F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > No rear brakes(?)
proTUNING Freaks

03-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
JLStock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i XDrive

Garage List
No rear brakes(?)

I purchased an R title 2014 428i XDrive with 24K Miles in November. Had slight issues so far but nothing too bad.
My front pads are at 600 Miles remaining while my rear brakes are at 60K. I fear that my back brakes are not working. What would be the cause? I am bringing to a trusted garage on Wednesday.
Another note, not sure if this is normal. While driving home from work I was gradually stopping for a red light. I decided to use the emergency brake instead on my (front) brakes. I was surprised that I felt very little brake when I pulled up an inch, inch and a half. I was going about 20 mph and The car finally came to a gradual stop when I slowly lifter e-brake lever all the way up.
And yes - I tried the search option many times before asking this question😏
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
tpliquid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330i wagon

maybe air in line. how do u know rear is not working? is the abs kicking in early?
ebrake usually wont lock up the wheels if you were tying to do that? they are manually operated so you will need to pull up very hard to get brake engagement. its like no power brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
JLStock
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the reply. I had brake lines flushed a few months ago. No ABS lights coming on. I see what you are saying about the e-brake, I just thought I would feel the brakes sooner and with less effort.
The reason I am questioning the rear brakes is that with 60K Miles left on the rear and 600 Miles left on the front, it seems like the fronts are doing all the work.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #4
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Just to clarify. F30 has a good old fashion wired emergency brake!

The "normal" rear brake is operated hydraulic with the caliper and pads "outside" of the rear rotor, the emergency brake is connected with a wire rope to the emergency brake pad mounted "inside" of the rear rotor.

Pushing the brake pedal you will use only the normal hydraulic brake connected to the front and rear calipers and rotors. The emergency brake will not be used, pushing the brake pedal.

Therefore the emergency brake is almost never in use. When you then lift the emergency brake lever the emergency brake normally has a bad brake effort. Dust, rost because of not using the emergency brake for long are the cause.
I recommend to brake down the care once every month a few times with the emergency brake from 40mph to 0. Repeat 5 to 10 times until you feel that the brake force has improved.
(Just avoid, that the emergency brake will overheat while doing this)

Normally this helps to improve the emergency brake force. If not, you need to take it to the shop for a service.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
JLStock
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLStock View Post
My front pads are at 600 Miles remaining while my rear brakes are at 60K.
That indicates that the wear sensor on the front brakes has been tripped. When that happens it will indicate 1000 miles initially and then count down from there. The 60K on the rears probably means they were replaced not long before you bought the car. Front brakes do most of the work, but the pads are some 25% thicker and also considerably larger than the rear pads.
The emergency brake is really a parking brake. It's intent isn't to bring the car to a stop, it's to keep the car from rolling if parked on an incline and somehow is left in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
JLStock
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the reply. I just posted this on another thread.
I just replaced front pads. To my surprise, the inside of front rotors are bad so I now have to replace rotors. The inside pads on both sides were worn much more than the outside pads. I tried to reset service interval 6 times. Progress bar came up and ended with update unsuccessful.
And yeah, I was talking to the guy at parts store about my e-brake and he told me the same thing. Felt like a dumbass when I realized that the brake used in car drifting video’s is different than my parking brake. Now you bring it up again to hurt my feeling��
Appreciate 0