E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Brake Assisted Cruise - Simple Question

08-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

Brake Assisted Cruise - Simple Question

Does the brake light come on every time the brake is applied to keep the speed constant on down hill sections???

I have 'concerns' that the light is coming on and off at all sorts of intervals making me look like a right 'Reginald Molehusband'.....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
nah mate. I dont think it does. Its engine braking that does it.
      08-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Yes, it does apply the brakelights going downhill and you possibly do look a bit like Reginald Molehusband but even the standard cruise which uses only engine braking is quite effective except in a really long really steep hill so your Reg sessions probably are quite rare.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcook View Post
Does the brake light come on every time the brake is applied to keep the speed constant on down hill sections???

I have 'concerns' that the light is coming on and off at all sorts of intervals making me look like a right 'Reginald Molehusband'.....
I wondered this also! And one night whilst bored and driving down the empty M6 toll road I put it to the test!

When looking in my mirrors, applying the brake pedal illuminated the wet road and signs behind me. Using this as a guide I popped on the cruise control. Gentle deceleration of the cruise did not make the lights come on. Such as knocking it down from 85mph to 80mph, BUT if you pulled the lever hard and started to knock the speed down a lot so the car physically braked then yes, the brake lights did come on.

The car does not use engine braking, it actually applied the brakes to slow the car. Older cruise systems did not use this method and were a lot crude and more difficult to stop the car accelerating when going down steep hills.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Yes, brake light does come on - confirmed by a friend following me once in the 335d. They didn't say it was annoying though.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
so if i drive normally down a hill touching nar pedallions, the lights will come on. How gay.
      08-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Carlos is that the traditional meaning of gay or the meaning used by young kids today?

Only if you've got crusie on, travelling down a hill steep enough to warrant the brakes being applied to maintain the set speed. Or as Paul just said.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
so if i drive normally down a hill touching nar pedallions, the lights will come on. How gay.
I am pretty sure they dont, not unless the car has to brake quite hard or you knock the cruise 'set speed; down quickly.

Otherwise your brake lights would be on and off all the time! - how gay would you look
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Carlos is that the traditional meaning of gay or the meaning used by young kids today?

Only if you've got crusie on, travelling down a hill steep enough to warrant the brakes being applied to maintain the set speed. Or as Paul just said.
oh right, furry muff. ive never used cruise control once yet.
      08-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
oh right, furry muff. ive never used cruise control once yet.
EH! why not?? It's great! Drove to Kent on Wed (passed thru Esswah territory!) and had it set to 95 bananas all the way down and barely touched the pedals! Manages to save my leg muscles for the dreaded M6 B'ham section on the way home
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
I'd like the option of it brake assisting or not brake assisting. Seems a waste of energy to slow the car down, when it could be used for going up the next hill.
      08-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
EH! why not?? It's great! Drove to Kent on Wed (passed thru Esswah territory!) and had it set to 95 bananas all the way down and barely touched the pedals! Manages to save my leg muscles for the dreaded M6 B'ham section on the way home
LOL. Ill have to try it mate. Where is it located?
      08-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
I'd like the option of it brake assisting or not brake assisting. Seems a waste of energy to slow the car down, when it could be used for going up the next hill.
But the whole point of cruise is to maintain the 'set speed'? If it did not brake, you would catch the car in front which would turn off the cruise, and then you might as well had not switched it on in the first place!

It is actually very fuel efficient, the car can actually do better mpg driving itself then with me pressing the pedals!

Managed to get a record 37mpg out of mine on wed on a run - usually does 23 around town

The system is very clever and far better than the one fitted in my missus E46 compact that she had until this year. You will see when you get it! I am sure you will be impressed. You can actually drive the car on the m'way just by using the control lever knocking a few mph up or down as the traffic slows and speeds a little. Even use it to know 15mph off (3 clicks forward) as you catch a van in the fast lane, and then give it 3 clicks forward to get back to your original speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL. Ill have to try it mate. Where is it located?
The lever under your indicators!! - surely you must have spotted it???
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
red93, my e46 had cruise control and I used the clicks to accelerate decelerate and it was an amusing exercise to drive by the cruise control +/- controls.

But, when I went downhill, it picked up too much speed and I would have manually braked if necessary.

I guess what I am saying is I like the cruise control, but I'd prefer to control the braking park manually with the pedals.

Maybe the new ones are better because engine braking may be better since the alternator charges the battery.

Hey, I'm getting impatient. I still have 4 weeks to go.
      08-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #16
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
red93, my e46 had cruise control and I used the clicks to accelerate decelerate and it was an amusing exercise to drive by the cruise control +/- controls.

But, when I went downhill, it picked up too much speed and I would have manually braked if necessary.

I guess what I am saying is I like the cruise control, but I'd prefer to control the braking park manually with the pedals.

Maybe the new ones are better because engine braking may be better since the alternator charges the battery.

Hey, I'm getting impatient. I still have 4 weeks to go.
When you get your car you will see the difference I am talking about! If you are doing motorway speeds and then set the cruise to say 40mph, it is amazing how hard the car brakes. With the old cruise, it would simply not accelerate again until the car had reached the set speed. The new system really is very good!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

Quote:
When you get your car you will see the difference I am talking about! If you are doing motorway speeds and then set the cruise to say 40mph, it is amazing how hard the car brakes. With the old cruise, it would simply not accelerate again until the car had reached the set speed. The new system really is very good!
I agree.....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You believe the new approach is better? I'm not so sure, but I'll keep an open mind on this subject until I've tried the new approach. I'm getting so many new toys, you can't believe how excited I am . I suppose a full report will be due....a few days after I get it.
      08-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #19
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

i mainly drive using the cruise.. the brake assist feature is for the 6cyl versions only.. or was in 2006.

It is very good at slowing the car too and regulate the speed.. i do often just flick it off when coasting down to speed rather than have the brakes coming on and off unless I want to really hold the speed or actively brake down to a speed. Then I push the botton on the end and resume cruise.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #20
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
The lever under your indicators!! - surely you must have spotted it???
indicators ... was that a cost option ?

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 02:04 AM   #21
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

that is a prob at time.. the placing of the lever.

Sometimes I end up flashing people as I pull back on the wrong lever! Worse is when you put high beams on by accident!

Or indicate when you want to cancel the cruise.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #22
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
Sometimes I end up flashing people as I pull back on the wrong lever! Worse is when you put high beams on by accident!
Done that myself!!! Quite a few times!! It is amazing how mahy flashes of the headlights it takes before you realise you are not slowing down, ha ha

(Altho the flashing of the lights on the motorway often makes the car in front move over and hence removes the need to slow down anyway )
Appreciate 0