E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My Valve Cover Gasket Saga - Things I wish I knew before I started a DIY

10-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
greenberet123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

My Valve Cover Gasket Saga - Things I wish I knew before I started a DIY

First of all, a huge shout out to all the awesome people here! I am a total n00b to DIY car repairs, and the only thing I've done before this was my OFHG, but, thanks to the amazing folks of this forum, I have managed to change my VCG and the car is running smoothly so far. So thanks everyone!

I thought I should document a few things that went wrong for me, so that others doing it can watch out for them.

Things that I did wrong/that delayed me (I took 3 weeks instead of 2 days)

1. Metric sockets are not interchangeable with sockets in inches, especially the 10mm socket. I figured this out after starting and had to wait to get them.
2. An E18 torx socket is required to remove the front Bulkhead mounting bolt, but my standard kit only had upto E14! Again, I had to wait to get this.
3. Not only do you need a new VCG, but its good to also have a new VVT gasket, ESS gasket, ignition coil sleeves, secondary air gasket + nuts etc. I had to order the rest of the parts after I started.
4. Get bungee cords! They are insanely helpful! The Valve cover is crazy cramped up and you need all the space and both your hands.
5. Get a set of deep hex sockets, they are really useful to remove many of the bolts.
6. The crankcase vent at the back of the VC is a pain to remove. Practice removing it on the connection near the oil filter housing, and then use a screwdriver to press one side and your finger for the other side and slide it off. This took me a day to figure out. Don't break it, be patient.
7. Know how many bolts are on the VC and make sure that you have them all out. I had 22 bolts and I was trying to remove the VC after I removed only 19. I ended up cracking my valve cover a bit and had to JB weld it.
8. Fill all the holes in the engine bay with pieces of cloth, so that you don't drop anythying. I ended up dropping a few things and had to remove the lower shield to get them.
9. There is a little plastic part which can come off when taking off the VC. Mine ended up falling to the lower shield but if you keep cloth pieces around, you won't have to. Be gentle with the VC, take your time.
10. Get a 10mm metric wrench, you need it for the ESS. I only had a 7/16 inch wrench which was too big.
11. Get lots of nitrile gloves, some eye protection and a dust mask.

Things I did right

1. Put the car in the garage, coz this might take a few days to do owing to unexpected things happenning. Don't leave it outside in the rain.
2. Watch this video -
. It is amazingly detailed! Watch it again, and then again.
3. Don't hastily do something that you aren't sure of. Take photos, post in this forum, and these folks are awesome and quick to help.
4. Get a 1/4 drive E10 torx socket. Amazingly useful all over! Useful to remove all the bolts at the back of the valve cover.
5. Have all socket extensions and a swivel joint piece. They are incredibly useful!
Appreciate 2
Bobh5952.00
409_N5417.50
      10-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
KillaManjango
How I can just KiLLAMaN
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Kudos on the post, very useful information. I will be tackling this job next weekend, all of your pointers will come in handy.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

One thing I learned about working on modern BMWs is just to go ahead and buy every possible metric wrench/socket/ratchet-wrench/allen tool you can. Im not sure but I am somewhat confident that BMW didnt leave any out. Hex, allen, torx, e/female torx, shallow torx (I bought a spare set of etorx and just ground off the flange), thin-walled sockets, etc.

Oh, and get a plastic trim removal kit too. That way you dont destroy the clips holding all of the plastic crap in place.

I bitch but its still a net positive. if I added all of them up it still wouldnt equal the labor $ I saved in doing my transmission, valve, mechatronic rebuild ALONE.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The only thing that got me was that damn E18 torx socket. I have lots of tools, but i couldnt find one of those anywhere. Wasted 2 hours running around to different stores. Ended up finding something "close" at harbor freight.

If you're an experienced DIY, I cant imagine the VCG taking more than 3 hours. I spent 6 actually working on the car (i installed MILVS, or I wouldnt have done this at all), 2 dicking around finding something for that torx bolt, and maybe an hour between drinking beers.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

good tips.
I'm about to embark on this myself and I don't think I have an e18.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I feel like doing the VCG is like a “right of passage”.

Only once you have done this DIY then you can earn your e90post Jedi stripes. From that day on no other maintenance will intimidate you again... except the oil pan gasket lol
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
greenberet123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

lol, glad you left out the oil pan gasket, mine is leaking ugly. Figured it out when I pulled out the lower shield to find things I had dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I feel like doing the VCG is like a “right of passage”.

Only once you have done this DIY then you can earn your e90post Jedi stripes. From that day on no other maintenance will intimidate you again... except the oil pan gasket lol
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberet123 View Post
lol, glad you left out the oil pan gasket
On my list next - got the engine support from Harbor Freight. Actually practiced on my E46, and apart from a broken bolt, went pretty smoothly.