F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Touch Up Paint Spray??
Extreme Powerhouse

07-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
phoizgood415
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i

Touch Up Paint Spray??

Has anyone use a touchup spray paint? Looking for an alpine white 300 spray paint to do some touchup. I have a scratch (not metal deep) on my rear bumper but I believe is too large for touchup paint. I think a spray would be better.

Let me know if you have any experience with certain brands and if the color matched with the paint (or close enuff). I found some on amazon but it has no reviews.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If you're going to spray over a large area you need to do both color and clear coats. I get my paint from www.automotivetouchup.com, where you can also view how to do it tutorials.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
phoizgood415
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If you're going to spray over a large area you need to do both color and clear coats. I get my paint from www.automotivetouchup.com, where you can also view how to do it tutorials.
Wow, so glad I asked here first rather than buying from amazon.

Im not spray painting the whole bumper and I did plan to spray a clear coat on it also.

TBH, I sanded down the scratch and tried using touchup paint but it just looks outta place because the scratch is too big so it looks like a blob there (even after sanding it down), I'm going to resand it down again and use spray paint this time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Hit it with a few coats of color to fill the scratch, wet sanding in between to remove the fresh paint from the area surrounding the scratch. When it's filled hit it with a couple more feathered color coats to blend it into the original paint, then a few coats of clear before doing a final rub out. Rub out is is much easier if you wet sand it dull with 3M Trizact 3000 grit before using compound.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
phoizgood415
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Hit it with a few coats of color to fill the scratch, wet sanding in between to remove the fresh paint from the area surrounding the scratch. When it's filled hit it with a couple more feathered color coats to blend it into the original paint, then a few coats of clear before doing a final rub out. Rub out is is much easier if you wet sand it dull with 3M Trizact 3000 grit before using compound.
What is a rub out? Unfortunately I am on work computer riight now and do not want to google rub out......Im afraid I will get unrelated search results.....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoizgood415 View Post
Has anyone use a touchup spray paint? Looking for an alpine white 300 spray paint to do some touchup. I have a scratch (not metal deep) on my rear bumper but I believe is too large for touchup paint. I think a spray would be better.

Let me know if you have any experience with certain brands and if the color matched with the paint (or close enuff). I found some on amazon but it has no reviews.

Thank you.
There are too many variations of BMW Alpine White for you to get a good match
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoizgood415 View Post
What is a rub out?
After wet sanding with 3000 grit polish the area with high cut rubbing compound, low cut rubbing compound and finally polish to restore a factory finish. You need an electric buffer for large areas, but a small area can be done by hand. Beginners are best off doing it by hand anyway, a buffer can rub right through the paint, so you have to do it all again. The most difficult part about power buffing is learning how little pressure to use.
Appreciate 0