E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Another M3 test drive

08-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Another M3 test drive

You know how it is - you buy a car and then are wondering what is that other car like to drive. Today I found out. A highly specced, one owner, 57 reg. jerez black E92 M3 with 5k on the clock, shod with 19" Michelins.

Felt quite familiar and 'at home' getting into the car. Remembered how to adjust the seat and steering wheel to get that all important correct driving position. First surprise was that the clutch pedal felt offset to the right, but I'd got used to it by the end of the test drive. It was nice to place my hands once more on that M steering wheel - I do like them. Next job start the engine which was surprisingly quiet. No real evidence of that V8 under the bonnet so far. Full sport settings selected (as advised by a certain gentleman on here ) and the 'power button' depressed for optimum throttle response.

1st gear selected and off we go. Instant response from the engine and revs picked up smoothly and effortlessly. The gearbox is certainly better than other BMW manuals I've driven in the past and a quick, smooth gear change can be executed with little effort although the gait felt wider than mine and not quite as precise or direct. The M3 gear lever is slightly angled as well and sits 'higher up' than the Porsche gear lever which feels 'closer to hand'. That said, reverse is easier to select in the M3 and you don't get the annoying 'bleep' every time you go into reverse. The ride was comfortable, even on the full sport settings and felt less 'jiggly' than the Cayman and the M3 absorbed bumps very well and without any fuss. Less wind noise in the cabin as well.

Now - power. Below 4k revs the M3 pulls but not as keenly as the Cayman in the same gear. Get above 4k revs and the M3 comes alive and that extra bhp becomes noticeable I soon learned that keep it 'spinning' in that rev range and above and you can hit some hellish speeds quickly, but still in a civilised manner - not aggressive imo. I was expecting a deep roar from the exhaust to hear that lovely V8 but it was not really evident. I think this may be due to the fact that I am now so used to the 'noise' Porsche purposefully feed into the cabin from that flat 6. Overall though, very smooth power delivery and plenty there if you choose to use it.

Handling - Bloody good when you stand back and actually take in the overall dimensions of the car. If felt very well planted at 3 figure speeds on sweeping bends and was certainly not shy of uneven surfaces on fast twisty 'B' roads. Quick changes of direction through 'S' bends were executed well although I did feel some chassis flexing and more work was required via the steering wheel than I am currently used to and not quite as much feed back. The M certainly did not give any signs of loosing grip, which was impressive. The brakes are very good on this car I must say, but I did find it slightly more awkward to 'feather' them in as they grab more than the Cayman. Not a problem though.

Clutch test - Purposefully set off form a 'T' junction applying a good amount of revs. Whilst there was absolutely no evidence of clutch slip, it was slightly more awkward to feed the clutch out smoothly whilst applying the power. Same situation the Cayman clutch bites earlier and the feed back through the clutch pedal is one of the clutch actually biting harder (like a grabber clutch on a motorbike) as soon as it senses more power is being applied. Maybe just different set ups. Still set off like a bloody rocket though.

Overall, a bloody good car in my humble opinion and one I'm pleased to have had a drive in. If I absolutely needed four seats and the luggage carrying capacity etc. then I would buy a M3. A very good compromise. Wonder what the new 7 speed, double clutch transmission is like......hmmmm.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Nice write up Helen, did you drive someones car you know or did you go to a dealer?

I have yet to drive one. Im sure its a compelling car. I do want one.

Did you ''Launch'' the car at all?

Carlos
      08-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Went to a dealer in Yorkshire.

The only 'launching' I did was from the 'T' junction as I mentioned. The more I think about it though, there is a definate difference in the way the clutches in the respective cars are set up for a 'launching' sequence.

Defo. have a test drive Carlos - just don't expect the torque wave you're currently used to thats all. You soon adapt to revving again, and it's fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Ooo nice to hear a good review! I do really like the new M3 it is a very purposeful car and I'm sure it drives well, sounds nice when revved but on tick over it's not got a characterful burble, like for example a TVR or an MG R.

I too have been test driving cars today, though I don't suppose anyone is remotely interested in hearing about a £1000 Discovery Diesel Auto with a delightful 170,000 miles Going to look at another tomorrow with only 140,000 yay!

I would imagine the M3 to have a very torquey and not so revvy engine, seems I am wrong!!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Nice write up BB, if you could do it again would you still buy a Caman ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
I too have been test driving cars today, though I don't suppose anyone is remotely interested in hearing about a £1000 Discovery Diesel Auto with a delightful 170,000 miles Going to look at another tomorrow with only 140,000 yay!

I would imagine the M3 to have a very torquey and not so revvy engine, seems I am wrong!!
Porscha, have you considered a Defender? Cheaper to run and much cheaper on spares apparently. Or are they a bit too rustic?

The M3 produces it's power of 420 bhp @ 8300 rpm according to the brochure, so that gives you an idea. The torque figures are good and it does have a very good power to weight ratio. All I can do is compare it to what I currently drive and I find the Cayman to be quite torquey tbh.

You asked me on your thread whether I'd got the Porsche bug yet. In a word, after today - yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Nice write up BB, if you could do it again would you still buy a Caman ?
In all honesty Mike, yes I would. The driver involvement is second to none imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
In all honesty Mike, yes I would. The driver involvement is second to none imo.
I still have an urge to buy a Porker and the longer it gets from driving that GT3 the more I`m starting to appreciate its qualities, even the engine that sounded horrendous at low revs. A bit like the first time I drove the M3, I wasn`t blown away at first but afterwards it starts to get under your skin. Just need to find one with some proper seats instead of those buckets.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Great write-up Beemerbird, and an enjoyable read, nice one !

Last edited by encee; 08-02-2008 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Porscha, have you considered a Defender? Cheaper to run and much cheaper on spares apparently. Or are they a bit too rustic?

The M3 produces it's power of 420 bhp @ 8300 rpm according to the brochure, so that gives you an idea. The torque figures are good and it does have a very good power to weight ratio. All I can do is compare it to what I currently drive and I find the Cayman to be quite torquey tbh.

You asked me on your thread whether I'd got the Porsche bug yet. In a word, after today - yes.
Yay Just found out that my 944 has survived and am still in contact with the couple who bought my old 911 off me, really do miss Porsche Can't wait to get another but god knows when, am going to uni in September!

Also drove an old Series 3 today too, it made the Midge the height of modern technology Need something that will be good for the winter, on the motorway and down some lanes that border on off road, also must be able to carry stuff! Disco is ideal.

Porsches are in general quite torquey

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Jesus, I wish people would stop talking about them!!! As i said in the other thread, I have a growing family, and by April will definatley need a bigger car, and now these are under 40k, it could be tempting, would be 4 door DCT for me though, or maybe an RS4, or maybe a Sportback DSG S3.........
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
Jesus, I wish people would stop talking about them!!! As i said in the other thread, I have a growing family, and by April will definatley need a bigger car, and now these are under 40k, it could be tempting, would be 4 door DCT for me though, or maybe an RS4, or maybe a Sportback DSG S3.........
You want a manual .... you even get three pedals for the price of two

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

Nope, I want an auto, especially twin clutch - I had DSG in my GTI and R32, and felt let down by the box in the 335D, switched back to manual in the S3, but really I want a flappy paddle gearbox - When done correctly they are just awesome
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh dear OliH.......... choices, choices. I will refrain from mentioning keeping ones appendage zipped up.

As I said....... alot of car for your money and now having driven one....... even firmer on that belief now.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

And now under 40k!!!!! I have another bun in the oven, or rather my wife does, so I have to get a bigger car, my midife crisis of an S3 has to go early next year, just as Ive got it how it should be - fookin fast, Oh well, if the Audi lasts a year that in itself will be a record for me. I also keep thinking sensible, but thats what I thought when I got the 335D, and I ended up putting £2k+ of wheels on it, suspension, re-map etc - It was a fuckin rocket ship, but a sensible one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

My god, now you've got me at it - Less than 6 months old, and its dropped £10k or so

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/car_d...VA92040E040341

Alright its a manual, but I could live with that
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
OMG that is one hell of a bargain. Very similar spec. to the one I drove today.

I think you're convincing yourself you know. Have you driven one btw?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

No not yet, because I know what Im like, plus they were £40k plus, and I refuse to spend over that on a saloon, Porsche yes, but not a family sports car- That car is a bargain though isnt it!!!, I could probably get another £2k off that - Oh my god, by the end of the night I would have talked myslef into it - The only thing that puts me off is the sub 20mpg, my S3 average over 5000 miles is 25.6, so not a great difference
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #19
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
You've just made me realise, the dealer had 'left' the OBC reading on fuel range remaining and I forgot to alter it or check the idrive for actual mpg. But when we were talking when I returned to the dealership, I mentioned I was currently getting an average of 25 mpg in the Cayman. His reply was "Oh, that's not bad is it" combined with a slightly surprised look on his face. Makes me wonder what the M3 was returning, although not sure if they're running it on super unleaded or not which does give improved mpg on the Porsche.

Paul and Calvin would obviously know.

Last edited by beemerbird; 08-02-2008 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #20
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whats wrong with people talking about them, if your sick of it go else where.
      08-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #21
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Whats wrong with people talking about them, if your sick of it go else where.
He's not sick of it He just doesn't want the constant temptation!!!! It IS a bloody good car the M3, Oli Doesn't make enough noise though Although have you considered the Alpina B3 as an alternative??
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Makes a lovely noise i think. I want one badly.