F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Jack stand recommendation?
proTUNING Freaks

08-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Jack stand recommendation?

Was looking at purchasing some new jack stands. Was eyeing up the Esco 10498 stands with pivot posts from Reverse Logic. I do have a couple of jack pads, but always misplace them... The integrated stand post looked appealing.

I just have from work in the front of the car to do, so is it safe to only put the front on two stands rather than the entire car on four?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I was going to recommend those. Two is fine with a wheel chalk in the back but 4 is better and gives you the most room and it level.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
Was looking at purchasing some new jack stands. Was eyeing up the Esco 10498 stands with pivot posts from Reverse Logic. I do have a couple of jack pads, but always misplace them... The integrated stand post looked appealing.

I just have from work in the front of the car to do, so is it safe to only put the front on two stands rather than the entire car on four?

Thanks.
Yeah those ESCO 10498 are prob the best. If I didn't already have craftsman 4 ton, I'd scoop those ESCO's up because the jack and pad placement is a bit more secure.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
I was going to recommend those. Two is fine with a wheel chalk in the back but 4 is better and gives you the most room and it level.
Just need to get to the front to install some meth nozzles in my charge piping.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just need to get to the front to install some meth nozzles in my charge piping.
Two would work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #6
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Jack stand recommendation?

I like my Rhino Ramps for quick under body access. They're about $40 a set and much more convenient than getting out the jack & stands. If your car is lowered, it doesn't give you a LOT of clearance, but it was enough to install my chargepipe and for my regular oil changes.
      08-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks.
I was going to go with the Esco stands but I attempted to jack up the car where everyone tells you to, at the center point between the front drive shafts. Floor jack kept digging in to asphalt and car kept slipping off the jack, despite rubber on top, etc. Frustrating trying to properly install two jack stands at the car's jack points.
Then I saw the RennStand online. The top piece with their BMW adapter is placed on top of your floor jack. Jack it up and then pop on the Rennstand legs with quick release pins and lower your floor jack until the Rennstand legs are holding up the car right at the BMW jack point where it is supposed to be! Rennstand adjusts for various heights. It was so much easier than wrestling with typical jack stands and they make adapters for various cars. I've attached a photo. Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
rphz70.00
1QuikWS61623.00
      08-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I was going to go with the Esco stands but I attempted to jack up the car where everyone tells you to, at the center point between the front drive shafts. Floor jack kept digging in to asphalt and car kept slipping off the jack, despite rubber on top, etc. Frustrating trying to properly install two jack stands at the car's jack points.
Then I saw the RennStand online. The top piece with their BMW adapter is placed on top of your floor jack. Jack it up and then pop on the Rennstand legs with quick release pins and lower your floor jack until the Rennstand legs are holding up the car right at the BMW jack point where it is supposed to be! Rennstand adjusts for various heights. It was so much easier than wrestling with typical jack stands and they make adapters for various cars. I've attached a photo. Hope this helps!
I ended up with a pair of the Esco stands with the jack pad adapter and love them. However, to your point, getting these under the front of the car can be a challenge. The rear is easy (assuming your floor jack can go high enough). In order to put the front of my car on the Escos, I have to drive up RaceRamps a few feet, then get my floor jack under the front center jack point, then jack up the car and place the Esco jack stands on the sides. Reverse that order to get the car back on the ground...it's definitely more work and time than the RennStand jacks. Saw those but wasn't sure about them when I purchased the Esco stands. Glad to hear that they are as easy as advertised and might pick up a pair at some point.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s a good idea but I almost can’t fit my jack under my car because it’s lowered. No way I could use this stand. If my car wasn’t lowered I would pick these up.

Thanks for posting. I didn’t even know they made such a stand.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Those Rennstands look amazing. They're a similar concept to JackPoint jack stands. JackPoints are not adjustable although they have better build quality.

For the price, though, I prefer the ESCO jack stands. They're half the price and are very good jack stands on their own. Accessing the central jack point is a pain, especially if you're a bit lower (M Perf Suspension). However, all you need is to get one side up a couple inches. You can either drive up on a ramp, or just jack up the car on the side and drop the front tire on a couple bricks. This will give you plenty of room to jack up the front.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
That’s a good idea but I almost can’t fit my jack under my car because it’s lowered. No way I could use this stand. If my car wasn’t lowered I would pick these up.

Thanks for posting. I didn’t even know they made such a stand.
Actually I just lowered mine slightly with Eibach Springs. I found an easy work around by picking up some 2" by 6" pieces of wood from Lowe's. I just took my tape measure and marked the cut lines and they cut them to length for me right in the store. I just put them right in front of the two front tires and drive right up onto the wood giving me another 1.5" of clearance for my jack to slip under.
For an extra 3" of clearance you could take say a 3-foot long board on the bottom with a 1.5-foot long board in top of it all the way to one end of the lower board. screw the top board to the bottom. Make two of these and you have two mini-ramps. drive up onto the longer board to go up 1.5" and keep going onto the second board to go up to 3 inches high.
This is less cumbersome than the ramps that I used to own. I might use these small wood ramps just to drive up onto the curb/sidewalk. It would give me quick access to drain the oil during oil changes. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
obert1783.00
      08-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #12
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
I like my Rhino Ramps for quick under body access. They're about $40 a set and much more convenient than getting out the jack & stands. If your car is lowered, it doesn't give you a LOT of clearance, but it was enough to install my chargepipe and for my regular oil changes.
I couldn't get my car on rhino ramps (f30 335 xdrive, stock msport suspension and mperf front lip). So I sold them.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #13
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually I just lowered mine slightly with Eibach Springs. I found an easy work around by picking up some 2" by 6" pieces of wood from Lowe's. I just took my tape measure and marked the cut lines and they cut them to length for me right in the store. I just put them right in front of the two front tires and drive right up onto the wood giving me another 1.5" of clearance for my jack to slip under.
For an extra 3" of clearance you could take say a 3-foot long board on the bottom with a 1.5-foot long board in top of it all the way to one end of the lower board. screw the top board to the bottom. Make two of these and you have two mini-ramps. drive up onto the longer board to go up 1.5" and keep going onto the second board to go up to 3 inches high.
This is less cumbersome than the ramps that I used to own. I might use these small wood ramps just to drive up onto the curb/sidewalk. It would give me quick access to drain the oil during oil changes. Hope this helps.
Good idea! I just need a little more clearance.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
I couldn't get my car on rhino ramps (f30 335 xdrive, stock msport suspension and mperf front lip). So I sold them.
xDrive? Unless you had M Adaptive, you had standard xDrive suspension which is taller than stock. The M Perf front lip might have been the reason you couldn't use them, though. All you have to do usually in those cases is put a piece of wood in front of the ramp long enough so the tire can ride on it before the front lip gets to the ramp.
Appreciate 2
johnung4549.50
      08-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #15
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
xDrive? Unless you had M Adaptive, you had standard xDrive suspension which is taller than stock. The M Perf front lip might have been the reason you couldn't use them, though. All you have to do usually in those cases is put a piece of wood in front of the ramp long enough so the tire can ride on it before the front lip gets to the ramp.
Totally get it, and at the time I didn't have that handy!! I had stock 18's on at the time, I most likely could have gotten on with my 19's but again, it was timing.

Wood and rhino ramps really don't mix, I had the plastic ones and even now that I'm thinking about it, I wasn't even close to clearing
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 12:07 AM   #16
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Totally get it, and at the time I didn't have that handy!! I had stock 18's on at the time, I most likely could have gotten on with my 19's but again, it was timing.

Wood and rhino ramps really don't mix, I had the plastic ones and even now that I'm thinking about it, I wasn't even close to clearing
Yeah Rhinos aren't made for low cars. Race ramps make plenty of lower profile ramps. Unfortunately, they cost a lot more.
Appreciate 0