E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ongoing vibration after turning and aggressive accelerating

11-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
djd3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90

Ongoing vibration after turning and aggressive accelerating

Turning at a slow speed and accelerating rather aggressively can trigger a strong vibration / shaking through the car. If I back off on acceleration as soon as the vibration begins and before it has a chance to increase, it will disappear. Otherwise, it continues. Sometimes, it will quit after coasting for a few seconds, but twice it has continued until I stopped the car and turned off the engine. It struck me as engine vibration, but very well could be driveline or fuel system. In the events that continued until stopping the car, a check engine light came on. However, it was off when restarting the car. This never occurs when only accelerating mildly while turning. It has happened with both right and left turns, but seems more prevalent with right turns. Otherwise, it drives nicely at all speeds and handles curves without any issues where I am not accelerating strongly. I'd appreciate any insights!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd3 View Post
Turning at a slow speed and accelerating rather aggressively can trigger a strong vibration / shaking through the car. If I back off on acceleration as soon as the vibration begins and before it has a chance to increase, it will disappear. Otherwise, it continues. Sometimes, it will quit after coasting for a few seconds, but twice it has continued until I stopped the car and turned off the engine. It struck me as engine vibration, but very well could be driveline or fuel system. In the events that continued until stopping the car, a check engine light came on. However, it was off when restarting the car. This never occurs when only accelerating mildly while turning. It has happened with both right and left turns, but seems more prevalent with right turns. Otherwise, it drives nicely at all speeds and handles curves without any issues where I am not accelerating strongly. I'd appreciate any insights!
How are your motor mounts or bushings?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
djd3
Registered
Rep

The mounts seem ok - no signs of contact, not able to find excessive movement, but I haven't gone deeper. I was also wondering if it could be fuel system / injectors, as the vibration felt like a misfiring. However, it seemed odd the way it came and went only under those specific circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

coil. check codes.
      11-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
djd3
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the input. Does it seem odd that the check engine light goes out immediately after the vibration stopped (after restarting car)?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djd3 View Post
...In the events that continued until stopping the car, a check engine light came on....
All those added words and this is the only important part of your post.
Step 1: Did you check the code(s)?
Step 2: Results?

Till you do that, you're going to get nothing but guesses.

I'll start with saying it's the centrifugal force bearings causing wear to the bilateral altoid couplings. Check the rear bumper for evidence of exhaust pipe to diagnose presence of powertrain.

Last edited by MysticRob; 11-14-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0