F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Front vibration - can't figure it out
GetBMWParts

08-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
rockblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240 xDrive

Front vibration - can't figure it out

Hi Folks - got a 335xi 2014 M Sport...recently I have been experiencing some front vibration as follows:
  • Over 60mph
  • less when accelerating, more when removing foot off the gas and cruising
  • during braking it worsens
  • feels a bit in steering wheel but mostly in the leg area

At first, I though it was a combination of wheel balancing & rotors, so I took it to the BMW dealership who told me the following:
  • I had bend rims
  • I had worn tires
  • I had warped rotors

So I went ahead and bought a new set of BMW OEM wheels w/Pirelli RFT, new Zimmerman rotors & pads....after balancing and installing, I've noticed...NOTHING has changed...the vibration is still there, which is very annoying. I went to a tire shop to check the wheels and they told me they are perfectly balanced with no bends...I also checked the old rotors & pads which were also good...so now I am pissed off, because I spend thousand of $$ to replace parts that I actually didn't need

I have re-booked an appointment @ the dealership to give them a piece of my mind, but I have a feeling they will continue along this trial & error path at my expense, until the problem is solved

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Is this a symptom of bushings, rods, engine mount, drive shaft, etc?...appreciate any help or sharing of similar experience

Last edited by rockblock; 08-20-2019 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #2
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Currently going through the same problem. 46k miles. Post back if you figure yours out. Bmw gave up on looking for my problem and I have to wait until next month for the Indy to take a deeper look.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:11 AM   #3
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Going through the same thing since purchasing the car with 36k miles, now I'm at 70k.

I've road force balanced, aligned (because I lowered car), and had 2 wheels refinished because they had *minor* bends, still nothing.

Just to keep a record and see if we find something in common-> 335i, 403m, PS4S.
      08-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC/E70 X5 35i/E39 530i

are you guys all xdrive? im wondering because I had a very similar problem on my e70 LCI X5 35i and the issue ended up being that the chain in the TC had developed slack. the most notorious sign happens when on a complete stop, turning and accelerating at the same time, there would be a jerk-pulsating-vibration felt in the steering wheel and front end of the vehicle. it then would make the front end vibrate at higher speeds when coasting and off the accel pedal. im still not 100% as to why slack on the TC chain would create vibration at higher speeds, but it solved the problem for me.