E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > P*ssed Off!!!!!

06-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
P*ssed Off!!!!!

Got up this morning at 5.30am and drove all the way around the M25 "car park" in rush hour traffic to get to D&D in Staines to have my H&R springs fitted. Got their around 8am and left my car in the capable hands of Joe and went shopping. Called around 11am for a progress update to learn that my rear springs had been done but they couldnt find the locking wheel nut to take the wheels off to do the fronts. They spent an hour searching the whole car. I walked all the way back to assist in the hunt but to no avail. So mightily pissed off. I have never had cause or reason to ever need the locking wheel nut - but somehow its gone missing. I couldnt bear the idea of them putting the old springs back on, paying them at least 2 hours labour, driving all the way home and having to source a new locking nut from BMW and then rebooking car back in and driving all the way back and blah blah blah. So, the only option they have left is to drill the 2 front nuts out. They said it could take a while to get them out. Knowing my luck it will take all day, cost me a fortune in labour and damage my alloys at same time. Better still they wont be able to get nuts out but still have to charge me a days labour for trying and i will have to drive home with my cars front end up in the air with my arse dragging on the ground - ggggreat!! Im sat in an internet cafe waiting for news. I dare not call in case its bad news again.

Will let you know what happened later. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Doesn't sound too good, can be a pain to drill locking wheel nuts off but usually anyone competant shouldn't have a problem doing it! Good Luck!

Just remember to buy some more when you get your car back, I always put my locking wheel nut in my cars tool box / roll, so you can't lose it.

Front Engined Porsche

Last edited by Porscha!; 06-24-2008 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Wow, that really sucks, sorry. Not sure if you are looking for sympathy or what...that has never happened to me, but it sounds like a crappy situation. Hopefully they get the locks off with no problems or issues and you'll have your car back and finished in time to avoid traffic going back home.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Sorry to hear your news mate. How did they do the rears without the locking wheel nut? Or did they lose it between doing the rears and the fronts?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Just also been wondering how the rear's were done....
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

If they got the rears off they had the nut, I think you need to look into this a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

They Make A Tool That Bites Onto The Out Side And Grips Acting As The Locking Tool Wrench
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Was it not an idea to pop to the local dealer and get another one??
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
If they got the rears off they had the nut, I think you need to look into this a bit more.
+1 They lost it
      06-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Quote:
After reading this properly I'm wondering the same!! Maybe they lost it?

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Sorry to hear of such a distressing tale Bay, but as other's have commented, it does seem a strange story.

Leaving the 'lost' nut to one side (which on the face of it, they did!),did no one think to pop to a local dealer and beg,steal or borrow one (nut),drilling them off would take far longer than jumping in a car and getting hold of a nut somehow.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Was it not an idea to pop to the local dealer and get another one??
something similar happened to me , well actually i thought i had lost it and then it turned up somewhere .... anyway , aparently all the locking nuts are slightly different so you cant just walk into a dealer and get one size fits all. Good thing isnt it though , if there was one standard bmw one then any old dodgy character would have a key to our wheels !!

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Ok - im finally home and alls well that ends well as they say. Basically, they managed to fit the rear springs without having to remove wheels - it was when they went to start the fronts that they couldnt find the nut. Suffice it to say that after i had left them after lunch with permission to drill the nuts off - i had a call from Joe to say he had found the nut under the back seat!!! Someone (and no it wasnt me!) had obviously not placed the nut securely in its holder in the boot and it had rolled around the boot until it lost itself somewhere under the rear seat area. Who knows?? But find it they did gawd bless 'em and no drilling was required. Ive written a brief write up in a new thread about the car pre and post lowering.

ps; i have to say that Joe at D&D in Staines is a fantastic bloke and although his guys were trying to sort my missing nut for over an hour and meant my car was on their ramps for far longer than the 4 hours booked in for it - he still only charged me £180 all in. Very impressed with the level of service and highly recommend his garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

nice one mate, i might get mine lowered now but maybe somewhere between stock and H&R euro race?! after seeing HCs it looked a bit 'gangsta' low for me! also dont fancy ripping off my front bumper with the 5-10 large speed bumps on the way to work...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Ok - im finally home and alls well that ends well as they say. Basically, they managed to fit the rear springs without having to remove wheels - it was when they went to start the fronts that they couldnt find the nut. Suffice it to say that after i had left them after lunch with permission to drill the nuts off - i had a call from Joe to say he had found the nut under the back seat!!! Someone (and no it wasnt me!) had obviously not placed the nut securely in its holder in the boot and it had rolled around the boot until it lost itself somewhere under the rear seat area. Who knows?? But find it they did gawd bless 'em and no drilling was required. Ive written a brief write up in a new thread about the car pre and post lowering.

ps; i have to say that Joe at D&D in Staines is a fantastic bloke and although his guys were trying to sort my missing nut for over an hour and meant my car was on their ramps for far longer than the 4 hours booked in for it - he still only charged me £180 all in. Very impressed with the level of service and highly recommend his garage.
Send over a 5 foot Subway sandwich for lunch in appreciation.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0