E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Not yet 5 weeks Old!!!

08-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 325I M Sport

Not yet 5 weeks Old!!!

What a day it was yesterday ... just heading off to Oxford to take part in a Aston Martin track day drive (A Birthday Present!!) and a nice lady in a Corsa decides not to see me and pulls out of a junction into the side of me..

She managed to impact first on the front wheel, and as I hit the breaks the whole passenger side of the car was damaged from the front of hers.. as it looks like she did not think to take her foot of the throttle....

Well on the positive side, we all walked, Mrs is hurt quite bad her neck & back and she keeps being sick.. youngest child has whiplash, and oldest had nightmares last night..and me some lower back pain but nothing to stop me. ..

but over all the Cab impressed me with the amount of impact it took without deforming.. that said, the car looks aright mess...

and it was less than five weeks old.. only made the first payment on Friday!!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

oh bollocks, tahts a real shame...

i wouldnt worry too much though just make sure a bmw garage does the repair.

i parked my old e46 m3 on a hedge causing 20k damage and after it was fixed it drove perfect.
      08-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
What a pain in the arse! Glad to hear that you and your family are not seriously hurt.

Hope you got the others driver signed admission of guilt?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks gents.. yes it will be a BMW repair.. my dealer has put me in touch with a third party company that is handaling it all for me..

Only pain is that cant get me the hire car until monday, so spending sunday on the PC wating for the GP to start..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
_KG_
Private
Rep
Drives: C220cdi Sport Estate

Oh, sorry to see that.

Hope you all get yourselves fit again without any lasting damage, and remember that the car can be fixed.

Good that you got pics of the scene - my Dad had someone pull out on him at a r'bout last year, no-one had a camera, and the other party tried to lay the blame on him.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Ohmygod that's a real shame. Glad that no serious injuries were sustained, although the whiplash as I'm sure you know may be an ongoing concern. The car is fixable, human bodies less so, so it's good that you're showing pragmatism. And obviously, document in detail the medical problems you and your family are suffering. Whilst the problems and pains may not be so great now, if they are long-lasting as sometimes they can be, then you have recourse for an injury claim for the third party. However, you need continuing documentation to support any future case. I'm sure you have already, but make sure your insurance company notes down the injuries now, and whatever you do don't dismiss them to the insurance company as something minor.

Good luck with the repair - don't rush the bodyshop in doing the repair as you want the best job possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Sorry this has happenend to you and your family. Hope everyone recovers quickly.

Good luck in getting the car sorted.

N'owt more you can say, other than it sucks really, but that isn't going to change what's happened.

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

That must be horrible when the car is so new. Really sorry to hear about that.

I guess you'll now miss most of the summer too as it will be off the road for a while.
      08-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your kind words..

Not too worried about getting the car fixed its only plastic and metal, more worried right now about the Kids, they totally freaked out.

Regarding the pics, 'cos we were going out for the day, we had the cameras with us, coupled with the phone camera I managed to get quite a few, while speaking with the police, the ambulance crew and arranging recovery..

I know we all moan a bit about BMW dealers on here, and the customer service that BMW sometimes fail to deliver, but I take my hat off to them.

They had a recovery truck on the sceene in 30 mins, collected and took the car, the recovery driver liased with the police, and well did every thing you cold think of to help us at that time. They even telehoned later that day to see if we are all ok..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #10
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

As long as you guys are alright, cars can be repaired. What the front wing made of on the convertible?? It looks like its discintigrated in that pic.

As its not your fault, can you insist it being written off as its so new?? Not sure on this, but you do see cars written off for less in a non fault accident
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i think there made of plastic same as the coupe i saw G33 car at the rolling rd meet with a hole in it,i think there not cheap to buy as well,shame its happend, but as others have said life is more important,
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep

yep the front wing is plastic, and went into a hundred different bits on impact..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Terrible luck. I trust your family will recover fully. What was the Corsa driver's excuse???

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC4J View Post
Terrible luck. I trust your family will recover fully. What was the Corsa driver's excuse???
Didn't talk to her much, left that to the police, as once they arrived they moved us quite some distance apart , all she kept saying to me and the mrs was "sorry"
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sorry to hear this mate, Hope your missus gets well soon.

Personally i would vet any body shop before you choose. BMW garages ive seen have always been shit at bodywork and paint.
      08-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
OMG the damage looks horrendous, I had someone run into my '86 944 and the there was a dent on the wing a dent on the badge panel and the sidelight dropped out, that was it!

Scary when you think about it. Don't understand how it can be safer for a car to drop apart?!

Anyway enough of that, what terrible luck I hope you get it sorted (though I would be trying to get a new car, most insurance policies do new for old on cars up to one year old)

Get well soon.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Don't understand how it can be safer for a car to drop apart?!
F=ma
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
OMG the damage looks horrendous, I had someone run into my '86 944 and the there was a dent on the wing a dent on the badge panel and the sidelight dropped out, that was it!

Scary when you think about it. Don't understand how it can be safer for a car to drop apart?!

Anyway enough of that, what terrible luck I hope you get it sorted (though I would be trying to get a new car, most insurance policies do new for old on cars up to one year old)

Get well soon.

Porscha, it hasnt fallen apart, the front wing is plastic to save on weight and expense with fixing. The inner wing is of steel and is intact as you can see in the photos. The door and rear quarter are only dented. Car is remarkably intact considering a 1200kilo corsa tried to go thru it.
      08-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #19
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep

Yes all the bits that were supposed to break did, and those that shouldn't didn't.

You can see in first picture how far the corsa "pushed" me into the flow of the on coming traffic, and maybe imagine how hard this impact was.

It was only because the on coming flow had been stopped by a man letting this "lady" pull out that I had this happen, but that by his actions there were no other cars for me to hit.. (can you tell I am trying to be positive lol)..

Did notice on the posting of the second pic that the screen has cracked.. now in earlier pics I took it hasn't. so i assume it broke due to an increase in sideways pressure on it.???

Make me wonder if the shell has twisted??

Still will leave that to the "experts"..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #20
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Wise words Carlos. This is what technology is all about when you look at it. Fortunately Raggie and his family were in a modern car as they were hit by another modern car.

Two modern cars collide and both are equipped with air bags, impact bars and crumple zones etc etc. all designed to thankfully minimise the damage to the occupants.

Food for thought indeed.

Raggie, if some bloke 'let' the woman out then he is culpable as well as far as I understand it. Technically, only the police and I think traffic wardens are allowed to let traffic out in those situations?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Good point Helen, also it looks as if the side airbags aint gone off.

Raggie, personally i would get a fookin good body shop to see to it. Its taken a beating for sure. Ive seen far worse that have been repaired but for sure I wouldnt want to get back in one thats taken a harder hit than yours.
      08-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #22
Raggie
Private First Class
Rep

all good points, the body shop I have in mind is good, did a repair for me before and had not issues with it..

The Air Bags did not go off, and in all the confusion did not notice any internal damage, but on recovering the kids stuff before it got towed, did notice the passenger door has resistance closing but that could be due to plastic in the hinges.. ???

Then again I could just be talking up the damage and when they inspect it could be minimal lol..

Helen, made a full statement to the police at the time about my perception of the events, the man was present and spoke to the police at the scene.

I will resist giving more details here to what i think should happen, as I think from the three police units on the scene, and the statements made that they "may" take this further, and I don't want to prejudice anything on an open forum.
Appreciate 0