E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DRL on Adaptive HID Housings

10-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

DRL on Adaptive HID Housings

Are the Halogen DRL projectors in the Adaptive HID headlight assemblies independently adjustable? Mine are just out of whack enough to be annoying.

I'm about to swap in new ballasts, so I'll have them out this weekend, so now's the time as I'll have to re-aim everything.

Thanks in advance.
      10-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
What appears out of whack? They point different directions when you're parked? Pre-/LCI?

ON Pre-LCI, the halogen drl ride with the base leveling of the headlight. There are two screws on each outer headlamp assembly, one for up/down and one for left/right.

Also, if you have the physical housing removed, you can often make bulk changes in headlight alignment when the top mounting tab screws are loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
What appears out of whack? They point different directions when you're parked? Pre-/LCI?

ON Pre-LCI, the halogen drl ride with the base leveling of the headlight. There are two screws on each outer headlamp assembly, one for up/down and one for left/right.

Also, if you have the physical housing removed, you can often make bulk changes in headlight alignment when the top mounting tab screws are loose.
Thanks, it's pre-LCI. Where are the two screws. I have know about the screws for the HID alignment (the two 6mm hex adjusters), but if there are base alignment screws I'm not seeing them.
      10-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The screws for HID alignment handle both. They set the pivot positions that the inside bulb housing rides on. The leveling servo acts on this inner housing up and down, and the adaptive left/right acts on the lens and is mounted to the inner housing.

I wish I had a diagram or something, but if you look carefully at the headlight when it is removed, it should make more sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
The screws for HID alignment handle both. They set the pivot positions that the inside bulb housing rides on. The leveling servo acts on this inner housing up and down, and the adaptive left/right acts on the lens and is mounted to the inner housing.

I wish I had a diagram or something, but if you look carefully at the headlight when it is removed, it should make more sense.
Ah, so the two 6mm hex adjusters on the back of the housing are the only two. I'll course adjust with the mounting screws first to get the DRL's close and then fine tune with the adjusters once I get them set.

I'll also check the bulb seating on the halogen DRL bulbs. Thanks!