F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M-Sport Brakes - Brake Pad Sounds
proTUNING Freaks

06-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
M-Sport Brakes - Brake Pad Sounds

Hi All,

I installed M-Sport brakes this past winter when my stock brakes came to the end of their life. I'm having a weird issue, there is a constant (And extremely ANNOYING) loud sound coming from them whenever I drive. Functionally, they work, great. But the sound of the brake pads against the rotors is finally getting on my last nerve. Anyone have any advice on how to remediate it? I've taken the pads out and spun the rotor, it's silent as a mouse. Wen the pads are put back in, the sound returns. Imagine how loud it gets as I drive faster on the highway, it's SO BAD! Here's the link to the video: https://mshawk-my.sharepoint.com/:v:...aWaUQ?e=nOPrx7

I've attached pictures of the drivers and passenger side. My friend asked if they were correct since his jeep (I know bleah lol) rotor slots are pointing the opposite direction on his drivers side. Verify they are indeed correct on my car?

-NVE
Attached Images

Last edited by NVETHIS; 06-15-2018 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Upload Pics
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Ah that sound, I remember when I first came across it and thought something was "off" when the dealer installed it. So basically it's when air is passing through the groves and dimples inside the rotors, it's what causes the hissing sound that you hear. It's something you'll have to live with because it honestly used to bother me as it was the first mod I did to my car but fortunately for me, an exhaust and catted DP quickly made me forget about it. Occasionally, I'd be reminded of it when driving on the highway next to a column would I hear it but I've grown accustomed to it.

Beware of brake squeak though, tends to happen on the pads when they get lower and will need to be chamfered but that's a whole other topic
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
VVlasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i xDrive GC with MPPSK

I do not have M-Perf rotors, I bought Zimmermand slotted rotors, and that is when mine started to have the same noise, I think it is created by a turbulence withing the dimples as the brake pad passes over them very closely.

Edit: Someone was faster
Appreciate 1