E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2008 E90 M3 iDrive bluetooth settings unresponsive, won't connect (video clip)

11-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
RoofusM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

2008 E90 M3 iDrive bluetooth settings unresponsive, won't connect (video clip)

In short, when I purchased the car back in late May the bluetooth connected and worked flawlessly for about 2 months. Since that time, it no longer connects, the phone cannot be deleted from the system, and bluetooth cannot be turned off in settings.

I have tried a battery disconnect and a restore (press volume knob and both eject buttons simultaneously), but not a full iDrive reset to default (not sure how).

Video shows issues below. Seems like the settings are locked up for BT and maybe a reset to defaults might be an option if I can figure out how to do it.

Last edited by RoofusM3; 11-24-2019 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofusM3 View Post
In short, when I purchased the car back in late May the bluetooth connected and worked flawlessly for about 2 months. Since that time, it no longer connects, the phone cannot be deleted from the system, and bluetooth cannot be turned off in settings.

I have tried a battery disconnect and a restore (press volume knob and both eject buttons simultaneously), but not a full iDrive reset to default (not sure how).

Video shows issues below. Seems like the settings are locked up for BT and maybe a reset to defaults might be an option if I can figure out how to do it.

Try disconnecting the battery for 10mins. That sometimes works. If that fails it needs to be diagnosed properly, preferably with bmw software like ISTA. It may just need a simple software update, or the module may have failed. Not sure where you live but, in humid climates, the control units get condensation buildup on them which causes failures.

Last edited by N52bigblock; 11-25-2019 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
^ As neil said, the bluetooth module in the trunk might have died due to condensation, or due to water intrusion, or due to some critter chewing on the wires, or a few other possibilities.
You can check it out by taking out the trunk floor panel that is closest to the back seats. Might have to take out the under-floor tray to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
RoofusM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
^ As neil said, the bluetooth module in the trunk might have died due to condensation, or due to water intrusion, or due to some critter chewing on the wires, or a few other possibilities.
You can check it out by taking out the trunk floor panel that is closest to the back seats. Might have to take out the under-floor tray to get to it.
Just an FYI, I have pulled the floor panel up in the past and checked the connections on the control units back there. IIRC I have three back there (maybe two... my memory is fuzzy).

What's weird is I changed my battery about a month ago and I feel certain power was off for more than 10min. But maybe not because my radio settings were still saved. I'm assuming all of that will go away and return to default if the battery is off long enough.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Do we have a radio security lock out on these cars? With my last car, E36 M3, I needed a security code to get back into the radio.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:30 AM   #5
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Does your car have the logic 7 audio system (with the center speaker)?
The MOST optical loop is used for transmitting audio to the logic 7 amplifier, and to transmit audio and controls to the sirius/xm receiver, bluetooth, and a couple other things.
If you don't have logic 7, it could be that the most loop was damaged or disconnected somewhere, and you wouldn't have otherwise seen evidence of it except for bluetooth no longer communicating.
Something else to check
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
RoofusM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Does your car have the logic 7 audio system (with the center speaker)?
The MOST optical loop is used for transmitting audio to the logic 7 amplifier, and to transmit audio and controls to the sirius/xm receiver, bluetooth, and a couple other things.
If you don't have logic 7, it could be that the most loop was damaged or disconnected somewhere, and you wouldn't have otherwise seen evidence of it except for bluetooth no longer communicating.
Something else to check
Yes, I have the center speaker. I honestly don’t know the purchase options, but was told my car had the best stereo option that could be chosen.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
In that case, if you have audio, then your MOST loop is okay.
So, back to probably a problem with the MULF or TCU. If you have bmw software you could try to communicate with those.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I have a TCU sitting in my basement if it is bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
RoofusM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

***UPDATE 12/18***

I got around to having some time to disconnect the battery this past weekend. When I hooked power back up, to my surprise all my radio presets, M-settings, and a few other items were still saved. Time/date and phone/bluetooth info were all deleted.

So... as you can see in the video, I previously could not toggle the bluetooth on/off check box. After the battery reset, I could toggle this check box again and could clear old phones and connect new phones once again.

I was able to reconnect my phone and use it to make calls. It was working as intended.

However, after work, I got in the car and after a bit attempted a phone call and realized it was not working again. Checking the settings screen, I could once again not delete the paired phone profile or toggle the bluetooth on/off check box.

The only thing I can tie this to is that I had plugged my phone into the usb port to listen to music. When I had originally connected to bluetooth after the battery reset, I had not plugged in my phone to test phone calls.

Have any of you heard of connecting over usb for music causing issues with bluetooth connectivity?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
***UPDATE 12/18***

I got around to having some time to disconnect the battery this past weekend. When I hooked power back up, to my surprise all my radio presets, M-settings, and a few other items were still saved. Time/date and phone/bluetooth info were all deleted.

So... as you can see in the video, I previously could not toggle the bluetooth on/off check box. After the battery reset, I could toggle this check box again and could clear old phones and connect new phones once again.

I was able to reconnect my phone and use it to make calls. It was working as intended.

However, after work, I got in the car and after a bit attempted a phone call and realized it was not working again. Checking the settings screen, I could once again not delete the paired phone profile or toggle the bluetooth on/off check box.

The only thing I can tie this to is that I had plugged my phone into the usb port to listen to music. When I had originally connected to bluetooth after the battery reset, I had not plugged in my phone to test phone calls.

Have any of you heard of connecting over usb for music causing issues with bluetooth connectivity?
USB and bluetooth are both delivered via the MULF module if you don't have the SOS button in the overhead console. If you do have SOS/BMW assist, bluetooth is delivered via the TCU and USB is via the MULF. MULF and TCU are independent modules on the same fiber loop. Post the last 7 of your vin and we can easily tell you what you have.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

I don't know if this is way off base, but some features cannot be modified while the engine is running, or the ignition is in the ON position. In the video, it sounds like the engine is running. Have you tried making the changes with the engine off/ignition off?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
RoofusM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
USB and bluetooth are both delivered via the MULF module if you don't have the SOS button in the overhead console. If you do have SOS/BMW assist, bluetooth is delivered via the TCU and USB is via the MULF. MULF and TCU are independent modules on the same fiber loop. Post the last 7 of your vin and we can easily tell you what you have.
I have an SOS button. Would that indicate there's some conflict between MULF and TCU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy View Post
I don't know if this is way off base, but some features cannot be modified while the engine is running, or the ignition is in the ON position. In the video, it sounds like the engine is running. Have you tried making the changes with the engine off/ignition off?

Cheers!
I've tried both.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have an SOS button. Would that indicate there's some conflict between MULF and TCU?

I've tried both.
Not sure about conflict. To test, you can bypass the MULF but you need a fiber terminator or re-patch fiber at the hub.

Do you code? If so, you could remove the TCU and enable the bluetooth on the MULF. You would need to code to disable SOS/assist, terminate or repatch the fiber and move the mic and bluetooth antenna wiring to the MULF.

As for visual inspection, MULF and TCU are stacked under the carpet in the trunk. MULF will be the slightly shorter of the 2 boxes.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #14
RoofusM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
Not sure about conflict. To test, you can bypass the MULF but you need a fiber terminator or re-patch fiber at the hub.

Do you code? If so, you could remove the TCU and enable the bluetooth on the MULF. You would need to code to disable SOS/assist, terminate or repatch the fiber and move the mic and bluetooth antenna wiring to the MULF.

As for visual inspection, MULF and TCU are stacked under the carpet in the trunk. MULF will be the slightly shorter of the 2 boxes.
Good info. But it sounds a little beyond what I have the tools for. I guess I could try finding a TCU and just swap it in and see if everything works again.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
RoofusM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

I got a Foxwell over the weekend and it was able to find a fault with the TCU that wasn’t showing up on my Carista reader. Code was A379.

Does that indicate that I should just replace the TCU? Anyone out there repair these or recode without having to go through the dealer?
Appreciate 0