E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Changed out Pwr Steering pump, but Banjo bolt not fitting...

10-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Shane1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328 xi E91 preLCI Wagon

Changed out Pwr Steering pump, but Banjo bolt not fitting...

So I swapped out my power steering pump for another one I got off a parts car. The main difference I noticed was that the reservoir on the good pump had its nipples pointed down, instead of slanted like the reservoir that's still on my car. (I got the power steering pump still attached to the reservoir from a different car).

I installed the new (but used) power steering pump and buttoned everything up. I topped up the ATF power steering fluid and almost instantly, noticed it all flowing out from the bank bolt on the pump. It seems that the banjo bold didn't seat because the depth of threads on the new pump isn't as deep on the original pump body, so the banjo bolt isn't going in as far, thus not sealing and seating.

So my question is: Are there different power steering pumps or pump bodies on these cars?? If so, do I have the correct one? the one I installed fits perfectly, but the threads just aren't as deep on the new one I installed.

Anyone?!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

What is your car and what was donor car?

Are pump models exactly the same? This should be easy to tell either just by cursory glance or by actually comparing embossing on the pump itself.

Some folks have put both washers on one side of banjo which will result in leaking like what you describe. It should be pump, washer, line, washer, banjo. Check this if all else looks good.
      10-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Shane1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328 xi E91 preLCI Wagon

My car is a 2007 328I and the donor car is supposedly a 2009 E90 (not sure of model).

The pump bodies look exactly the same and the donor pump bolted easily in place with no issues whatsoever.

The pump from the donor car had a shallower thread depth, thus not allowing the banjo bolt to thread further down and therefore the banjo fitting couldn't seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

That’s a reservoir for a non active steering option package. I’m guessing besides having different reservoirs they have different pumps. This is a active steering reservoir I purchased:

I also noticed they used pressure lines with different ID’s. I wasn’t able to make my non active steering car’s lines fit over the larger nipples on the active steering reservoir.

Last edited by Biginboca; 10-07-2018 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0