E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Gear shift locked and battery dies

03-04-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
Cbm971
Rep
Drives: e60 and e90

Gear shift locked and battery dies

So my 2006 325i got in a minorish crash. the airbag deployed, a bush made the radiator leak (I think because for the past 2 months i've been trying to open the hood) and there is a wheel crooked. anyways my problem is simply, how do I move it? let me explain, as many of you don't know because my first post got exactly 0 replies (That's fine I like being lonely) I got a 07 530i after my firsth car crashed, damn guard rail didn't use his blinkers. here's the thing, my e90 is in my concrete driveway staying clean, my e60 has to park in the mud... I like to take good care of my cars (despite every other line on this post) I even spent an hour to fix that little light thingy on the cigarette lighter area cause only one was lighting up and I have the mechanical skills of a toddler. why are they called cigarette lighters? not related. ANYWAYS the actual problems. I charge my e90 through the battery in the trunk, I reconnected the terminal thingy, everything was locked up! a few screens, service this this doesn't work, most of that was there before the crash, but after I charge it, it doesn't go in neutral! every thing acts locked up! well sorta, I wouldn't dare start it without opening the hood, I got it in neutral maually despite the rest of this misleading ramble fest of a post. hmmm I wonder why my first one got ignored? this is why I have no friends. anyways for all of you still reading AKA me in an hour after refreshing for answers, the gear shifter was locked, the steering wheel was locked, and nothing would work. is there some sort of mode thingy that keeps things from working after a crash? the steering wheel is the actual reason I couldn't move it (Even after getting my sisters help to push! cars are heavy..) but how would I go about moving it... over. I can push is straight forward or straight back. I need it over to the side. Any idea why stuff is locked? Idea on how to move it? will crowly come back on supernatural? oh and did I mention my battery dies in like 15 seconds now. not literally 15 seconds but a couply minutes. even with that good trunk to trunk BMW juice!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Cbm971
Rep

Wow guys thanks for the help I forgot how helpful this community was
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Does anyone use paragraph breaks anymore? It makes your post unreadable. Grammar is hard!
      03-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Your post is almost completely unreadable, but you need to replace or bypass the battery safety terminal after an accident. Also charging a BMW directly at the battery is asking for trouble. Use the charging posts under the hood or disconnect the battery from the vehicle.

Locked steering wheel and shifter sound like EWS(search security) and possibly bad clockspring.

Last edited by dsjr2006; 03-05-2018 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

There's a battery safety terminal or BST in the trunk. If airbags deploy, the terminal explodes, cutting power to most of the car in order to prevent fire. Technically you should replace the BST, but for testing purposes, you can mash the terminal back together with channel locks.

You need to get that hood open, there's a bowden cable running from the release lever to the hood latches that probably broke. You may need to remove the kidney grills and see if you can access the releases.

As far as a simple way to move the car sideways, look at Harbor Freight wheel dollies. You jack the car up, put the little dolly/skate under each wheel, and push the car sideways. You might need a couple people.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbm971 View Post
So my 2006 325i got in a minorish crash.
the airbag deployed, a bush made the radiator leak (I think because for the past 2 months i've been trying to open the hood) and there is a wheel crooked.

anyways my problem is simply, how do I move it? let me explain, as many of you don't know because my first post got exactly 0 replies (That's fine I like being lonely)

I got a 07 530i after my first car crashed, damn guard rail didn't use his blinkers.

here's the thing, my e90 is in my concrete driveway staying clean, my e60 has to park in the mud... I like to take good care of my cars (despite every other line on this post) I even spent an hour to fix that little light thingy on the cigarette lighter area cause only one was lighting up and I have the mechanical skills of a toddler. why are they called cigarette lighters? not related.

ANYWAYS the actual problems. I charge my e90 through the battery in the trunk, I reconnected the terminal thingy, everything was locked up! a few screens, service this this doesn't work, most of that was there before the crash, but after I charge it, it doesn't go in neutral! every thing acts locked up! well sorta,

I wouldn't dare start it without opening the hood, I got it in neutral manually
despite the rest of this misleading ramble fest of a post. hmmm I wonder why my first one got ignored? this is why I have no friends. anyways for all of you still reading AKA me in an hour after refreshing for answers,

the gear shifter was locked, the steering wheel was locked, and nothing would work. is there some sort of mode thingy that keeps things from working after a crash? the steering wheel is the actual reason I couldn't move it (Even after getting my sisters help to push! cars are heavy..) but how would I go about moving it... over. I can push is straight forward or straight back. I need it over to the side.

Any idea why stuff is locked? Idea on how to move it? will slowly come back on supernatural? oh and did I mention my battery dies in like 15 seconds now. not literally 15 seconds but a couple minutes. even with that good trunk to trunk BMW juice!
Pics of the battery and front of the car would be helpful. I tend to agree with other posters regarding the post-crash state of the car.

You should remove the battery and have it fully charged at an auto parts store. There's no reason why it should die in a couple of minutes. These cars are known to have erratic electrical behavior when the battery is failing. But from the sounds of it, your car has other issues.

PS: The "cigarette lighter" is there because the original owner purchased the "Smoker's Package" which includes a 12V resistance heated coil that is used to light cigarettes. Now most cars just have the same thing labeled as a power socket. That little space next to it with the lights shining on it is removable, that's the ash tray.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
Cbm971
Rep

Thank you. I can't get the hood open, otherwise i would charge it at the hood thingy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Cbm971
Rep

I feel so bad for getting impatient! 3 of the 4 people who replied where super nice and helpful!!! despite my tendency to ramble. anyways, i'll remove the kidney to get the hood open. i'll post pics of the car in a second.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Cbm971
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Your post is almost completely unreadable, but you need to replace or bypass the battery safety terminal after an accident. Also charging a BMW directly at the battery is asking for trouble. Use the charging posts under the hood or disconnect the battery from the vehicle.

Locked steering wheel and shifter sound like EWS(search security) and possibly bad clockspring.
Thank you!!! My first post never got replies and I tend to ramble and stuff, so my post seemed eradic and unreadable, anyways imma google EWS and the other things and post pictures. thanks for the help though!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
Cbm971
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Does anyone use paragraph breaks anymore? It makes your post unreadable. Grammar is hard!
everybody but you was surprisingly helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I saw where you are located and it made a lot of sense.
      03-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #12
Cbm971
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
Pics of the battery and front of the car would be helpful. I tend to agree with other posters regarding the post-crash state of the car.

You should remove the battery and have it fully charged at an auto parts store. There's no reason why it should die in a couple of minutes. These cars are known to have erratic electrical behavior when the battery is failing. But from the sounds of it, your car has other issues.

PS: The "cigarette lighter" is there because the original owner purchased the "Smoker's Package" which includes a 12V resistance heated coil that is used to light cigarettes. Now most cars just have the same thing labeled as a power socket. That little space next to it with the lights shining on it is removable, that's the ash tray.
Here are the pictures. I am new to this site and haven't been on a forum in 6 years, so hopefully I did this right
Attached Images

Last edited by Cbm971; 03-11-2018 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: the pictures are not attached
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
Cbm971
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I saw where you are located and it made a lot of sense.
I'm just saying, if you don't like my incoherent writing style, and you have nothing useful to say you don't have to post anything. no reason to act like I shit in your cheerios. someone below you mentioned my typing style also, and they had the most useful post on here because it was actually useful to the post. I'm sure somebody also read it partly and didn't reply because they either couldn't help or had trouble following along with the point of the post, but nobody went through and read it then took the time out of there lives to respond in an unhelpful, un-comedic way. except for you. and that's fine, I like conversations even unpleasant ones, but I don't understand the need to try and belittle people. I mean, you must have better things to do than insult someones paragraph structure on a car forum.
Appreciate 1
dsjr2006157.00
      03-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
What’s up with the 5 series headlight in the smashed up 3 series?

Your hood is not something you will be repairing, so I’d work on bending it back so that you can get it open. There are two locks and a center latch
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Cbm971
Rep

Quote:

Your hood is not something you will be repairing, so I’d work on bending it back so that you can get it open. There are two locks and a center latch
Most body panels need to be replaced on the smashed up 3 series. 2 locks and a center latch. got it. I guess i'll start bending at the hood, or removing the (Broken) kidneys, or cutting it open with a saw zaw. and the 5 series headlight is from my other bimmer. it came with a busted headlight that had to be replaced, when I took out the old one I just slid it in the 3 series headlight hole. the 3 series headlight assembly is in 3 or 4 pieces and I got bored
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #16
Cbm971
Rep

Quote:

Thank you! Does my battery looked like everything is attached right?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #17
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbm971 View Post
Thank you! Does my battery looked like everything is attached right?
Looks like it's attached properly in the pic, but you'll need to lift the cover to actually see the battery safety terminal. If the airbags went, its pretty much a guarantee the BST blew which disconnects most of the electrical systems for safety. Google "E90 Battery Safety Terminal" for more info there.

The battery appears to be original and it likely needs replacement if it is, but I wouldn't worry about it or keep messing with electrical until you replace the BST. The electronics in these vehicles are sensitive and hooking up a charger to the terminals in the rear is not a good idea, and you can't drive the car anyway.

To get the hood open you will need to remove the kidney grilles to get access to the hood latches and cable. If you're careful they can be pulled out without damaging them. If the hood is damaged too severely from the accident you'll have to figure out you're own way to open it. There are two latches, one next to each headlight. The safety catch is in the center, but that's the least of your problems.