E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water leak, I know beaten to death

03-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
lconn
08 335I Sport,Premium,Auto,Blk/Blk,JB4,DCI,Alpina
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Water leak, I know beaten to death

Couple of questions. 1: Do you clean out the sunroof drains with weedeater string or what? I assume you're starting at the visible holes at the front of the sunroof. 2: How does the water get in that area to begin with, I don't see a gap.
My car is leaking water like a sieve and I don't think it can be the sunroof or the vapor barriers. In a good rain it will collect an inch of standing water on the floor. I would think that would have to point to something with a lot of exposed surface area that can act like a funnel.
Odd thing is that if it is parked nose up on my driveway the water is only in the rear passenger floor. If pointed nose down it is only in the drivers front floor. I sealed the front air intakes to the the holes over the cabin air filter in case it was leaking somehow but no joy. I'm guessing the last choice is a bad seal around the bottom of the windshield but not sure how the water is getting routed if that's it. Can the windshield somehow funnel water to the A/C ducts in the console and a leak there route it?
Any ideas will help, this has been a long term problem and it's getting old.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
AtlantaDan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Msport Touring

Went through this myself.

Remove lower plastic sill plates. Remove footwell upper and side trim. Open the sunroof and grab a turkey baster. Get a bowl of water. Stand in the doorjamb and shoot water into the drain hole in the front. You should see it come out under the car at a good clip. Watch the lower inner door jamb for water. It can run along the inside of the headliner and down the inner a-pillar and you'll never see it until it dumps on the carpet. Pulling the inner covers will let you see it easily. Repeat for the other corners of the sunroof. If it drains well and you don't see it coming in the car, move along.

Close the sunroof but keep the sunshade open. Get the correct torx bit and a plastic trim picker and go to town removing the visors, grab handles, and a-pillar covers. You have to pop-out the plastic airbag medallions on the a-pillars to get to the torx fastener behind them. Pull the door seals away from the upper door jambs. Pull the lower b-pillar covers, then the uppers. The plastic push-fasteners will come flying out so track them and bag them. Pull the inner sunroof seal out completely. The headliner will drop enough to gain a very good vantage point of all of the drain points on the cassette. Believe it or not - all of that only takes about 15 minutes.

Grab a hose - no nozzle and turn it on about halfway. Close the door opposite to the side you're working on, and open the door on your side. Put the water flow directly over the corners of the sunroof furthest from you while you watch the underside of the sunroof cassette. If you have a leak, this'll show it 99% of the time. It may be the sunroof seal itself, but this is actually pretty rare. The sunroof seal will actually allow some water through even when new. It's the job of the drains to get rid of it.

In my case, this didn't show the leak, so if that's you - move along to step 3.

Close the door opposite to you and keep the inner lower sill plate and footwell covers off. Drape the hose over the roof of the car and turn up the flow a bit. Get a good gusher. Position the flow so it runs directly down the window glass and hits the window seal. Wait and watch from the inside of the car. For me, that's when I saw the waterfall into the floor area. I peeled off the doorpanel and saw where someone had gotten in there to repair a broken window and destroyed the butyl seal between the plastic liner and the door. Clear as day.

Get replacement butyl seal tape from NAPA for $15 and re-seal the plastic. Don't bother with caulk of any sort - it won't work, and/or won't last. Butyl tape = Problem solved.

I had exactly zero success with fishing weedeater line down there. It went in about 6" and stopped. (Get your mind out of the gutter...)

Last edited by AtlantaDan; 03-06-2018 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: EDIT - added info.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:31 AM   #3
sfarisminhas
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 Saloon 2011

I'm actually sick to death with this vapour barrier problem. I purchased new butyl tape, thoroughly cleaned the doors, checked the drain holes at the bottom of the door. The problem has improved significantly but I can still see small droplets on the sill now and then. I really don't have the patience for activities like this. So this weekend I'll be replacing all the door clips which include new gaskets and I'll be using Gorilla Tape All Weather Extreme Tape to seal the vapour barrier perimeter all the way around. If the window regulators fail, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but right now I'd rather have a permanent seal and a dry interior rather than a weak membrane, wet carpets and a potential window regulator that might not fail!
Appreciate 0