E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 1/2 of my new OEM Bosch coils were bad - best recommendation for an alterative

10-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
1/2 of my new OEM Bosch coils were bad - best recommendation for an alterative

So I recently had to change out my Valvetronic position sensor which of course necessitated removal of the Valve Cover.

I had already ordered a 6 pack of new OEM Bosch coils before I was able to determine that the sensor was the issue. BTW - thanks for the fine folks on this forum who contributed to helping me get to that correct conclusion. : )

I was planning to return the coils but then I thought - "Why not just put the new ones on and avoid a coil issue a bit further down the road?". Especially since I had to pull them out either way. I replaced the spark plugs about 2-3 months ago.

So when i buttoned everything back up, the car ran so rough it was like a bag of rocks and my cat started to glow red! I shut it down quickly and pull the codes using a Carly adapter/App. Sure enough I had Cylinders 3, 4 & 5 misfires. I checked the connections on the coil leads and the positive seat on a the spark plugs. I ended up putting back the old coils in those cylinders and now it runs like a champ again.

So what is the best alternative Coil to the Bosch? I have lost faith in that product for the immediate and more distant future. Although I suspect that if they work out of the box they will continue to have a normal lifespan.

Or should I just skip it altogether and put the old coils back in all of the cylinders until i have an issue? My 328i is a 2011 with 55K miles, N52 with Auto. I also tend to get fairly poor mileage 20-22 overall with a good amount of highway/freeway driving. I was hoping that the new sensor might help improve that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

I've found that the connectors on the Bosch coils are a lot tighter than the OEM ones. Sometimes the connector is not really seated properly even though the clip has been pressed down. 1 out of 6 misfired right after my install and I had to reseat the connector to correct the problem. I've used Delphi coils and they don't have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
The first thing I checked was if they were seated properly. I pulled them out and put them back in firmly and there was still a misfire.

Then a swapped each of the bad coils position with one that was working and the misfire followed the coil.

Is there a specific Delphi part# that I should look for our just choose one of the site sponsors and order off their page?
Appreciate 0