E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Preferred Currently Available SSK?

09-03-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
that1crzywhtguy
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Preferred Currently Available SSK?

Hey there all! First time poster here. Recently picked up a 2006 325i, and it's been a pleasure so far! Well, minus the expected minor annoyances here and there (window regulators, faulty radio display, failing thermostat, and bad oil filter housing gasket). It's got 160k on it and I got the car for a phenomenal deal, so those little things are no big deal in my book (and it's mostly all straightened out by now).

Now on to my real question. I know the SSK topic has been talked about thoroughly on this forum, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my exact question. Which of all of the SSKs available is best, and (here's the part that hasn't really been covered that I could find) WHY?

It would be especially awesome to hear from folks that have maybe tried more than one of these kits in the same car.

The options I find most readily available are the Dinan, BMW, and UUC kits.

Seems like the BMW kit is the cheapest. Dinan being pretty pricey considering it's just the lever, and the UUC being the most costly but seeming pretty complete. I know people also recommend the DSSR.

As I mull it all over though, the UUC + DSSR is about $500. That's a tough pill to swallow. Is it really THAT much better than just doing the BMW kit that's under $200? What about the BMW SSK and the DSSR, making the kit about $350 as a mid priced option?

Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 04:44 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I’ve run the Dinan and 2 BMW ssk kits on my car. Skip the Dinan it is very short but significantly increases the effort to the point that it’s too hard to shift. I had the shift knob (2 different knobs) pop off a few times with that kit because it’s so hard to shift. Lots of miss shifts with it also. I repeat, do not buy the Dinan one.

I wanted to replace the Dinan one and ordered the BMW short shifter using a part number I found in this forum. Turns out after install when in neutral the shifter was sitting to one side. It was the kit for a 330i and I have a 328i. They use different transmissions.

This is when I realized the error of the Dinan kit. Dinan makes one shifter for all applications. So maybe their kit is ok with the 330i, but with my 328i it was awful.

Lastly I ordered the correct BMW short shifter for the 328i. Running this now for the last year or so. It’s really good for the price, you can order just the short shift lever for around $80-90. No issues I also installed the Turner shifter bushing at same time.

The UUC is probably great but perpetually unavailable. My advice is order the correct bmw short shifter for your car and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 04:51 AM   #3
that1crzywhtguy
Rep

Awesome, this is just the kind of answer I was looking for.

Do you have the part number for just the lever? I'm having trouble finding it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

I've never run any other ssk other than BMW, and find it perfect. The kit I have also included an aluminum and alcantara knob(which rivals the zhp knob, IMO) and an alcantara shift boot.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

First, does the manual lever have the same press on style knob connection as the auto?

(Assuming it does) Second, I know that the throw is based on the ratio between the length of the sections on either side of the fulcrum.

This would still be shorter than stock

If the connection is the same/similar, consider what I did...

Nearly unlimited shift knob options https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402742
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
that1crzywhtguy
Rep

I have a ZHP knob that should be delivered today. I 100% want to do a ssk still. Basically sold on bmw, but obviously don't need the knob, and don't really care about the boot.

So ideally I'd like to just buy the lever at a discount, but understand this might not be impossible. I've also got quite a bit of slop in my shifter, so would love to swap whatever plastic necessary to remedy that while I'm in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

This is the correct part number:

ECS tuning is where I ordered it but you can get it anywhere. Btw it isn’t for x drive models, only RWD cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I've run the Dinan and 2 BMW ssk kits on my car. Skip the Dinan it is very short but significantly increases the effort to the point that it's too hard to shift. I had the shift knob (2 different knobs) pop off a few times with that kit because it's so hard to shift. Lots of miss shifts with it also. I repeat, do not buy the Dinan one.

I wanted to replace the Dinan one and ordered the BMW short shifter using a part number I found in this forum. Turns out after install when in neutral the shifter was sitting to one side. It was the kit for a 330i and I have a 328i. They use different transmissions.

This is when I realized the error of the Dinan kit. Dinan makes one shifter for all applications. So maybe their kit is ok with the 330i, but with my 328i it was awful.

Lastly I ordered the correct BMW short shifter for the 328i. Running this now for the last year or so. It's really good for the price, you can order just the short shift lever for around $80-90. No issues I also installed the Turner shifter bushing at same time.

The UUC is probably great but perpetually unavailable. My advice is order the correct bmw short shifter for your car and call it a day.
I have the same OEM Performance 328i shift lever. Reused my OEM M-sport knob (similar to ZHP). Very direct shifts with just the right about of firmness.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
that1crzywhtguy
Rep

Thanks for the help all! Just ordered my lever and shifter ball bushing. Looking forward to swapping this in!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1crzywhtguy View Post
Thanks for the help all! Just ordered my lever and shifter ball bushing. Looking forward to swapping this in!

Hey, any feedback on yours? Did you replace any of the bushings as well?

I also have a 325i, which part no did you go with?