F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > GoodGo M-Sport Bumper **Beware of primer**
GetBMWParts

12-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive

Just want to give people a heads up when it comes to painting their M-Sport conversion for GoodGo or any other vendor.

I had my bumper and side skirts painted by a friend and the paint started to chip. So I asked him to fix it since they weren't on the car that long. I went over to his house today to work on it and while blowing the ice and water off the car the paint started to come off in sheets. The bumper wasn't scuffed up or any prep work was done before they (GoodGo) primered the bumper and side skirts.

We stripped all the paint off the bumper and skirts and will primer and repaint tomorrow.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4495.00
      12-28-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithk21620 View Post
Just want to give people a heads up when it comes to painting their M-Sport conversion for GoodGo or any other vendor.

I had my bumper and side skirts painted by a friend and the paint started to chip. So I asked him to fix it since they weren't on the car that long. I went over to his house today to work on it and while blowing the ice and water off the car the paint started to come off in sheets. The bumper wasn't scuffed up or any prep work was done before they (GoodGo) primered the bumper and side skirts.

We stripped all the paint off the bumper and skirts and will primer and repaint tomorrow.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Yep. The primer on all these knockoff imports suck.

Thought that was well known. Not like the OEM stuff.

Serious prep needs to be done prior to painting.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
I had that same problem on a different type of product, (Front bumper cover for a Lightning) contacted the vendor to complain, he stated the factory coating is there to protect during shipping and it is not meant to be permanent. Sanded it all off, started from scratch, all is good now.
      12-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
jkoljo
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

And of course I just got my new GoodGo msport kit painted and installed a few weeks ago. Painted over cleaned stock primer.

Has anyone had success with GoodGo primer? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the shop to strip the paint and primer and start from scratch - is it going to fail absolutely surely?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoljo View Post
And of course I just got my new GoodGo msport kit painted and installed a few weeks ago. Painted over cleaned stock primer.

Has anyone had success with GoodGo primer? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the shop to strip the paint and primer and start from scratch - is it going to fail absolutely surely?
Don't you think that this post and video, as well as the other supporting posts in this threads make it painfully obvious what you need to do?
      12-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
jkoljo
Private
Rep

Well, based on video, yes. However it is also painfully obvious that chinese and taiwanese quality varies a lot. So maybe some body kits are ok, some not.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoljo View Post
Well, based on video, yes. However it is also painfully obvious that chinese and taiwanese quality varies a lot. So maybe some body kits are ok, some not.
I would watch for chips in the paint. That is how mine started. They were just little chips in the paint from rocks or whatever on the road but when we took air to the bumper is when it really started to peel off.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
jkoljo
Private
Rep

Ok, thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Ughhh, I also just got my GoodGo front bumper painted recently and fear the body shop painted directly over the crap primer...I feel like I’m seeing too many rock chips already, figured it was just the budget paint shop I went to...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine_F30 View Post
Ughhh, I also just got my GoodGo front bumper painted recently and fear the body shop painted directly over the crap primer...I feel like I’m seeing too many rock chips already, figured it was just the budget paint shop I went to...
That is how mine started too. Sorry to hear you're having the same issue with chipping.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Thanks...😩 For now the chips are barely noticeable unless I’m really looking for them so I guess I’ll just ignore until it gets worse. I still need to get side skirts painted so maybe I’ll see if the shop will respray the front for free/reduced since it’s not like I told them not to prep.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #12
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Where did you purchase your bumper?

Also, if anyone is aware, does the OEM BMW bumper cover come primed?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Where did you purchase your bumper?

Also, if anyone is aware, does the OEM BMW bumper cover come primed?
Yes, but still needs prep work.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #14
Zabiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I just bought this same bumper, and my paints also GSM but I was wondering how did you guys go about stripping the primer off ?

Quote:

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 06:09 AM   #15
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabiz View Post
I just bought this same bumper, and my paints also GSM but I was wondering how did you guys go about stripping the primer off ?

Quote:

[IMG]
[/IMG]
I received my GoodGo bumpers the other day. The rear bumper actually has warning sticker on it saying that the primer is solvent based. Before painting you must wash with warm soap and water, and lightly scuff with sandpaper.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 08:12 AM   #16
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
I received my GoodGo bumpers the other day. The rear bumper actually has warning sticker on it saying that the primer is solvent based. Before painting you must wash with warm soap and water, and lightly scuff with sandpaper.
From where did you get the goodgo bumper? Not sure where they sell from
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #17
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
From where did you get the goodgo bumper? Not sure where they sell from
Both from eBay. If you you look through my posts, I posted a link to the rear bumper in a thread I started about half way down. It was $142. Took the risk and it ended up being a goodgo bumper. I posted pictures of it in the thread as well. Have not yet test fitted it but quality looks amazing. Rear bumper has the solvent based primer on it with the warning to soap and water and sand/scuff.

The front bumper I also found on eBay. Was going to buy from ikonmotorsports but they sold out. Added to cart and next day gone. Reached out and will be months before back in stock. So I sorted by distance and found one 3.5 hours away from a private seller in northern NY. He agreed to meet me halfway. Got it for $250 but it's non PDC so I need to drill the holes. Also need to buy fog lights. Ikon sells the front for ~$350.
Appreciate 0