E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Considering Twin or Quad Exhausts

07-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Considering Twin or Quad Exhausts

Hi Guys (& Gals),

I've been thinking about starting to do a few mods on the coupe and am wondering about changing the exhaust for something different - two reasons really a) I miss the sound of the old style BMW exhausts that made a decent sound, (the modern ones seem too bland) plus b) I prefer the look of a symetrical exhaust.

My latest car has the straight 6 diesel, with the twin exhaust on the left and I just think the car could look and sound better with a decent system - I'm looking for something that gives a bit of a 'rumble' at tickover and a 'sonorous growl' when revved (I don't want race spec or illegal).

I like the sound of the Eisenmann exhaust with the Meisterschaft valve thingy (opens a flap when revved) but I saw in a recent BMW mag that M-Style in London are now offering a conversion to twin 90mm (335d style) exhaust or a quad outlet (M3 style) system.

Any thoughts on the twin or quad system and has anyone had any experience of dealing with M-Style (good or bad)??

Thanks

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I also have a 330d E92 and have been thinking along the same lines.

I think the M-Style 335 style conversion costs around £600 including the rear valance.

I was considering another 330d back box on the other side - but I'm not sure it would be feasible?

Any of the other quad systems cost too much for me so I might go the M-Style route.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

This looks interesting;

http://www.mstyle-online.co.uk/E90-QuadExhaust.htm

I wonder how the valance would work - it says you need at least an M Sport valance.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
The Eisenmann exhausts are simply glorious but you may think they are too loud - i personally think they are the best sounding exhausts out there. Ive got a Miltek full system on my 335i with twin 100mm tips which look awsome hanging out the back of the diffuser. I also think the build quality and welds etc are of a very high standard on the Milteks - but i would like it to be a little louder. That said, im probably not a very good benchmark as i like loud exhausts - i had a Gruppe M on my E46 M3 CSL and it sounded like god gurgling!!
In terms of M-Style - i have had regular personal experience with this company and can recommend them. They fitted my Miltek and my M Sport body kit and have been very helpful. Ask to speak to a guy called Raj and tell him Steve with the silver 335i recommended you speak to him - he knows me well and will offer you a good discount (wink!) The guy that runs the company is called Paul and he has a white E93 M3 vert with lots of extras on it - in particular an Eisenmann race rear box - sounds unbelievable!!! Call them and ask for Raj and mention my name - he will look after you i promise!!
      07-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Hi Guys,

bmwbailey: Thanks for the feedback and the contact names - much appreciated. Bit of a perfectionist (for my sins) and a background in vehicle engineering, so want someone that takes the same care I would. It's hard to choose the right exhaust, I agree the Eisenmann systems sound lovely and I'd have to say that my heart definitely errs that way. "God Gurgling" - like it I used to have a set of flame spitting race cans on my bike, (so I do like it loud) but for day-to-day use it's probably safer (less hassle) to have something more sensible

BTW: Nice spec on your car - I see you're planning to go the Quaife LSD route as well. That's also on my shopping list, once I've got a few other bits sorted. Just out of interest, what made you go the Milltek route?

MOB: You're right, the M-Style 335 type conversion is around £600ish and for some reason the quad system is less (£500ish) - other than the price, the main questions for me are 1) What do they sound like? 2) What is the quality like? 3) Will the engine run just as well - or better? If the answers to all three are positive then they are in the running.

Mine already has the M-sport kit, so from what I can see under the car, it looks like the plastic boot storage box will have to go/be replaced by something else (to make way for the larger/extra silencer), the rear section of the underbody plastics will have to go and the rear diffuser be changed, so it looks pretty straight forwards.

Need to have a think: It's a pity that M-style are so far away (them London - me Stafford), or I'd pop down for a listen, see how they sound.

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0