E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 LCI Manual Question

07-11-2017, 03:30 AM   #1
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325d LCI

E91 LCI Manual Question

Hi all,

So looking at my current scenario I'm thinking of an estate 330D, looking like I'll have lots of gigs about and that means lugging my drums about, so the space combined with comfy cruising and the way these engines eat up miles sounds like a great shout!

I'm looking for:
M sport
Leather
Idrive
LCI
MANUAL!!

Which brings me onto my question, is there any manuals about? I've scoured Autotrader for months and there are so few about, and any that are tend to be missing some of the options I want.

Also are there any estate related problems I should be looking out for? Any optional extras that are a must? Also does anyone have the dimensions of the boot? I've searched but not found anything on it surprisingly (sorry if there is information about and I've just missed it)

Thanks,
Luke.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:35 AM   #2
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Does it have to be a 330d? R99 is selling a 325d.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

I could consider a 325d, the main reason I haven't is that they are more or less the same running costs as the 330d. Would you mind linking/pointing me in the direction of the ad?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Much as I love my E91, they aren't a big car. Depending on the size of your kit, you may struggle to get it all in!
Rough measurements from mine 1130mm reducing to 970mm wide at the wheel arches. 800mm long with the back seats up. Double that with them down. Minimum height 700mm.

I too prefer a manual box, but I must admit, the auto is very good and I only really miss the manual when I am trying hard, and that isn't very often these days!

Mine will be for sale in September! But for mile munching, the 330 will be better than the 335 - I rarely see over 45mpg. The 330 sounds better too, my 335 is just too quiet.
They can get a bit wallowy when loaded up and cornered with spirit, but no great problem.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:18 AM   #5
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I've read that they aren't the biggest but I'm hoping the bulk could fit in the boot and the smaller bits would fit in the rear window opening.

Yeah I never considered a 335d as they seem a little on the expensive running side. I've saw a lot of love for the auto box but I don't know, maybe if I tried the manual and the auto side by side I would be swayed however there are so few about it looks like I will be doing some travelling when I find one which means I want to be more or less set on buying before I go.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:49 AM   #6
Adam1990
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330I

As said above R99 has a nice looking manual 325D for sale which looks to be a good buy and well looked after which is hard to find.

As for boot space, they're ok, I can manage to fit my guitar amp in the boot with a guitar and a pedal board. But a bass drum might be a bit of a squeeze due to where the narrowing where the wheel arches are.

If you haven't been to have a look at one just for sizing it up I would recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info. Sadly I haven't had chance to look at one, if any come up near me I may go look just for sizing up, I suppose I could even go look at any 320's that crop up in garages close by if it's just for the sake of size.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Benskett
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D LCI

How random, I have a 2011 330d manual M-Sport and play drums!

Loads of room with the back seats down in an E91. I have a DW Collector's, electronics, hardware box etc. All fits without a problem & has the grunt to haul it all about.

I'd watch out for speed humps with the weight in the back as they are low as they are & make sure you have 39-40psi in the rear tyres.
      07-11-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i, Estoril Blue

I bought an e90 330D LCI last year and really wanted a manual, it took around 5 months for a decent one to come up with the spec I wanted. Well worth the wait IMHO
      07-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #10
Not a Diesel!!!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Megane Cup-S

They are not big at all.

Most Mid sized Hatchbacks same size. I came from a Megane ( the one with the bottom) and seats down it was pretty much the same especially as being RWD its not deep.

Megan probably Wider & Deeper ( E91 slightly longer)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:44 AM   #11
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for the replies!!

That sounds like a great kit Benskett, thanks for your input, really helpful, rear tyres that much pressure? Wow! What is the recommended psi anyway?

Cheers Olly, was originally after a coupe or saloon but the shape of the e91 has grown on me a lot and I thought with the added space(or bigger boot opening even) that it probably makes the most sense for all the gear I have.

NAD, I've heard they're not the biggest but I think they'll be easier to pack neatly so that's a help! Either way I'm going to see what's about and check space and see if it suits my needs.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:47 AM   #12
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuLUKEkul View Post
Hi all,

So looking at my current scenario I'm thinking of an estate 330D, looking like I'll have lots of gigs about and that means lugging my drums about, so the space combined with comfy cruising and the way these engines eat up miles sounds like a great shout!

I'm looking for:
M sport
Leather
Idrive
LCI
MANUAL!!

Which brings me onto my question, is there any manuals about? I've scoured Autotrader for months and there are so few about, and any that are tend to be missing some of the options I want.

Also are there any estate related problems I should be looking out for? Any optional extras that are a must? Also does anyone have the dimensions of the boot? I've searched but not found anything on it surprisingly (sorry if there is information about and I've just missed it)

Thanks,
Luke.
I was absolutely wanting a manual then decided there were more cars with auto and by sheer luck ended up with a manual (my pre LCI was also with a manual gearbox).

Whish I'd got an auto (and I'm a manual gearbox fanatic). The manual is not bad in anyway (its tipical BMW precise, ,it judders, a bit unforgivinh with the clutch but you can shift it far quicker on the move than even an Audi RS4 2007 - just tried ). However the auto just suits the car so perfectly well and you will get much better choice. Its perfectly reliable so long as its been looked after and serviced regularly (gearbox oïl change is around €100 over here).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:58 AM   #13
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

I've not tried a BMW before so I don't have any experience with any of their gearboxes. I hear a lot of people wishing they opted for auto, what exactly makes the auto suit the 30d engine so well? Do you simply run out of revs to quick? Find the power dropping off unless you keep it within the power band? I've read the clutch is offset which is uncomfortable, how do you find it?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #14
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
I've not tried a BMW before so I don't have any experience with any of their gearboxes. I hear a lot of people wishing they opted for auto, what exactly makes the auto suit the 30d engine so well? Do you simply run out of revs to quick? Find the power dropping off unless you keep it within the power band? I've read the clutch is offset which is uncomfortable, how do you find it?
I don't know about offset pedals as my car is Left Hand Drive and I live on the continent. Remebering my first E90 320d in 2006 in the UK I though it was perfect in terms of sitting position.

What makes the car so good with the auto box is simple : torque, tons of it especially widespread on the N57 3.0 engine. Yes the rev band is narrower than a petrol but a lot wider than it has any right to be. I've had both autos and manual is many cars. For the older classic style torque converter type my old man always told me that they suited bigger torquier engines. And he was right. Now that changes with dual clutch transmitions etc. for smaller engines. Torque converters type auto boxes have also moved a long way and now find their way into plenty of performance cars.

TBH it just makes for easier more relaxing effortless cruising. There is so much power in the car that its ready to take off when needed and the auto box is plenty reactive enough. It suits the character of the car.

Manual is lighter and easier on maintenance bar the need for a clutch eventually. What a manual box gives you is more control when you whant to go for it; In reality that may be only 10% of your driving, and frankly with a touring and 4 Wheel drive I rarely can be asked nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #15
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Great information thanks!

Yeah my main reason for manual would be control. I just enjoy that aspect of driving, shame there are so few manual ones around! If a good auto comes up close by I will definitely give a go though!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #16
Benskett
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D LCI

Has to manual unless you're 80 years old.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #17
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Yeah has to be manual unless you want quick shifts.....
I love mine, 325 auto n57. It's my first auto and it's impressive.
If you want stick it in sport and use the gearstick or paddles, but I normally leave it in auto now, pulls nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #18
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Haha! I won't hold off trying an auto if I happen to see one. How do you all find the E91 to live with? Any problems that are strictly estate linked? How is it on parts, tend to get through tyres or brakes any faster? Or do they tend to run fine as long as they are serviced on schedule?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Solid. Just the usual diesel engine problems but nothing dramatic at all. Parts are cheap compared to VW. Do choose a well maintained and services one though. Worth paying the extra. Standard stereo is not great as is the business nav (which I've got on mine). both do the job fine but seem really out if date compared to a more recent car. I don't really mind as I rarely use it and will upgrade at some point. Where I live a spacegrau , MPack with leather and sunroof are very hard to find. Runflats are great nowdays. Just make sure you've the same and good brand tyres all round.

Find a good Indy to clear EGR and Intake. Should cost around £120. Try and get a post November 2010 model a there were further improvements to the timing chain guides (you can tell those apart as they have low roof rails).

Thats all I can think off apart that they're really nice to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #20
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Great post thank you!

Yeah my 14 year old 1.6 golf is so expensive considering! Nothing has gone wrong with it recently however fuel/tax is ridiculous for such a slow car.

I didn't realise there was a problem with timing chains on the 30d engines? Also is there a way to tell the business and pro nav apart? Do they both have the same 6(?) button control on the LCI cars?

Is there a way to tell if the EGR and intake need clearing? Or is it just a good idea regardless?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #21
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Great post thank you!

Yeah my 14 year old 1.6 golf is so expensive considering! Nothing has gone wrong with it recently however fuel/tax is ridiculous for such a slow car.

I didn't realise there was a problem with timing chains on the 30d engines? Also is there a way to tell the business and pro nav apart? Do they both have the same 6(?) button control on the LCI cars?

Is there a way to tell if the EGR and intake need clearing? Or is it just a good idea regardless?
my 1 st car was an mk4 1.6. In terms of looks the R32 of that generation is one of favourite cars.

No there aren't problems with the timing chain. That affected mostly the 2.0d engines (N47?) I think. There have been a few N57 affected but they are quite rare and the litterweb has blown it way out of proportions. I see loads of 320d driving around.

Business nav has the small scree pro nav the large one.

Yes its a good idea getting EGR valve and intake cleaned. Just make sure you avoid all these miracle cure like "carbon cleaning" and "hydrogen cleaning". They spare the time just injecting shit in to your engine and pushing all the sute down the DPF. It has to be removed and phisically cleaned. It helps a lot with fuel consumption, engine response and performance. Thats unique with the N57, this viable for every Euro 5 compliant modern diesel. EGR valves now have integrated coolers (like a mini radiator), so the fluid will have to be purged and replaced. For the intake the seals will have to be replaced. As I said go to a good BMW Indy - there are loads in the UK (unlike over here)...

Good hunting!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 02:43 AM   #22
ekuLUKEkul
Private First Class
Rep

Not a bad car the golf by any means but for the price(fuel/tax etc) I would rather have something with a bit more poke!

I don't see many R32's around but I agree with you, they are fantastic looking cars!

Ahh good stuff, I didn't think they suffered the same issues.

Okay thanks, but they both have the same controller? I'm wondering if there is an easy way for me to tell from pictures if they haven't took a shot straight up of the Idrive.

Thanks, I'd never read about getting the EGR and intake cleaned so I will bare that in mind!

Thank you, just hope a good one comes up in the next month before my insurance is due to save the hassle of swapping mid policy. Also the golf is after a full service/water pumps which I'd rather avoid if I can!
Appreciate 0