E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Leaking injectors (video)

03-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
Milehighbmw
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi

Leaking injectors (video)

I'm new to this forum. I owned an 02 330ci up until recently buying this 07 335xi (with issues) so far I love it. For a some reason (maybe my phone) I can't search. When I tap the search box to type it disappears.

I'm sure this has been covered but as I stated I can't search.

Issue 1.....

My fuel injectors are leaking. They leak very little on startup. They leak a little more when engine is warm. But when I turn the car off they leak enough to fill the valley on top of the head.

I'm assuming I just need to replace the o rings. That's my plan as of now anyway. If any of y'all have advice or suggestions please let me know.

Last edited by Milehighbmw; 03-05-2018 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #2
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

Ok, you really need to address that ASAP, it's a huge fire risk. The 335i uses a high-pressure direct-fuel injection system. You need to tighten the metal fuel lines running to the individual fuel injectors. The torque spec is 18 foot pounds with oiled threads. People commonly under-torque the fuel lines. There are no o-rings. If you find copper crush washers, BMW says to discard them, they are not needed.

When you said leaking injectors, I thought they were leaking into the cylinders. That's another fairly common but separate issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Milehighbmw
Rep

I definitely agree with the fire risk. I don't think I ever would have found it if I wouldn't have drove it with the vanity covers off. I was searching for Boost leaks went on a quick drive and when I got back in the garage I realized it.

They aren't leaking from the top of the injectors. The fuel is coming up from where the injector sits down inside the head. I was assuming they would be a leak from these (O-rings) injector seals or whatever they're called?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...czCDzUQgjYIgAQ
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep

That should not be possible, there's just a small mist of fuel getting pushed into the cylinder. Even if those seals were leaking, you wouldn't have liquid fuel getting pushed up. Those seals are very important though, and it takes special tools to replace them. If those seals leak, combustion gasses will flame cut the head and destroy it. I have the precision Raceworks injector tool, it's very nice for replacing those seals. Also make sure the decoupler rings are in place, they are VERY inportant.
As far as the fuel leak, it's almost certainly coming from somewhere higher up. Check the tops of the injectors where the fuel supply is, and check the metal fuel lines themselves. That quantity of fuel is coming from a supply line. Remember the system runs at 2000psi, so a tiny leak can amount to a lot of fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
Milehighbmw
Rep

I'll take a video of it tonight if I can figured out how to post it. It's clearly squirting out from down inside the head where the injectors are seated. I'm new to this car so I really don't know. Like I said very little comes out when it's running soon as I turn it off it pushes out pretty fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #6
Milehighbmw
Rep

Bump for video

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, from what I can see, it looks like bubbles coming up the injector well. If fuel were leaking out the injector tip, it would simply pour into the cylinder and you would never see it.
I think somebody monkeyed around with the car in a misguided attempt to fix some issue. I have bought 2 non-running 335i's, I have seen some things....
Here's my theory:
The car has some kind of issue. Reading about the injector issues online, previous owner thinks it must be injectors. Pricing them online he realizes that new injectors are REALLY expensive, but used ones aren't. He nabs a set of used injectors on the cheap and slaps them in. He probably doesn't know the torque spec, or that the injector seals and decouplers MUST be replaced any time you install injectors. He also might not realize that each injector has calibration digits that must be coded into the engine computer. So, either one or more injectors is broken and leaking from somewhere above the seal, or one or more of the fuel lines is cracked or under-torqued. Fuel leaks out and pools, and the old injector seal allows combustion gasses to bubble up the injector well.

I would suggest getting the Precision Raceworks injector tool, and a set of injector seals and decouplers. Tool is like $80, seals are under $3 each, and decouplers are under $2 each if you find the special part number from FCP. Remove all injectors, replace and size all seals, replace all decouplers, torque fuel lines to spec(18ft-lbs) with oiled threads. Make sure hold-down brackets are installed correctly. Also check that the calibration digits on each injector match the coding in the DME.
Let me know if you want BMW service guides or software, I'll send them for free.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Milehighbmw
Rep

Thank you..... For some reason last night it was hard to get it bubbling. The night before it literally filled the valleys on the head.

I already ordered the injector seals decouplers and tools. Figured it was a cheap easy task to perform before changing injectors. (They are expensive).

As far as the coding I'm completely computer illiterate. I have a cheap INPA disc and cable I ordered off ebay. I can get it to connect to the car and that's about it. Things come up in German and I'm lost. Not sure if that's even what I need for coding? I've tried downloading ISPA but can't figure out how.....again illiterate. If you'd really be willing to help with this part I'd be very appreciative.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #9
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll PM you a software set.
Unfortunately all of the INPA versions since about 2003 are in German. I use my phone with the Google translate camera running, it works pretty well.

ISTA+ is absolutely amazing and completely in English, but the install is more technical. And it takes about 25GB on disk.
Appreciate 0