F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Lip Install Help (PLEASE)
proTUNING Freaks

06-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Varis Lip Install Help

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a RW Carbon Varis style lip that I am going to install on my 2015 335i with the M Sport package.

The problem is that it didn't come with directions to help the novice person like me. I'm hoping there is someone with a wealth of knowledge about installing these.

I have learned that my bumper is held on by a boat load of push pin rivets and four tiny metal screws. I've also learned that some of the rivets can't be installed before you mount the lip if you want the lip to fit flush. Plus I will have to buy longer push pin rivets for the install because the thickness of the lip eats up the length of the original rivets.

One question I have is what size of self tapping screws do you use for the extra bolts? I was told by their customer service to use one inch long screws. I think I'm going to go shorter. It seems these would be too long.

I can't wait to get the lip installed. I have the rear deck spoiler and extremely happy with it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Got it done finally. If you can do this on a lift you'll be way ahead of the game.

Just be prepared to make a trip to the hardware store.
      06-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

post pics!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Gotta go to the car wash first.

No rain and it's a dust bowl around here. Maybe today or tomorrow.
      06-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Talking Picture

Well I finally made it to the car wash.

This will give you some idea of what it will look like. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It was a pain in the butt to install with no instructions for me. You're not sure what to take off or leave on as far as fastening points. Just plan on making a couple of trips to the hardware store!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
roll_the_dice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 EBII

Garage List
Looks great! Makes me wish I hadn't sold it to you! haha
Drives: 2011 Porsche 958, 1965 Chevy C10, 1988 Porsche 944 Sold:2010 e90 Montego Blue, 2013 F30 EBII, 2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST, 2006 Mini R50,2004 VW Touareg, 2012 Camaro Convertible, 2008 Porsche 911 Convertible, 2007 Corvette, 2004 BMW e64 convertible, 2000 Dodge Dakota, 1999 Ford F150, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 1999 Ferrari Modena, 1992 BMW e36, 1990 Nissan 240sx, 1979 Celica, 1974 Mustang II
My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So what did you have to do to install it?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
So what did you have to do to install it?
The first thing I did was to clean the bottom of the bumper. Second I held up the spoiler and figured out I had to remove all the attachment hardware thinking I would be able to reuse them. I reinstalled the fasteners where there were no holes were provided for on the spoiler. I now see that the spoiler isn't going to fit flush with the bumper. Now I take those out and try to attach the spoiler to the bumper using the factory push pins. Guess what? They're not long enough. So I make a trip to the hardware store which is about six miles away and buy some longer pins and enough one inch long sheet metal screws that fasten the front portion of the spoiler to the bumper.

Now I get home and get underneath the car on my faithful Craftsman creeper. For some unknown reason the pushpins won't close. So another trip to the hardware store. I ended up buying four one and a half inch long bolts plus washers and nylon locknuts for the four holes in the rear middle of the bumper. I also ended up with eight #8X3/4 self tapping screws to fasten the front portion of the spoiler to the bumper.

The only things I used factory was the two outer 8mm bolts and two pushpins.

One thing though, it's not coming off now. And it does look good. I'm happy with it but I like function with form.

I love RW Carbon. They are awesome and knowledgeable about their products. That being said I would go with the M Performance one from BMW. At least it has directions and the necessary hardware. I know they don't have the Varis style and it costs a little more.

I guess at 57 years old and not so mechanically inclined I appreciate directions and all the pieces needed to do the job. I'm sure not being able to use all the factory mounting points won't make a huge difference. It would make me feel a little better about installing a product that is supposed to be designed for the vehicle you're installing it on was made to use all the factory mounting points.
      06-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
The first thing I did was to clean the bottom of the bumper. Second I held up the spoiler and figured out I had to remove all the attachment hardware thinking I would be able to reuse them. I reinstalled the fasteners where there were no holes were provided for on the spoiler. I now see that the spoiler isn't going to fit flush with the bumper. Now I take those out and try to attach the spoiler to the bumper using the factory push pins. Guess what? They're not long enough. So I make a trip to the hardware store which is about six miles away and buy some longer pins and enough one inch long sheet metal screws that fasten the front portion of the spoiler to the bumper.

Now I get home and get underneath the car on my faithful Craftsman creeper. For some unknown reason the pushpins won't close. So another trip to the hardware store. I ended up buying four one and a half inch long bolts plus washers and nylon locknuts for the four holes in the rear middle of the bumper. I also ended up with eight #8X3/4 self tapping screws to fasten the front portion of the spoiler to the bumper.

One thing though, it's not coming off now. And it does look good. I'm happy with it but I like function with form.

I love RW Carbon. They are awesome and knowledgeable about their products. That being said I would go with the M Performance one from BMW. At least it has directions and the necessary hardware. I know they don't have the Varis style and it costs a little more.

I guess at 57 years old and not so mechanically inclined I appreciate directions and all the pieces needed to do the job. I'm sure not being able to use all the factory mounting points won't make a huge difference. It would make me feel a little better about installing a product that is supposed to be designed for the vehicle you're installing it on was made to use all the factory mounting points.
Thanks for the response. So the longer pins went into the factory holes? Or did you have to make additional holes into the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #10
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response. So the longer pins went into the factory holes? Or did you have to make additional holes into the bumper?
The only additional holes made were for the screws at the front of the bumper. The long pins didn't fit and that's how I ended up with the longer bolts.

I was able to use one factory pushpin and the 8mm screws at the outer edges. The rest of the lip is so thick the factory pins won't work.
      06-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #11
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

I used the longer pop-in plastic pins from BMW. Nice work, now you really have to slow down for the speed bumps

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only additional holes made were for the screws at the front of the bumper. The long pins didn't fit and that's how I ended up with the longer bolts.

I was able to use one factory pushpin and the 8mm screws at the outer edges. The rest of the lip is so thick the factory pins won't work.
Any 3m double sided tape?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Any 3m double sided tape?
I didn't use any. In hindsight a thin version where the air ducts are would probably help.
      07-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
arivera5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 328i M-Sport EBII

Quote:

Hi, I also bought mine from RW carbon and am about to do the same thing this weekend. Your splitter had 9 holes in it yes? Since only the end 8mm's line up, the rest of the holes need to be drilled into the bumper correct? What did you do with the remaining factory hardware on the bottom of the bumper? Did you remove them and leave them off so that the lip would sit flush? This is my main issue at the moment.

You also stated you bought 8 self-tapping screws, did you drill new holes through the spoiler and use all 8 of these in addition to the 4 1-1/2 inch screws? A little clarification would be amazing!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivera5 View Post
Hi, I also bought mine from RW carbon and am about to do the same thing this weekend. Your splitter had 9 holes in it yes? Since only the end 8mm's line up, the rest of the holes need to be drilled into the bumper correct? What did you do with the remaining factory hardware on the bottom of the bumper? Did you remove them and leave them off so that the lip would sit flush? This is my main issue at the moment.

You also stated you bought 8 self-tapping screws, did you drill new holes through the spoiler and use all 8 of these in addition to the 4 1-1/2 inch screws? A little clarification would be amazing!
Thanks!
There are holes in the bumper that line up with the spoiler. They're all there on both of them. The eight holes are at the front of the splitter. You'll have to drill VERY small holes in the bumper to get them started. For the rear, I just left out the remaining hardware and fastened the four in the middle with the inch and a half bolts with nylock nuts. The nuts that are self locking with the nylon inside. I also bought some washers and used them. Not sure if it was necessary. For the outside, you can use the 8mm screws and the pushpin rivet next to it on each end.

My recommendation is that you find someone with a lift unless you have a lot of dexterity. The four holes in the center were a real bitch for me.

For the remaining holes, I understand BMW may have some push style plastic rivets that may work. My dealer is 70 miles away. Not worth the drive. I couldn't find the correct length ones at my hardware store. You can probably also use metal rivets, but that's pretty permanent.

There are already holes drilled into the spoiler for the front attaching nuts. Line the spoiler with the bumper and drill VERY small holes for each of them. That helps the screws start easier. I used 3/4 inch long sheet metal screws and they worked fine for me.

I also recommend that you get some thin 3M double sided tape to use where the intake holes are. I didn't, but I think it would help.

Use stainless steel hardware just in case you have to remove anything. No rust that way.

In all honesty though, I would never do it again had I know what a pain in the ass it was. I would get the OEM M Performance one and do it. You get the same aerodynamic effect if your going for that. You don't the extra cooling as they claim because there is a cover to prevent mud splattering up. Therefore none of that "extra" air gets to the engine anyways. And you get hardware and instructions with the M Performance one.

I grant you the end result looks nice. I'm not sure the end justified the means.
Appreciate 0