E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N53 Nightmare - Help Please!

01-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
basim07
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330i & E90 330D

N53 Nightmare - Help Please!

This is driving me mad. N53 330i.
What would cause a surging acceleration (when accelerating pauses for a second then surges 200-300 revs as if it’s catching up to where it should be) as you increase speed (does it multiple times through the acceleration). Not throwing no codes and at idle completely fine.

Car has been suffering from intermittent misfires cylinder 3 that comes in groups then settles for a few weeks, worse with non shell v power fuel. It was fixed after a coil for four week then came back and the injector is being replaced next week (sparks are also 6 months old NGK)
However it was fine recently until I was accelerating hard and about 3-4000 rpm it suddenly felt like car hit a brick wall and check engine line came on and started misfiring hard cylinders 3,4,5,6 and running really rough, cutting out as I pulled up to lights but when driving off after 1.5k rpm would accelerate not as rough. Limped to garage like that. Checked coded and showed cylinders as above but also crankshaft - inlet camshaft AND crankshaft - camshaft output correlation faults also. Reversed the car to park at garage and it became bad misfiring cutting out as soon as I’d restart the car and try reverse, and wouldn’t start till then codes were cleared.

Since then car starting and running fine except this bogging / surging idle problem

As I said injector on 3 is being replaced next week, but what else could it be as I don’t think a sole cylinder 3 dodgy injector will cause the surging problem especially when at idle it is completely fine!
      01-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Is it an auto....

Edit re read your post.

Hmm. What are you using to read the codes? Seems odd that there would be none, given the symptoms you describe
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
basim07
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330i & E90 330D

Yeah it’s an auto Mate!

So far on my hit list aside from injector are the Vanos solonoids which I’m going to inspect clean and swap around, my only other thoughts are the camshaft sensors are bad?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

I'd be checking the obvious stuff like split intake boot or vacuum leak. Other than that no idea.. sorry!
Appreciate 0