E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer lesson or Oops, my bad...

10-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
Flyboy161
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW E92 335i  [0.00]
Dealer lesson or Oops, my bad...

2011 E90 328i: so, received the second letter from BMW re the airbag change and last Tuesday the dealer called to say the part is in stock. Great, says I, let's schedule this for Saturday. No problem says my SA. 11am is the agreed upon time.

Friday, my daughter backs the car out of the garage and I am looking at a saucer sized oil spot on the floor! About 4 months ago we changed a leaking OFHG and changed the oil as well. I inadvertently put the larger O-ring on the oil filter cap in the wrong groove but quickly fixed it. Suddenly she recalls that the oil can lit up in the cluster. So, we open the hood and see oil all around the cap. Did a thorough cleanup and once started, oil is seen seeping from around the cap. Sent her to the auto parts store to get a new filter and o-rings and replaced the flattened o-rings and filter. Next day she leaves to take the car for the airbag replacement.

Some time later my SA calls and says that the mechanic discovered the OFHG is leaking onto the serpentine belt and tensioner and that they are going to replace them all. I say, "Wait a second! You're going to replace the OFHG, belt tensioner, and belt? How much is that going to run?" She responds, "$1100.00!" I tell her, that's okay, I'll take care of it myself. Unhappily she hangs up and my daughter continues on her way.

I'll confirm with you all that the OFHG was not leaking. It was just the oil filter cap, which we fixed on Friday. I ordered a serpentine belt kit which includes the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley and I will be replacing them this Wednesday. Why? I've read here that N52 engines have a habit of ingesting the drive belt when oily. There was a few drops of oil hitting the belt prior to our repair, so I'm doing this maintenance out of a cautionary mindset. But!!!!

Point to be made here is this: The dealer does not always know best. The oily residue tricked the mechanic. He did not see fresh oil. He saw gritty dirty residue. A simple inspection mirror and flashlight proved that the OFHG area was dry and shiny as we left it 4 months ago. Because I did not clean the residue off the surrounding area (radiator hose, and one casting area in the block) made him think the OFHG was the culprit, when in fact it was a far simpler reason. When the cap was leaking it was obvious. Wipe the area clean soak up residual with paper towels and watch. Within seconds two small streams of oil began weeping from the where the cap meets the oil filter housing.

Yes, I should've done a more thorough cleanup afterwards, but I had to leave for work (swing shift) and she had to leave to take the car in at 10:15am the next morning. So, lesson learned for me. But for others I hope the lesson is, question everything, take care of all the maintenance you can yourself, and learn about as much as you can. One thing that no one can ever take away from you is knowledge. And thanks to E90post for hosting a great forum.

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #2
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

If for whatever reason I needed to take my car to the dealership for work, the only person I am asking for is an actual tech who actually knows what they are doing. I'll always choose an INDY over the dealership.

In my opinion the guys you see in the service department will inspect your car with some "140 point inspection" BS. They see anything they could charge you for and they will run with it whether their right or wrong. No troubleshooting, no asking questions, just trying to meet that quota.

The only time, and it's the last time, that I took my car to the dealership was for the airbag recall. If my HPFP goes, that will be the only other time.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy161 View Post
2011 E90 328i: so, received the second letter from BMW re the airbag change and last Tuesday the dealer called to say the part is in stock. Great, says I, let's schedule this for Saturday. No problem says my SA. 11am is the agreed upon time.

Friday, my daughter backs the car out of the garage and I am looking at a saucer sized oil spot on the floor! About 4 months ago we changed a leaking OFHG and changed the oil as well. I inadvertently put the larger O-ring on the oil filter cap in the wrong groove but quickly fixed it. Suddenly she recalls that the oil can lit up in the cluster. So, we open the hood and see oil all around the cap. Did a thorough cleanup and once started, oil is seen seeping from around the cap. Sent her to the auto parts store to get a new filter and o-rings and replaced the flattened o-rings and filter. Next day she leaves to take the car for the airbag replacement.

Some time later my SA calls and says that the mechanic discovered the OFHG is leaking onto the serpentine belt and tensioner and that they are going to replace them all. I say, "Wait a second! You're going to replace the OFHG, belt tensioner, and belt? How much is that going to run?" She responds, "$1100.00!" I tell her, that's okay, I'll take care of it myself. Unhappily she hangs up and my daughter continues on her way.

I'll confirm with you all that the OFHG was not leaking. It was just the oil filter cap, which we fixed on Friday. I ordered a serpentine belt kit which includes the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley and I will be replacing them this Wednesday. Why? I've read here that N52 engines have a habit of ingesting the drive belt when oily. There was a few drops of oil hitting the belt prior to our repair, so I'm doing this maintenance out of a cautionary mindset. But!!!!

Point to be made here is this: The dealer does not always know best. The oily residue tricked the mechanic. He did not see fresh oil. He saw gritty dirty residue. A simple inspection mirror and flashlight proved that the OFHG area was dry and shiny as we left it 4 months ago. Because I did not clean the residue off the surrounding area (radiator hose, and one casting area in the block) made him think the OFHG was the culprit, when in fact it was a far simpler reason. When the cap was leaking it was obvious. Wipe the area clean soak up residual with paper towels and watch. Within seconds two small streams of oil began weeping from the where the cap meets the oil filter housing.

Yes, I should've done a more thorough cleanup afterwards, but I had to leave for work (swing shift) and she had to leave to take the car in at 10:15am the next morning. So, lesson learned for me. But for others I hope the lesson is, question everything, take care of all the maintenance you can yourself, and learn about as much as you can. One thing that no one can ever take away from you is knowledge. And thanks to E90post for hosting a great forum.

Cheers!
haha you should see the look on my SA face when I always tell them I know my car has been leaking oil for years and I don't want to fix it. They always give me that face like I am crazy..

Oh yeah let me just pay you 2k to 2 oil leaks that leak less than half a qt per year.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Doesn't surprise me. Dealerships say all kinds of things in an effort to upsell maintenance. Case in point, I took mine in last week for the air bag and they told me I needed all those things fixed, though I'd already inspected and observed no issues, plus they said I needed a new cabin air filter. Apparently they didn't even inspect the filter or they would've seen it's all of 3 months old.
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

To be fair, diagnosing a car problem can be very complicated and if you have already done some work or mods to your car it adds an additional layer of variables.
      10-10-2017, 02:46 AM   #6
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
To be fair, diagnosing a car problem can be very complicated and if you have already done some work or mods to your car it adds an additional layer of variables.
Agreed, but going beyond a diagnostic fee, and making a claim with a dollar figure attached entirely upstanding.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Granted, these cars do require quite a bit of maintenance, but I feel the dealerships are really the reason BMWs have the bad reputation they do.

DIY oil change using the correct oil and filter: maybe $50-60?

Oil change at the dealer closest to me: $230!

I change the oil on a lot of different vehicles for friends/family and I wouldn't say the E90 is any harder to change the oil on. In fact, it is a lot less messy than some of the other cars.

A friend of mine works at a quick lube oil change place as a manager. He says the shop owner won't allow them to change the oil on BMWs, Audis, and other vehicles that don't have a dipstick, claiming they are more complicated and higher risk. I'm sure this adds to the stigma even though the dealer would likely do nothing different by just dumping in the correct amount (or less) and checking the level via the sensor.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

I was away on a trip and my wife was going to take the bmw for oil change. I called them to make the appointment and ask the SA if they could inspect underneath the car while is was on the hoist for any obvious leaks , and tell me the health of the brakes ( as I already hit 60 k)

Service advisor tells me sure , but we would have to charge 1 hour labour for inspection , so my 150 $ oil change would be 270 $ plus tax( 300 $). I tell him to forget it and cancel the appoinment

I called my indy shop , who is an expert on bmw ( he races an e90 325 competitively) to make an appointment. Indy shop changes the oil , inspects for leaks , brakes , suspension. 120 $ total .
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It is the job of the tech to report any potential problem while the SA upsells to ensure maximum profits for the Service Dept. I had the airbag replaced in July and my report recommended replacing the OFHG, Oil Cooler Gasket and VCG for a total of $2067. Odds are I will DIY or consider an Independent...everyone is CYA.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I just brought my car in for an oil change and the airbag recall; they said that I needed the OFHG done, a power steering fluid flush, and a fuel injection cleaning done. I just did the gasket, PS fluid, and replaced the injectors with new ones last year. They are crooks.
      10-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #11
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

They also use scare tactics that tend to work on non car literate owners
      10-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
If for whatever reason I needed to take my car to the dealership for work, the only person I am asking for is an actual tech who actually knows what they are doing. I'll always choose an INDY over the dealership.

In my opinion the guys you see in the service department will inspect your car with some "140 point inspection" BS. They see anything they could charge you for and they will run with it whether their right or wrong. No troubleshooting, no asking questions, just trying to meet that quota.

The only time, and it's the last time, that I took my car to the dealership was for the airbag recall. If my HPFP goes, that will be the only other time.
Totally agree, dealer is convenient for a loaner....one of my dealers f'd up my car, the indie said good luck proving that (long story I went the BBB route).

There's a reason why many indies would not try to put one over on you--they rely upon their reputation to earn their living. A dealership relies upon volume.

I got the dealer to agree to do my water pump for free, but I thought about it, I never want this dealership to touch my vehicle, ever, again, so I never brought it in. They sent me a free oil change letter, forget it.

As an aside, I haven't got the time nor really space to do a V8 Lexus timing belt/water pump (3UZFE). Indies get around $750 to $900 for the job. The Lexus dealers get $1,400 to $1,800. I feel very confident that the indie does a way better job. You're a real person with a real face to them. You often are not with dealers.

I picked up my 335 from the indie after they mounted PSS and installed my provided new TPMS. I get there, and they are bucket washing my car. Does anyone think for a minute a car dealer does that (maybe with M's, dunnno)? that's pride, SON!
Appreciate 2
Flyboy161287.50
jeddo45373.00
      10-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I keep a case of Brake Kleen on hand at all times just for these occasions.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
I just brought my car in for an oil change and the airbag recall; they said that I needed the OFHG done, a power steering fluid flush, and a fuel injection cleaning done. I just did the gasket, PS fluid, and replaced the injectors with new ones last year. They are crooks.
Mine's going in Friday for the a-bag (both sides). I'm waiting for what they think it needs at 333,000 miles. I hope they say tires (because it does ). I HATE taking any of my cars to the dealership, because of the shit they try to pull.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

The SA's are basically sales people, i'm sure they get some kind of commission or bonus for hitting service vol numbers. Just depends on how honest and upfront your SA is.

Usually if they know your a car guy, there a little more cautious on what services they think you need done.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #16
Flyboy161
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW E92 335i  [0.00]
Aw hell! I totally forgot, the first thing they told her was the front brake pads were due for change. I told her we'd take care of that too
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy161 View Post
Aw hell! I totally forgot, the first thing they told her was the front brake pads were due for change. I told her we'd take care of that too
if they think you dont know about cars, they make you think the car is made out of unicorns.

Jiffy lube try to sell my sister a $100 synthetic oil change for a 06 camry... Its a camry....i told her just stick with the $30 oil change.

my SA was in shock when i told him i did my OFGH for less then $100. Thankfully he's a relatively honest guy...we usually talk about the N54 vs N55 vs B58 engines when i come in.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #18
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
if they think you dont know about cars, they make you think the car is made out of unicorns.

Jiffy lube try to sell my sister a $100 synthetic oil change for a 06 camry... Its a camry....i told her just stick with the $30 oil change.

my SA was in shock when i told him i did my OFGH for less then $100. Thankfully he's a relatively honest guy...we usually talk about the N54 vs N55 vs B58 engines when i come in.
How did it cost you 100 dollars. Isn't the gasket like 12 bucks?
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

here is one thing though

I've noticed a lot of specialized indy shops have mechanics that have worked for BMW dealers for years. So they know the car, they have the tools and they have the contacts

On the other hand , every time I go to the dealer most of the techs are kids fresh out of college working on your car

I do not see as many apprentices at an indy as I see at the dealer.

Aside from being higher on the hourly rate, I believe dealers also charge more labour hours because it takes the apprentice longer to do it , than what it takes an experienced mechanic , which is what you usually get at an indy

However, I m only referring to a specialized indy shop with a good reputation. Usually this type of forums are good to find those indy shops

I have had my bad experiences at indy shops too , specially the ones that do it all types of cars. They could be more expensive than a dealer and do a terrible job , so becareful

I remember taking my mazda 3 to one of those indys . Guy tells me the ball joints are gone , so I tell him to go ahead and replace it. I go to pick up the car , the shop smells like something was on fired, The mechanic tells me he had a really hard time removing the ball joint but he was able to replaced. Then he proceeds to tell me the calipers are bad too and he has to replaced them. I can tell he was nervous and did not know what he was talking about. I just tell him that I m taking the car like that.

Same day I drive the car to my regular mechanic , he tells me the calipers are good and it was a bad wheel bearing , he also tells me the ball joints probably did not need it to be replaced. I m still pissed off that I paid the guy 500 $ to replace something that was not broken
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Probably included new coolant and an oil change. You don't have to change them, but it makes the process less of a mess.

Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #21
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Mine's going in Friday for the a-bag (both sides). I'm waiting for what they think it needs at 333,000 miles. I hope they say tires (because it does ). I HATE taking any of my cars to the dealership, because of the shit they try to pull.

That would be awesome to see the look on their face when they see 333,000 miles haha.

Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50
      10-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #22
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
i bought the oem oil cooler and housing gaskets for $30 each. I also bought the oem gaskets for the oil cooler lines.

Then 1qt of oem oil and 1qt of oem coolant. Oem oil filter openner and the stupid 27mm wrench that BMW likes to use.

I couldve done it for cheaper if i did the aftermarket ones, i just had bad experiences in the past when i use aftermaket parts on a mercedes or bmw.

I usually go oem when i want to make sure of absolute reliablity on that specific part.
Appreciate 1
Flyboy161287.50