E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > She struggles when starting

10-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
BIMGUY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sans Nav

She struggles when starting

I was away for two weeks and she sat in the underground parking nice & warm. Since I've been back, it seems that first start of the day is difficult. It's like 3-4 seconds to turn her on whereas normally, it's instant. The rest of the day it starts normal.

On a related note, the other day after a 20 min drive, I could hear an electrical hum from the battery. After 3 years of ownership, this was a new sound.

Some UFI: My positive battery lead is unplugged / broken (the thing that disconnects the battery in an accident.) It's been looked at by my shop. New part is like $500... I digress.

So back to the original question, does this sound like a battery issue or potentially a starter issue?

I just returned from and expensive trip abroad so it would be awfully frigging timely to do a cheap starter fix. Battery has warranty with my local shop.

Thanks in advance.

2006 330xi E90 / First time owner

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Check the voltage with the car off. Either at the battery or by using the hidden screen.

Then check the voltage when the car is on. If the voltages are within the correct range. It is most likely your starter.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

our cars use energy even when parked unattended...continually.

its a small amount, but it will drain the battery over time. My E91 needed a quick charge after 3 weeks on the lift......

my battery level was down below 12v when I checked it with a multi meter. its a very simple test.

check the battery voltage when the car is at rest...and then check it again when its running. If the alternator is charging correctly, you will get readings above 13v and below 15v.....these readings may fluctuate when its running. This is fairly normal.

when the car is at rest, a healthy battery will be above 12 volts. (12.5 is good, 12.7 is great)

you can check at the battery terminals, or up at the jumper cable connections under the hood. its actually good to check both places to be sure at rest readings and running readings are pretty close in both locations.

a multimeter is under 15.00 at any parts store.....even walmart....

what Im getting at to answer your question is that the slow start was probably due to the car sitting idle for a while.

Now, the battery noise is not normal. what type of noise? clicking, rattling, humming, crackling? those would not be so great!

JP
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
BIMGUY
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post

Now, the battery noise is not normal. what type of noise? clicking, rattling, humming, crackling? those would not be so great!
Was a humming noise comparable to 60 cycle hum. I have iCarly so I will check now.

2006 330xi E90 / First time owner

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
BIMGUY
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
our cars use energy even when parked unattended...continually.

its a small amount, but it will drain the battery over time. My E91 needed a quick charge after 3 weeks on the lift......

my battery level was down below 12v when I checked it with a multi meter. its a very simple test.

check the battery voltage when the car is at rest...and then check it again when its running. If the alternator is charging correctly, you will get readings above 13v and below 15v.....these readings may fluctuate when its running. This is fairly normal.

when the car is at rest, a healthy battery will be above 12 volts. (12.5 is good, 12.7 is great)

you can check at the battery terminals, or up at the jumper cable connections under the hood. its actually good to check both places to be sure at rest readings and running readings are pretty close in both locations.

JP
So I checked it with the engine on. Was at 14.5.

Icarly would not read the voltage with the car off. I did find an old voltmeter that I inherited, it read 12.5. Having never used one can you verify if my settings were good.

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/5...v7jpba_jpg.htm

Last edited by BIMGUY; 10-28-2018 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0