E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > First Time BMW Owner - What is "ABS"?

02-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Alvincy
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

First Time BMW Owner - What is "ABS"?

I looked it up - it has something to do with brakes?

How much is this going to cost me?

I drive a 2011 328i btw

I talked to my friend's dad, he's a mechanic and he sounded concerned - he said this was going to cost a considerable amount of money

EDIT: Photos

Last edited by Alvincy; 02-17-2018 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Yes, very serious and expensive problem. Start gearing up to trade-in the 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Alvincy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Yes, very serious and expensive problem. Start gearing up to trade-in the 328i
How expensive?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alricson View Post
I looked it up - it has something to do with brakes?

How much is this going to cost me?

I drive a 2011 328i btw

I talked to my friend's dad, he's a mechanic and he sounded concerned - he said this was going to cost a considerable amount of money
Antilock Braking System. Yes, it has to do with brakes.

Just guessing, but the cheapest fixes for these are wheel-speed sensors, around a $75 part plus another hour of mechanic time to trouble-shoot and replace - probably a $200 job total (and that's the most common problem with the system.)

However, at the upper end is replacing the valve body/pump, which costs $2500 at dealer prices. Best is to ship it out to be rebuilt - usually around $750 or so.

Look, Mike Miller at BMWCCA says: "BMWs are expensive to buy, expensive to own, and expensive to fix". You bought it, you gotta pay for it. Brakes are way cheaper than transmissions and engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
How expensive?
No way to know until you get the codes read and interpreted. Do that before asking anything else here - we're going to start ignoring any posts that don't have that info, as it's a waste of our time (and yours FTM.)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Alvincy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Antilock Braking System. Yes, it has to do with brakes.

Just guessing, but the cheapest fixes for these are wheel-speed sensors, around a $75 part plus another hour of mechanic time to trouble-shoot and replace - probably a $200 job total (and that's the most common problem with the system.)

However, at the upper end is replacing the valve body/pump, which costs $2500 at dealer prices. Best is to ship it out to be rebuilt - usually around $750 or so.

Look, Mike Miller at BMWCCA says: "BMWs are expensive to buy, expensive to own, and expensive to fix". You bought it, you gotta pay for it. Brakes are way cheaper than transmissions and engines.
Alright I see - hopefully it's something with the wheels, and not the pump (which he was thinking).

Any way of telling from the picture I posted whether it's the wheels or the pump?

Also - in the even that I do need a new pump, could you please give me a link to buy a pump? Or perhaps tell where has the best deal?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How expensive?
I'm just pulling your leg. Probably is just failed sensor
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
95 adjutant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i-Sport Suspension

Quote:
I'm just pulling your leg. Probably is just failed sensor
God, that’s cold blooded
Appreciate 1
gds52886.00
      02-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

If it's the pump module they can be rebuilt for around $250 and takes around a hour to change.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, not sure why feuer is dorking with you but here's some useful information.

ABS stands for Automatic Braking System or Anti-lock Braking System and has been used on cars as early as 1972 on the Lincoln MkII IIRC (Lincoln called it Automatic Braking System). Anti-lock braking system is the more common use of the acronym. Almost all cars for the last 20 years or so have ABS, its so common now, most cars don't even advertise that they have ABS.

It works by a computer-controlled pump that can rapidly control brake pressure and prevent the brakes for locking and the tires sliding on the pavement. In order for the ABS pump to work it needs to know the speed of the wheels so as to tell when the wheel stops rotating and the tire is sliding. There is a wheel speed sensor in each wheel hub (where the wheel attaches to the car's suspension). If the wheel speed sensor breaks, the ABS computer can't monitor the wheel speed and therefore the ABS pump can't work correctly. It is not a dangerous situation because the brakes will still slow the car down like they are supposed to other than in an emergency situation, the ABS system will not prevent the brakes from locking.

The first order of diagnosis is to scan the car with the manufacture's (BMW) scan tool, which will indicate if a wheel speed sensor is defective. There are 4 speed senors, one in each wheel hub. If the scan shows a defective sensor, then the repair is simply replacing the sensor. The senor costs about $90 and about 1 hour of labor. The worst case is the ABS pump is defective. If that is the case, the new pump (they call it an "ABS Module") needs to be replaced, which is an expensive part and a few hours of shop labor to replace.

You must be careful here and find a trustworthy BMW mechanic because an unscrupulous mechanic will know the repair just needs a wheel speed senor but will charge you for an new ABS module but really not replace it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
Alvincy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, not sure why feuer is dorking with you but here's some useful information.

ABS stands for Automatic Braking System or Anti-lock Braking System and has been used on cars as early as 1972 on the Lincoln MkII IIRC (Lincoln called it Automatic Braking System). Anti-lock braking system is the more common use of the acronym. Almost all cars for the last 20 years or so have ABS, its so common now, most cars don't even advertise that they have ABS.

It works by a computer-controlled pump that can rapidly control brake pressure and prevent the brakes for locking and the tires sliding on the pavement. In order for the ABS pump to work it needs to know the speed of the wheels so as to tell when the wheel stops rotating and the tire is sliding. There is a wheel speed sensor in each wheel hub (where the wheel attaches to the car's suspension). If the wheel speed sensor breaks, the ABS computer can't monitor the wheel speed and therefore the ABS pump can't work correctly. It is not a dangerous situation because the brakes will still slow the car down like they are supposed to other than in an emergency situation, the ABS system will not prevent the brakes from locking.

The first order of diagnosis is to scan the car with the manufacture's (BMW) scan tool, which will indicate if a wheel speed sensor is defective. There are 4 speed senors, one in each wheel hub. If the scan shows a defective sensor, then the repair is simply replacing the sensor. The senor costs about $90 and about 1 hour of labor. The worst case is the ABS pump is defective. If that is the case, the new pump (they call it an "ABS Module") needs to be replaced, which is an expensive part and a few hours of shop labor to replace.

You must be careful here and find a trustworthy BMW mechanic because an unscrupulous mechanic will know the repair just needs a wheel speed senor but will charge you for an new ABS module but really not replace it.
Thank you - and thank everyone else for the replies!

I'll update you guys.

- One last thing! Do you think I'll have to go to a BMW dealership to get the wheels scan (like, can only BMW dealerships scan?) or would my friend's mechanic be able to do that?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
Alvincy
Rep

Weren't people were saying $2,500 though?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

It is because I got very bored reading your anecdotically backed up factual info and decided to joke around a little. My apologies to OP. The light on that dash are amber. So probably something minor. When red is more serious. The ABS system we have these days is electronically controlled and we need to thank Mwrcedes Benz for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

IF you don't even know what ABS stands for then you probably shouldn't be messing around with used BMWs or European cars in general. If you MUST have a BMW or any European car for that matter, then I'd recommend getting a brand new one with full warranty or at least a CPO (with warranty).

99% of guys on this forum have at least SOME general car knowledge, maybe not BMW specific knowledge, but most people here know how to turn a wrench or top off basic fluids.

The terminology "ABS" falls under general car knowledge. It is not BMW specific. ABS stands for "Anti-locking Braking System".

As a general rule of thumb. 95% of cars 1990 or newer will have ABS. 100% of passenger cars 2000 or newer will have ABS.

Not sure where or who you purchased this car from but I hope you got it for a significant discount. ABS systems are very expensive to repair. I also have a 2003 Toyota Sienna with 119k, it was purchased brand new. It's a one owner vehicle. Around 90k miles, my ABS light went off and the ABS no longer works. I've tested it on ice/snowy roads to confirm that it no longer works. It could be a pump or just some sensors, I took it to a mechanic and they quoted me $950 for the repair. The van was only worth $1,500! I decided to not get it fixed. Been driving for well over 3 years and nearly 30k miles with the ABS light on and zero issues.

Here's the bottom line. I know some people on this forum are going to tear me apart for saying this but a car is 100% fine without ABS. Sure, you could argue that you'll lock up the wheels when braking on snow or ice, but if you're locking up that means you are not a very experienced driver. SLOW THE FUCK DOWN, BRAKE EARLIER AND LESS AGGRESSIVELY WHEN DRIVING IN INCLEMENT WEATHER AND YOU WILL HAVE NO ISSUES WITH LOCKING UP THE WHEELS.

Even if you do lock up, just let go of the brake pedal and reapply brakes but gradually. Don't stomp on it.

Given your lack of knowledge of cars, and the fact that you're behind the wheel of a BMW, 99% of mechanics will take advantage of this situation and rip you off. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #15
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any car parts store can scan the fault codes for free but the code will be generic and possibly not completely accurate. However it will give you an idea of what is going on. Sorry about the joke earlier.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #16
Alvincy
Rep

Quote:
Any car parts store can scan the fault codes for free but the code will be generic and possibly not completely accurate. However it will give you an idea of what is going on. Sorry about the joke earlier.
It's fine man lol
Appreciate 1
feuer4277.00
      02-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #17
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
That’s if you go to the dealer, where they charge $200 for an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #18
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
IF you don't even know what ABS stands for then you probably shouldn't be messing around with used BMWs or European cars in general.

Given your lack of knowledge of cars, and the fact that you're behind the wheel of a BMW, 99% of mechanics will take advantage of this situation and rip you off. Good luck.
Cut him some slack man.

We all have to learn at some point. 8 years ago I was taking my vehicle to a shop for oil changes. Now I’ve done engine swaps, suspension mods, wiring, etc.

While BMWs have a steep learning curve, the fact that he even joined the forum to learn about his issue is a good thing.
Appreciate 4
feuer4277.00
Efthreeoh17438.00
King Rudi13159.00
      02-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #19
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Cut him some slack man.

We all have to learn at some point. 8 years ago I was taking my vehicle to a shop for oil changes. Now I’ve done engine swaps, suspension mods, wiring, etc.

While BMWs have a steep learning curve, the fact that he even joined the forum to learn about his issue is a good thing.
Ok I guess. I just hope he got a REALLY good deal on that 2011 328i. Because the mechanic is gonna rip him off for sure. ABS systems are just complicated to repair or even diagnose properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No parts store is going to find codes for the OP's problem with his ABS, unless it has a BMW scan tool. Auto parts stores only have OBDII code readers. OBDII is a diagnostics system for emissions related faults. All OBDII codes for every car are exactly the same, that is the purpose of OBDII was mandated as a Federal law for 1996 model year cars and newer so that every manufacturer had to comply to a federally mandated set of fault codes. OBDII started as a California Air Resources Board (CARB) mandate for cars in California that was adopted by the Federal DOT.

The OP's car needs to be scanned with a BMW scan tool to find out what the trouble code (fault code) is with his ABS.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-17-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you - and thank everyone else for the replies!

I'll update you guys.

- One last thing! Do you think I'll have to go to a BMW dealership to get the wheels scan (like, can only BMW dealerships scan?) or would my friend's mechanic be able to do that?
You need a BMW scan tool. If your friend has a BMW scan tool, then he can diagnose it. There are many BMW scan tools to choose from. You can go to an independent BMW shop and they will be able to diagnose the ABS. Perhaps your friend knows of an independent BMW shop you can take your car to have it scanned.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #22
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No parts store is going to find codes for the OP's problem with his ABS, unless it has a BMW scan tool. Auto parts stores only have OBDII code readers. OBDII is a diagnostics system for emissions related faults. All OBDII codes for every car are exactly the same, that is the purpose of OBDII was mandated as a Federal law for 1996 model year cars and newer so that every manufacturer had to comply to a federally mandated set of fault codes. OBDII started as a California Air Resources Board (CARB) mandate for cars in California that was adopted by the Federal DOT.

The OP's car needs to be scanned with a BMW scan tool to find out what the trouble code (fault code) is with his ABS.
Absolutely not true. On my personal BMW autozone read steering position sensor. O'Rileys even deleted reduced power coded cause by my wife jumping the clutch few times in a row. They have all kind of hand held devices, scanners and programmers for rent and purchase..Is matter of asking the right person the right question.
Appreciate 0