E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GS6-53BZ HGZ vs HGX

08-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Justin Daniels
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
GS6-53BZ HGZ vs HGX

FNG here with a couple of questions that I hope has not been answered elsewhere on the internet, as I've done a fair bit of searching.

First question: I am wondering if anyone here has mounted an HGZ (E60 V8 version of the 53BZ) gearbox into an E90 chassis (normally an HGX). I know the bellhousing patterns are different and I know the gearbox support is different from the e60 to the e90 (6 bolts into the chassis on the former vs 4 on the latter); just curious if there's any combination of OEM parts that will facilitate this. I've seen pictures/videos of the N62 in the e90 and assume they used the HGZ transmission, but I couldn't find any details. Worst case, I can fabricate something but I'd like to keep this as OEM as possible.

Next question: Are there any differences between the two other than their physical dimensions? Clutch kit is the same P/N for both so the input shafts should be the same spline. Rebuild parts (what I could find online) seem to not specify HGZ/X. Any sensor differences?

Alternatively, I can just use the 53BZ from an E90 since I'm going to be making an adapter plate anyway; but I have an opportunity to scoop up an e60 6spd for cheap right now.

Any input/feedback/criticism is welcome.

Cheers

(I couldn't find a "new member intro" section/thread; if one exists, please let me know).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 06:38 PM   #2
3pedal335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i e90 6mt

Garage List
5 year old post but I was wondering if anyone knew the application of all the different codes? Also would like to know if the HGX and JGK are the same bellhousing pattern, they are both n54 transmissions from what i’ve heard.
Appreciate 0