E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need to repair damage

11-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
Giggss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N52

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Need to repair damage

I was in an accident and my front end is a bit messed up, I'm thinking I can fix most of it myself, just need some help in the process as I've never attempted this before. Currently it's not driveable and I think it due to the 'tie rod' at the bottom as you can see in the attatched pics.

Does anyone have a part number or anything to help me out, and in which order should I go about repairing everything else?

Thanks.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggss View Post
I was in an accident and my front end is a bit messed up, I'm thinking I can fix most of it myself, just need some help in the process as I've never attempted this before. Currently it's not driveable and I think it due to the 'tie rod' at the bottom as you can see in the attatched pics.

Does anyone have a part number or anything to help me out, and in which order should I go about repairing everything else?

Thanks.
No offense, but the fact that you have to ask the questions you've asked makes me think you won't be able to tackle this.

That's not a tie rod, it's a control arm and there's going to be quite a bit of damage that you're not seeing yet. Only way to really know is to tear it down, inspect everything and get a hold of factory chassis dimension specs to see what's been bent as far as the frame and major support structures go.

What is your goal with the car? Are you trying to get it back to factory spec and appearence? Will this end up a beater that you don't really care about? Using this as a learning tool and don't care so much on the final outcome?

I don't want to discourage you, but that is a large undertaking if you're expecting "like it never happened" results.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

youch.

The issue with those kind of damage, is when you get all new control arm set, you'll realize that it wont fit because of the frame damage...

Everything is repairable, B is for Build guy is the example, but at what price and how safe it will be?

Does your car is a unicorn?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

What you can do is tow it to a body shop that has a frame machine. Have them check the frame. Ask them to repair the 'hard' stuff, and then you can do the fender and whatever else.

I'd look for used parts of the same color
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Realoem.com for part numbers. Good website.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
From the picture it looks like an N52 E90 M-Sport? Depending and mileage/condition depends if you want to go forward.

I agree with others. Id pull the bumper/fender and visually check for frame damage then head to a shop that can verify it is. You could always just swap the lower control arm(the broken one) to make the car able to roll again
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It must have been quite a hit if the control arm snapped, what did your insurance agent say? If you are hellbent on a DIY, I’d pull the bumper, fender and wheel and investigate further. If there is frame damage, you may be in over your head and it may be a total loss.
      11-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

It doesn’t look too bad honestly!
The lower control arm has to replaced and so does the inner tie rod as it is bent.

The tie rods are so cheap that you should replace both inner and outer tie rod just to be sure they’re both good.

If you just swap the control arm, it will roll around but the alignment will not be straight.

I would start with replacing those 3 first to make sure the subframe is good and the suspension will line up.

After that, looks like all you need is a metal bumper, plastic bumper, fender and headlight!
Core support, apron and frame all look fine from the photos.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
...After that, looks like all you need is a metal bumper, plastic bumper, fender and headlight!
Core support, apron and frame all look fine from the photos.
You're forgetting all of the little stuff that nickels and dimes repairs like this to the point of not being worth it. Of course, if there's a parts car you can pull these things from, then it's doable, but if you have to buy it all new, forget it.

That's also after fixing the steering/suspension, getting it to a body shop to verify chassis/frame integrity, rounding up all of the parts, body work/paint..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
You're forgetting all of the little stuff that nickels and dimes repairs like this to the point of not being worth it. Of course, if there's a parts car you can pull these things from, then it's doable, but if you have to buy it all new, forget it.

That's also after fixing the steering/suspension, getting it to a body shop to verify chassis/frame integrity, rounding up all of the parts, body work/paint..
I guess my point of view is from someone who does all DIY because it’s easy with all the DIYs posted online. The OP can easily do all of it too.

There a few things he probably won’t be able to do, paint and fender/bumper and the alignment, the rest is simply R&R.

The nickel and dime parts, if ordered online won’t be much, if pulled from a scrap yard or parts car, they will be even cheaper. The 2 main parts I see that would run the bill up if not available locally would be the fender and the bumper/metal bumper.
I'd bet money the frame is straight. I would not be so quick to junk as others have suggested.

All of this of course my opinion based on the photos.
Appreciate 0