F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > OEM full leather dashboard conversion
proTUNING Freaks

10-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

OEM full leather dashboard conversion

I've seen a few OEM full leather dashboards on ebay in the last few weeks for usually around $1000-$1200. As one of my friends has the full OEM leather dash in his F80 it's something that I really enjoy and would definitely bring my car's interior more upscale.

1) Is the OEM full leather dashboard part the actual full dashboard piece that replaces my plastic full dashboard? The reason I ask is that if this is the case, I would sell my OEM plastic dashboard to recoup some of the cost.

2) This looks rather labor intensive and I don't trust myself doing this type of stuff, how many hours of labor would a reputable shop likely charge for this?

FYI, this is similar to what I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F30-F3...-/282085781522
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
I've seen a few OEM full leather dashboards on ebay in the last few weeks for usually around $1000-$1200. As one of my friends has the full OEM leather dash in his F80 it's something that I really enjoy and would definitely bring my car's interior more upscale.

1) Is the OEM full leather dashboard part the actual full dashboard piece that replaces my plastic full dashboard? The reason I ask is that if this is the case, I would sell my OEM plastic dashboard to recoup some of the cost.

2) This looks rather labor intensive and I don't trust myself doing this type of stuff, how many hours of labor would a reputable shop likely charge for this?

Yes, it is very labor intensive. Figure about 8 hours of billable hours - or roughly $1000 depending on your location.

It would replace your plastic dash, though those really do not move on eBay. If an airbag blows and totals dash, the car is usually totalled, so not a lot of call for replacement.

I had looked at that specific opal weiss dash, but the damaged leather at the point convinced me to stay away.

As your car does not have Opal Weiss interior (unless an Individual Edition which I suspect you do not have) what are you planning to do to match all the other leather and door trim?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
Quote:

Yes, it is very labor intensive. Figure about 8 hours of billable hours - or roughly $1000 depending on your location.

It would replace your plastic dash, though those really do not move on eBay. If an airbag blows and totals dash, the car is usually totalled, so not a lot of call for replacement.
Thanks for the reply! Some have mentioned having an automotive upholstery shop do a custom leather dash covering, is that a more viable option?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Some have mentioned having an automotive upholstery shop do a custom leather dash covering, is that a more viable option?
See last 2 paragraphs of previous post.

What color is your interior now?

If doing a custom dash, would suggest you use this as a base.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1376288

IK6SPEED

Last edited by kabrichx; 10-29-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4495.00
      10-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

Thanks for the link

OP the leather dash has padding and different plastic underneath it, if you wrap your plastic dash it will look puffy and inflated on the edges and corners since ur will make it thicker/fatter. If interested send me a PM and i can give you a good deal on mine, the lower parts are already all leather, you will just need to replace the top sections with new leather, will be much cheaper then wrapping ur plastic dash with leather and it will also look much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the link

OP the leather dash has padding and different plastic underneath it, if you wrap your plastic dash it will look puffy and inflated on the edges and corners since ur will make it thicker/fatter. If interested send me a PM and i can give you a good deal on mine, the lower parts are already all leather, you will just need to replace the top sections with new leather, will be much cheaper then wrapping ur plastic dash with leather and it will also look much better.
I'm actually interested in that however two potential issues:

1) my car doesn't have the HUD so not sure it would line up correctly?

2) how would I potentially repair where your air bag deployed and still have my airbag system function properly?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My dash board is black on top and bottom, my seats are Coral Red with Coral Red inserts on the door panels.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My dash board is black on top and bottom, my seats are Coral Red with Coral Red inserts on the door panels.
Even a better reason to get IK6SPEED’s dash.

Opal Weiss on lower dash with Coral Red would look really wierd.
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4495.00
Cammy5160.00
      10-29-2017, 10:31 PM   #9
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Even a better reason to get IK6SPEED’s dash.

Opal Weiss on lower dash with Coral Red would look really wierd.
Agree. The eBay link I provided was similar to one i saw a while back; that color contrast would look horrible with my seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree. The eBay link I provided was similar to one i saw a while back; that color contrast would look horrible with my seats.
As for the HUD you would either cover over it when redoing the top.

Or have a piece of the leather cut the size of the HUD hole on some backing and mount it in there instead of the screen.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4495.00
      10-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

2) how would I potentially repair where your air bag deployed and still have my airbag system function properly?
Dash would like up the same, but you will need to just retrofit a flat piece of plastic to cover the hole where the HUD is, or have the shop just close up that opening when they will be repairing the top where the tear is.

your airbag attached to lower part of dash, the mounting points are all still there and intact, there is a plastic door that opens when airbag deploys, that plastic will need to be repaired and then new leather will be used on top and the seam runs along where the airbag pops out off, the shops that repair these types of things know how to repair the plastic doors so they will be safe and function properly when the airbag goes off again, for the leather they will use special breakable threads in the seam area just like the factory uses.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

Dash would like up the same, but you will need to just retrofit a flat piece of plastic to cover the hole where the HUD is, or have the shop just close up that opening when they will be repairing the top where the tear is.

your airbag attached to lower part of dash, the mounting points are all still there and intact, there is a plastic door that opens when airbag deploys, that plastic will need to be repaired and then new leather will be used on top and the seam runs along where the airbag pops out off, the shops that repair these types of things know how to repair the plastic doors so they will be safe and function properly when the airbag goes off again, for the leather they will use special breakable threads in the seam area just like the factory uses.
Let me reach out to some local shops to look into this. I will let you know!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me reach out to some local shops to look into this. I will let you know!
Out of curiosity, what did you do?

Pics?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what did you do?

Pics?
I went back and forth in my head for days but ultimately decided to accept and live with my lowly plastic dashboard until my lease runs out in about 1.5 years. I really want the leather dash but finding one AND getting a competent installer was going to be a ton of money. Assuming I get into a G20 M340i next I'll be ordering it with a full leather dashboard assuming that is available.
Appreciate 0