E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil filter cap leaking (major). STP filter & O-ring any good?

11-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Oil filter cap leaking (major). STP filter & O-ring any good?

Changed the oil back in June and my dumbass used an STP filter/O-ring from Autozone instead of the Mann one. Haven't had any issues with it until now.

Are STP filters that bad? The weather got colder recently, so I'm thinking the
O-ring failed? The filter cap is torqued down more than enough. It's about 1cm past the green (alignment) markings.

I cleaned up the leak and went for a drive. This is what it looks like after just 2 miles of (granny) driving.

https://ibb.co/eHpqJG

I have a Mann filter on the way, I'm just gonna to replace the o-ring to see if the leak is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Changed the oil back in June and my dumbass used an STP filter/O-ring from Autozone instead of the Mann one. Haven't had any issues with it until now.

Are STP filters that bad? The weather got colder recently, so I'm thinking the
O-ring failed? The filter cap is torqued down more than enough. It's about 1cm past the green (alignment) markings.

I cleaned up the leak and went for a drive. This is what it looks like after just 2 miles of (granny) driving.

https://ibb.co/eHpqJG

I have a Mann filter on the way, I'm just gonna to replace the o-ring to see if the leak is fixed.
I've seen pics of filters other than Mann, and after a few k miles they disintegrated. your prob looks like oring leak. replace both filter and oring with Mann one

example
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/#/topics/565547
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Never buying STP or any aftermarket filter/o-ring brand ever again! What a piece of sh!t!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Leaking oil cap is 99% of the time because the o-ring wasn't place in the correct groove put pushed all the way against the cap lip.
Efthreeoh17426.00
      11-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Never buying STP or any aftermarket filter/o-ring brand ever again! What a piece of sh!t!
Yea after reading on a few threads last time I researched, our cars runs hotter and also hold oil for an extended period of time. I saw some filters that were just in pieces in the filter housing after 10k miles. So far Mann has been the only brand to hold up in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
Leaking oil cap is 99% of the time because the o-ring wasn't place in the correct groove put pushed all the way against the cap lip.
This would be my guess. Until the new filter gets here, at least unscrew the cap and put the o-ring in it's correct groove.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Shotputted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i Le Mans Blue

When I bought my car it had this issue soon after. I assumed it was a misaligned oring so I took it apart and made sure everything was correct. Then it leaked even worse! Whoever did the oil before I bought my car used the crappy filter and the orings must have compressed and hardened over a few kmiles. Be careful til you fix it because it will leak oil all over the place including your belt which can ruin your engine.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotputted View Post
When I bought my car it had this issue soon after. I assumed it was a misaligned oring so I took it apart and made sure everything was correct. Then it leaked even worse! Whoever did the oil before I bought my car used the crappy filter and the orings must have compressed and hardened over a few kmiles. Be careful til you fix it because it will leak oil all over the place including your belt which can ruin your engine.
Exactly, that's why I'm hesitant to even open it up right now. If the O-ring is indeed destroyed, opening it and moving it around will only worsen it. I guess I'll just have to wait another 3-5 days until my Mann Filter arrives and I'll swap it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Probably broken

I've used STP a lot in the past on my N52. Weird how this never occurred to me. Changes done every 5k. Maybe some get unlucky batches? Seal not on right groove?
      11-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've never used anything but a BMW OE (MANN) oil filter. The MANN filter is good for far north of 17,000 mile oil change intervals. A few years ago I bought a used E85 Z4 3.0si Coupe (it has the N52) from CarMax. I immediately changed the oil in the engine because I was sure CarMax didn't use the correct oil nor filter. I was right about the oil filter. It was an STP brand and did not fit correctly; it was partially crushed. I could see how after a few thousand miles the oil filter element could degrade. Most Advanced Auto Parts stores carry the MANN HU-816 N52 filter in stock.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #11
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've never used anything but a BMW OE (MANN) oil filter. The MANN filter is good for far north of 17,000 mile oil change intervals. A few years ago I bought a used E85 Z4 3.0si Coupe (it has the N52) from CarMax. I immediately changed the oil in the engine because I was sure CarMax didn't use the correct oil nor filter. I was right about the oil filter. It was an STP brand and did not fit correctly; it was partially crushed. I could see how after a few thousand miles the oil filter element could degrade. Most Advanced Auto Parts stores carry the MANN HU-816 N52 filter in stock.
Lesson learned for me. Autozone does not carry the Mann filters in their stores. You have to order online.

I am praying that the new Mann Filter and O-ring will solve my problem. The oil filter cap is not cracked, so I don't see any other culprit.
Appreciate 0