BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 wheels and tyres - UK

08-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

X1 wheels and tyres - UK

Tyres always concern me as I drive about 6 times a year to SW France and back.
Several years we have experienced heavy snow falls in northern France and our previous car, a 4x4 Yeti on winter tyres has always got us home passed many cars abandoned by the road side.

I am looking to buy some new wheels and winter tyres, and I has spent a considerable length of time reading through the postings and other info

Our X1 has only done 4,000 miles and still has over 2 years BMW warranty left

I thought that it would be worth me bringing the following up for discussion, to see what you guys think.

My conclusions, for UK drivers, would seem to be as follows;

1). BMW warranty considerations - if you ever have a warranty claim concerning your drivetrain or similar, you may have a problem if the vehicle is not fitted with BMW recommended X1 wheels and tyres.
(BMW also recommend(?), that as far as xDrive vehicles are concerned that the depth of tread on each axle should be similar - i.e. if you have 5mm on the left side rear it should be near this on the right side rear.)

2). Insurance considerations - your insurer would expect your vehicle to be fitted with BMW X1 recommended wheels and (probably) tyres and any variations may be considered a "modification" and invalid your insurance.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:20 AM   #2
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

You may find this of interest

Name:  Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 09.12.15.png
Views: 405
Size:  258.6 KB

The comment about not exceed 2mm tread depth on any tyres i found "interesting"

Interestingly after reading this I was in dealers over another matter , and had a look around the used car stock ---- amazing the zDrive cars that did not conform to above requirements,one 3ser xDrive had one well worn tyre with a brand new different make on the other side.

Last edited by Abh29; 08-10-2019 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh29 View Post
You may find this of interest

Attachment 2117519

The comment about not exceed 2mm tread depth on any tyres i found "interesting"

Interestingly after reading this I was in dealers over another matter , and had a look around the used car stock ---- amazing the zDrive cars that did not conform to above requirements,one 3ser xDrive had one well worn tyre with a brand new different make on the other side.
Thanks - that says it all - I'll stick to what BMW recommend - at the end of the day it is about safety and you can never be too careful especially with tyres

More tread on the rear has always been recommended - but this is quite difficult with my 335D -rear wheel drive - the rears will always wear more than the fronts!!! - not sure how I get round that

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 08-10-2019 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

It also means keeping winhin the guidline for warrantee purposes -----but unless you have read the TiS how would you know what you are meant to be conforming to.
I understand that if you take car into dealers with transmission fault ,one of the first check is on tyres and condition.
This seemed to occur regulary with early X3's
Appreciate 0