have a 08 E92 325i with 71k miles on it. Yesterday I spent about 3-4 hrs cleaning the interior and during this time the boot was open most of the times and the doors were open depending on which side I was cleaning. I also used a vacuum cleaner using the car s 12v port with the engine off.

After which I did a few extremely short commutes within the city. Jump to today...started the car and got ABS malfunction warning (the 3 lights were on..ABS, DTC and brakes). I switched the car off and on and the error was still present. I then read online about the wheel speed sensor going bad or abs module going bad. Decided I needed to take it to a workshop to get it checked out. The workshop was about 20 miles away and mostly freeway. The malfunction lights were on throughout. Once I got there, the workshop connected the diagnostic tool and said it showed ABS module failure and it would cost me $2800. I decided to go home and think over it. To my surprise when I started the car the errors were gone and I have driven about 50 miles or so since then and it hasn't come back.

I got this car about 6 months back and haven't cleaned the interior since then. Kind of a coincidence that the errors pop up just 1 days after I decided to clean LOL.

My question is, could this have happened due to Low battery caused by my cleaning the car for 4 hours( the car does not have comfort access but the interior lights and boot light were on pretty much the entire 3-4 hours)? And that the battery got sufficiently charged on my freeway run to the workshop? I did not get any Low battery message though.

for whoever has read this far. THANKS A LOT!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post

Stuff deleted

My question is, could this have happened due to Low battery caused by my cleaning the car for 4 hours( the car does not have comfort access but the interior lights and boot light were on pretty much the entire 3-4 hours)? And that the battery got sufficiently charged on my freeway run to the workshop? I did not get any Low battery message though.

Could very well be possible. Hook up a charger, charge completely (a charger will charge the battery to around 80% when it shows "full charge") then hook up a battery tender that has MAX 2Amps charging. This one will charge the battery close to 100%. Then monitor if the issue re-occurs. I would also scan the vehicle and the codes (and clear them) before driving it, to give it a fresh start. Low battery charge does lots of bad things to these cars.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Using the 12v with a vacuum while engine off would certainly suck the battery dry pretty quickly.

Also, if the ABS unit has actually malfunctioned it can be rebuilt for ~$300 plus install. It's not a $3k issue, unless of course you go to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
BMWs4ever
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2001.5 Passat GLX V6  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
i have a 08 E92 325i with 71k miles on it. Yesterday I spent about 3-4 hrs cleaning the interior and during this time the boot was open most of the times and the doors were open depending on which side I was cleaning. I also used a vacuum cleaner using the car s 12v port with the engine off.

After which I did a few extremely short commutes within the city. Jump to today...started the car and got ABS malfunction warning (the 3 lights were on..ABS, DTC and brakes). I switched the car off and on and the error was still present. I then read online about the wheel speed sensor going bad or abs module going bad. Decided I needed to take it to a workshop to get it checked out. The workshop was about 20 miles away and mostly freeway. The malfunction lights were on throughout. Once I got there, the workshop connected the diagnostic tool and said it showed ABS module failure and it would cost me $2800. I decided to go home and think over it. To my surprise when I started the car the errors were gone and I have driven about 50 miles or so since then and it hasn't come back.

I got this car about 6 months back and haven't cleaned the interior since then. Kind of a coincidence that the errors pop up just 1 days after I decided to clean LOL.

Vacuuming and cleaning the car has nothing to do with this problem. I had the same problem. My ABS, DTC and brake lights would come on then go out after a while. I started checking into this problem and turns out the bushings on the Hydraulic pump are failing causing you to get this problem. Eventually the lights will stay on and you'll need to get the pump fixed. BMW doesn't sell just the pump but the whole module which is why you were quoted $2800. The other guy was right you can have the pump rebuilt at Module Masters https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/. Here is the same problem on another forum http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725821
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

There are a number of things that can cause this, and the first thing you should do is pull codes on the car. Until you do this everyone here is just guessing. Could it be the battery? Yes. Could it be the bushings on the pump? Maybe. Could it be the transfer case actuator motor? Yes.

Pull codes.
      05-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #6
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I already pulled the codes (as I have mentioned in my opening post) and it said ABS pump failure. The question is that if that code came up due to Low battery. Didn't get the battery checked for codes unfortunately so don't know if the car had recorded a Low battery code.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 05:49 AM   #7
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs4ever View Post
Vacuuming and cleaning the car has nothing to do with this problem. I had the same problem. My ABS, DTC and brake lights would come on then go out after a while. I started checking into this problem and turns out the bushings on the Hydraulic pump are failing causing you to get this problem. Eventually the lights will stay on and you'll need to get the pump fixed. BMW doesn't sell just the pump but the whole module which is why you were quoted $2800. The other guy was right you can have the pump rebuilt at Module Masters https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/. Here is the same problem on another forum http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725821
I have read on a number of places in the forums that Low battery shows all kinds of errors. So hoping this is the case for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
BMWs4ever
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2001.5 Passat GLX V6  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
I already pulled the codes (as I have mentioned in my opening post) and it said ABS pump failure. The question is that if that code came up due to Low battery. Didn't get the battery checked for codes unfortunately so don't know if the car had recorded a Low battery code.
Yes low voltage can cause the problem. For me after I replaced the battery I still had the same dam problem. It was the bushing on the pump which really sucked as the car only had 20K miles on it

I think BMW should have recalled the pump because it seems a lot of people had problems after only 15K miles
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
Saberdave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI

I can tell you I had the EXACT symptoms each and every time I cleaned the interior of my car with all four doors open followed by a wash. When i went to move it out of the garage to clean the floor it would start weakly and then not start at all when trying to move it back into the garage. I would charge the battery for a half hour and all would be well from then on.

It definitely was a weak battery as I have not had one issue after replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #10
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Missed that as I was looking for the actual codes. But yes, your low battery was the likely culprit. You can have the batteries tested, and it's worth doing.

If you have an AGM one of the things worth investing in is a trickle charger with a desulfinator program built in. It will do a lot to bring an aging battery back up to snuff.
      05-31-2017, 03:14 AM   #11
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys! Actually the battery is fairly new and I park my car in a condo basement which doesn't have an electrical outlet. So don't think I can use the charger. What I will probably do next time is that open all the doors and press the lock button on the key fob. That will put the car to sleep and the car doesn't have an alarm system so shouldn't be a problem.
Appreciate 0