E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is this oil on the exhaust manifold?

04-28-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Is this oil on the exhaust manifold?

Hi All,

cars been off the road for some time and I started it up a while back and I noticed some smoke coming down by the DPF area. I didn't think much of it as it had been stood for some weeks and it cleared after a few minutes, I then decided to take a quick video around the area as I was told when the turbo was replaced that the rocker cover gasket was saturated in oil but not leaking. So i took the video and I noticed this in the video:

Here's the video I originally took. I've watched the video a few times and despite being able to see the top of the manifold also being saturated I can't actually see it coming from the rocker cover?

https://youtu.be/bp--FFZVnwk
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Very possible it is the rocker/valve cover. It's a very common leak point. The gasket is rubber, so if it "looks saturated", it's leaking. Keep in mind, these valve covers themselves like to crack and leak, as well, not just the gasket. Also, with the engine being angled towards the right side of the car, that's where the leak will occur/show first.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Very possible it is the rocker/valve cover. It's a very common leak point. The gasket is rubber, so if it "looks saturated", it's leaking. Keep in mind, these valve covers themselves like to crack and leak, as well, not just the gasket. Also, with the engine being angled towards the right side of the car, that's where the leak will occur/show first.
Yes, I just wanted to double check first before I start stripping the car down. My only concern at the moment is pulling the injectors, I believe they'll be stuck in pretty good at 148k so I'm trying to see if there's a way I can pull them without actually having an injector pull tool.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

This is a diesel, right? On the N54, injectors don't need to come out to replace valve cover/gasket. Is it different on the diesels?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 05:53 AM   #5
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
This is a diesel, right? On the N54, injectors don't need to come out to replace valve cover/gasket. Is it different on the diesels?
Unfortunately yes mate, it can also be verified looking at the preliminary tasks for the cylinder head cover removal on newtis as can be seen here:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...th-lid/I6HyAmX

I'll probably start on stripping it down today just so I can see whether the injectors might rotate and then pull out without the need for an injector removal tool, it will also be good to give them a clean, can't imagine what they look like 148k in haha.
Appreciate 0