E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Symptoms of fuel cut off?

03-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Barrique91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Touring 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
Symptoms of fuel cut off?

Hello everyone I have began experiencing a strange problem with my 2006 325. The other night as I was driving home from work I was on the freeway and had a sudden "jerk" back or "hiccup". It happened again about 10 minutes later when I got off the freeway and hasn't done it in a few days until now. This morning the same thing happened when I was on the freeway. I am thinking that this might be bad gas? This has happened on the same tank of gas both times it has occurred. I do have some codes. I scanned, cleared, then scanned again and all were gone besides the first two which are usually showing up. Not sure if this is related to the problem but my idle does fluctuate SOMETIMES when I take the car out of gear and stop for about 10 seconds. Any input is appreciated
Attached Images

03-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

loss of the crank sensor signal will cause the DME to cut fuel and spark, as it has no reference for the position of the motor internally.

that's what I would start investigating first.
IIRC those mixture error codes are lean mixture, so you may also have an intake manifold leak somewhere. Check all the PCV hoses and the like, but they shouldn't result in the motor just shutting off suddenly. Rough idle and such is what I would expect out of those.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
Barrique91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Touring 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
loss of the crank sensor signal will cause the DME to cut fuel and spark, as it has no reference for the position of the motor internally.

that's what I would start investigating first.
IIRC those mixture error codes are lean mixture, so you may also have an intake manifold leak somewhere. Check all the PCV hoses and the like, but they shouldn't result in the motor just shutting off suddenly. Rough idle and such is what I would expect out of those.
I really appreciate the well thought out response. Do you think that not fixing these problems until spring would be a big deal as long as they continue to be minimal? I would really like to do it myself instead of taking it to my mechanic but unfortunately it's way too cold.
      03-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

one day the crank sensor may check out fully and leave yo ustranded.

if you can accept that risk, it's probably not going to hurt the motor.
I've not done the job, so I can't say how difficult it is.
Appreciate 1