F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > BMW F30 EPS Thrust piece
proTUNING Freaks

08-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
bmw320d_life
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d saloon RWD

BMW F30 EPS Thrust piece

Hi chap,
I have an issue with my driver side making a clonking sound if i go over a rough terrain or while stationary and rocking the steering back and forth. More pronounced with the engine off.

I believe the previous owner had EPS issue and the vehicle was on a steering Recall and rectified by BMW. since then i have acquired the vehicle and the clonkiness. could it be the BMW did not perform a correct EPS thrust piece install?
secondly can i approach BMW as they did the work previously.

Also i have been reading about tightening the sealing plate on the EPS thrust piece by 1/4 turn which has solved most of the issues. Should i perform this myself or take it to BMW.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC/E70 X5 35i/E39 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw320d_life View Post
Hi chap,
I have an issue with my driver side making a clonking sound if i go over a rough terrain or while stationary and rocking the steering back and forth. More pronounced with the engine off.

I believe the previous owner had EPS issue and the vehicle was on a steering Recall and rectified by BMW. since then i have acquired the vehicle and the clonkiness. could it be the BMW did not perform a correct EPS thrust piece install?
secondly can i approach BMW as they did the work previously.

Also i have been reading about tightening the sealing plate on the EPS thrust piece by 1/4 turn which has solved most of the issues. Should i perform this myself or take it to BMW.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
BMW is on their 5th rack for that problem.. you can bring it to their attention, and im not sure if they'll quote you a new rack, or just a new thrust piece. this is a well know and documented problem (at least here on the forum)

there's a repair kit for this issue, and a detailed repair bulletin on TIS, and its quite the process. even if you wanted to adjust that nut plate on your own, you'd have to create a tool, as buying it is no easy feat either. and BMW will not touch that nut, as there have been cases where rack failure occurs.

most people end up getting a rack from a junkyard and coding it. but then again, you're never sure of the condition of that thrust piece, and how long until you have the noise issue again.