E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Carly Skoda

01-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Carly Skoda

This maybe a bit of a stupid question but can I use my Carly dongle and app on my dad's Skoda Yeti to do a diagnostic check or does it have to be Skoda specific?
The reason I ask is that his glow plug light came on and the car went in to limp mode. From what I've read the glow plug light is used for all sorts of different faults, but a common problem seems to be the EGR valve sticking or failing which will throw up the glow plug light and put it in limp mode. As far as I know the car is ok now, but I'd like to do a scan to see any fault codes.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Nick
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
This maybe a bit of a stupid question but can I use my Carly dongle and app on my dad's Skoda Yeti to do a diagnostic check or does it have to be Skoda specific?
The reason I ask is that his glow plug light came on and the car went in to limp mode. From what I've read the glow plug light is used for all sorts of different faults, but a common problem seems to be the EGR valve sticking or failing which will throw up the glow plug light and put it in limp mode. As far as I know the car is ok now, but I'd like to do a scan to see any fault codes.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Nick
i forget which models works for carly but im sure you have to pay extra in the app,,ive been looking at carly but would really fancy a foxwell nt510 handheld or the schwaben the foxwell works with any car but have to buy the software for each brand
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

I would say, You can use the Carly plug in but you would need the Carly Skoda app down loaded if they do one...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Ben_jah_min
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI Le Mans Blue M-sport

you'll need VAGCOM / VCDS software to fault scan VAG cars - you can get a 'lite' version from ross tech for free and if you've got an OBDII usb cable then you're good to go (providing you use a PC) you can get the cables for about £3 posted off ebay.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Ben_jah_min
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI Le Mans Blue M-sport

Also if you need schematic diagrams for parts EKTA is the VW parts database.

(currently bootlegged here: http://www.oemepc.com)

Vagcat has been shut down by the look of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
i forget which models works for carly but im sure you have to pay extra in the app,,ive been looking at carly but would really fancy a foxwell nt510 handheld or the schwaben the foxwell works with any car but have to buy the software for each brand
Thats not exactly true, i have the 510, and you buy the software for which ever make you want, i think the BMW package covers BMW, mins (bmw again) and bentley?

anyway, so that gives me the ability to monitor those cars and trigger boxes ect.

BUT i'm pretty sure you can just do an OBD scan and get basic fault codes on any car as i found scanning a vauxhall and an audi.... which is handy
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
fernando155
Rep
Drives: E90

hello mate.

You need the volswagen group app (the carly ones). But I remember that the bmw was free for 1 diagnostic, (with the free trial app), so maybe for the vw is just the same. For the obd should be fine with the same than the bmw.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #8
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

It's not really a problem as a friend is going to be replacing some suspension arms on it soon, so I'll just get him to scan it. Just thought I might be able to do it with carly.
Appreciate 0