E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 330i - Replaced clutch and flywheel still hear rattle and vibration

11-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
ahsm
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I

E90 330i - Replaced clutch and flywheel still hear rattle and vibration

Hello

I had a local indy replace the clutch and flywheel. I bought the Luk clutch kit and Luk flywheel as well.

I picked up the car and noticed a vibration, clutch pedal feel was good and car drove well.

I picked up the car yesterday and after a day of driving still hear and feel a bit of vibration and flywheel rattle when in the car. If I press the clutch, the rattle/vibration is gone. It feels like 1st to 2nd has a tiny grind now as well. On top of all of this today I parked in my garage, opened my drivers door and without touching any pedals turned off the car. I heard the same rattle that I used to hear before replacing the clutch/flywheel.

Is this normal? I try to do my own repairs but have never done a clutch/flywheel job so I am not sure what is normal and what isn't but I'm 100% certain what I described above isn't normal. Please let me know if I am just tripping out or if my concerns are real.

Also, when I picked up the car I heard and noticed a vibration and rattle (not related to flywheel/clutch) so we jacked up the car and the two bolts that are underneath the green arrows were not right. One was not tight at all and the other was missing and is still missing (ordered parts), we tightened the one that was there.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...mall/pic01.jpg

2006 330i 6 spd

Last edited by ahsm; 11-09-2019 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
ahsm
Rep

Anyone? Please confirm my insanity or tell me I'm right this is bothering me a lot
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You need to use the process of elimination. First get the trans mounts straightened out. If the back of the trans is jumping around it will affect shift quality.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsm View Post
Hello

I had a local indy replace the clutch and flywheel. I bought the Luk clutch kit and Luk flywheel as well.

I picked up the car and noticed a vibration, clutch pedal feel was good and car drove well.

I picked up the car yesterday and after a day of driving still hear and feel a bit of vibration and flywheel rattle when in the car. If I press the clutch, the rattle/vibration is gone. It feels like 1st to 2nd has a tiny grind now as well. On top of all of this today I parked in my garage, opened my drivers door and without touching any pedals turned off the car. I heard the same rattle that I used to hear before replacing the clutch/flywheel.

Is this normal? I try to do my own repairs but have never done a clutch/flywheel job so I am not sure what is normal and what isn't but I'm 100% certain what I described above isn't normal. Please let me know if I am just tripping out or if my concerns are real.

Also, when I picked up the car I heard and noticed a vibration and rattle (not related to flywheel/clutch) so we jacked up the car and the two bolts that are underneath the green arrows were not right. One was not tight at all and the other was missing and is still missing (ordered parts), we tightened the one that was there.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...mall/pic01.jpg

2006 330i 6 spd
Both my 330i's did this. IIRC, the rattle you hear (when clutch isn't depressed) is normal for a DMFW.

If you have clutch depressed while turning off engine, there is zero noise...same DMFW characteristic with my cars.

I agree with Effthreeoh...double check the torque and proper positioning of your trans mounts, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
ahsm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
Both my 330i's did this. IIRC, the rattle you hear (when clutch isn't depressed) is normal for a DMFW.

If you have clutch depressed while turning off engine, there is zero noise...same DMFW characteristic with my cars.

I agree with Effthreeoh...double check the torque and proper positioning of your trans mounts, though.
That's strange. My friend has the same car, it's a 2006 330i and when he turns off his car (without touching any pedals) his car flywheel doesn't rattle AT ALL, like zero noise. When I turn my car off without touching the clutch pedal, I hear rattle.
Appreciate 0