E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New rear rotors and pads aren't grabbing

07-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
kissdaring
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E93

New rear rotors and pads aren't grabbing

So kind of a strange question. I've installed new rotors and pads all around. The fronts are working just fine however the rear aren't grabbing they still look brand newish after 2000k miles. No warning lights on dash and they were installed correctly the sliders move freely and the caliper piston slid back smooth with no efforts. Kind of scratch my head here. 2007 E93 vert. RWD. Do the back pads only work when hand brake is applied? I do have inner shoes on the car.

Thanks Guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

As reliable as the N52 is, I'm assuming your rear brakes don't have two million miles on them (2000 x 1000...). Are you saying they still look brand new after 2000 miles; roughly 3000 kilometers?

They're barely used; they should look new.

Braking systems in most passenger cars are front-biased, meaning the rear brakes do less of the work. They tend to wear slower.

Does brake performance feel off? If not, then don't worry about it. You would know if your rear brakes aren't functioning, unless you're not familiar with how brakes should feel. It's not clear based on your post whether there's actually a braking issue, or whether you're simply curious why your rear pads still look new. Please clarify if the above doesn't answer your question.

The shoes are for the handbrake only.
      07-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Hey e90. Thanks for the get back. What I was trying to say is that when after 3000 kms there isn't any wear marks on the rotors in the rear. While I get that passenger done use to much of the rear I would just assume after 3k there would be some indication it's all. Braking system is solid. I was more curious then cautious.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Explorerlyon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 986 Acura TL-SHAWD BMW

Garage List
If the rear was not working at all, the rotors would actually look dirty and somewhat rusted. If the rotors are clean and shinny, they are working to some extent.
Appreciate 4
      07-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Any chance when you had did the pads you completely removed both calipers? Only reason I ask is it is possible to install the calipers on the wrong side but have them bolt up and look right. Problem is when you come to bleed them the bleed nipple is pointing down and air gets trapped in them essentially making them useless, which describes what you're seeing.

Ask me how I found this out......
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerlyon View Post
If the rear was not working at all, the rotors would actually look dirty and somewhat rusted. If the rotors are clean and shinny, they are working to some extent.
bingo...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
kissdaring
Private
Rep

silly question but do I have to bleed the lines after changing rotors and pads>? i've never had to do this on other cars but with bmw you never know. thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Quote:
they are definitely still shining where the pads are supposed to grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Any chance when you had did the pads you completely removed both calipers? Only reason I ask is it is possible to install the calipers on the wrong side but have them bolt up and look right. Problem is when you come to bleed them the bleed nipple is pointing down and air gets trapped in them essentially making them useless, which describes what you're seeing.

Ask me how I found this out......
yeah I didn't go that far as removing the calipers to make this mistake. however when I bought a used car in the past I also found out the hard way that some indy shop had installed them wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
Explorerlyon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 986 Acura TL-SHAWD BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissdaring View Post
silly question but do I have to bleed the lines after changing rotors and pads>? i've never had to do this on other cars but with bmw you never know. thanks
Just changing rotors and pads should not introduce air into the system requiring bleeding. However, I change the fluid and bleed anyways when I install new pads and rotors. Sounds like you have checked everything else. For peace of mind, change your brake fluid and bleed. See if there is any improvement. Also, are you getting brake dust on your rear wheels?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

stock brakes last like 75,000+ miles (when not abused). You're not going to see anything after only 2k miles.
Appreciate 1
PhaseP1008.50
      07-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #11
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just changing rotors and pads should not introduce air into the system requiring bleeding. However, I change the fluid and bleed anyways when I install new pads and rotors. Sounds like you have checked everything else. For peace of mind, change your brake fluid and bleed. See if there is any improvement. Also, are you getting brake dust on your rear wheels?
No dust but as post below said it's not enough K to notice.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
stock brakes last like 75,000+ miles (when not abused). You're not going to see anything after only 2k miles.
It's what I figured. Thanks bro.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #13
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Brand new rotors are covered in a film and look usually matte in color. When u start using them they look more shiny on the area where the pad touches. This change in color happens like almost immediately. Did u notice this change or they still look like factory ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
kissdaring
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Brand new rotors are covered in a film and look usually matte in color. When u start using them they look more shiny on the area where the pad touches. This change in color happens like almost immediately. Did u notice this change or they still look like factory ?
For the back rotors I didn't get them Zin coated they see standard rotors with ceramic pads. The rotors don't have a mat coating fronts yes backs no. But yes they do looks like they are still new maybe it's to early to tell. I know with the front they are already worn in. Strange, but braking is solid. Maybe when I have some time I'll take them apart again and see whats up.
Appreciate 0