E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Condensation in left headlight

03-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep
Drives: your mom

Condensation in left headlight

I left for a weekend, and upon returning i noticed condensation inside the headlight cover. I doubt i can remove the condensation and find the break in the seal, so ill be replacing the lens guided by a youtube video that utilizes a heat gun and a screwdriver as opposed to an oven. What do i use to reseal the new lens? Also, i found a guy who sells them (BimmerJakes.com) and im wondering; can I get a new OEM quality lens for cheaper than what he sells them for? Looking for input from those who have done this themselves and can help me understand what to do and what not to do.
      03-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

Here is a link for rubber seals

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php...utyl-glue.html

I think others have used some kind of sealant to seal their headlights ..
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I'd first check other sources for leaks before assuming it is the permanent seal along the lens.

Is there any physical damage to the headlight? Check around the top tabs carefully.

Was the rear removable cover out of place? This sometimes gets replaced after a bulb change but not snapped down all the way.

If those check out, then go ahead and replace the lens.

You can dry out the headlight with heated air, but this is best done on the workbench. Just remove the rear cover and point a hair dryer at it. Eventually the water will evaporate into the heated air and get carried out of the headlight. Take care not to overheat any plastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

I wouldn't overreact and start opening the headlight up just yet.

First thing I'd do is open up that headlight cover on top of the headlight and either let it dry out naturally, or pop a hair dryer in there for a few minutes. After it dries out, I'd spray some water over the headlight to see what the situation is.

If it does indeed need to be resealed, I recommend putting it in the cover versus the heat gun so you'll get even coverage. It'll make your life alot easier. Then use butyl rubber sealant around the original seal and that should do the trick.
      03-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep
Drives: your mom

All great advice. Ill be checking this out today. my headlights were customized by Lightwerkz a long time ago, including the addition of demon eyes. Im sure a seal went bad somewhere. However, the lens was starting to oxidize rapidly and requiring lots of buffing to keep it looking good, so im up to replace it anyways. I just want to make sure i do things right and get a good deal when i shop around.