F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > good springs+shocks vs entry level coilovers
ARMA SPEED

12-01-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

good springs+shocks vs entry level coilovers

so I've had my mind set on Dinan lowering springs and Koni yellows, but now I also see inexpensive coilover setups. my question is, would a coilover setup be better because they have been designed with matching springs and shocks? some inexpensive option coilovers I'm seeing are ISC N1, Vogtland, ST, Megan, and BC ... some being as low as $699/$799 so I'm basically $100-$200 away, if that, from these cheaper coilovers compared to the Dinan/Koni route. My goal is to get rid of some wheel gap and improve handling over stock. the car won't see any track time and is my daily driver. :
      12-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Out of those coilover options you would be good with any of the BC, ST, And Vogtland (they are big in the VAG world so they know what they are doing). The ST are actually a galvanized steel version of KW v1 coilovers (stainless steel, no rust). The BCs are also a good entry level option, pretty customizable, and you can add swift/hyperco springs no problem.

Many people laud the shock + spring combo, but it's definitely hit or miss to get the height you want. I would skip right over those to the paired coilover options.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 2
aps336.50
      12-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Out of those coilover options you would be good with any of the BC, ST, And Vogtland (they are big in the VAG world so they know what they are doing). The ST are actually a galvanized steel version of KW v1 coilovers (stainless steel, no rust). The BCs are also a good entry level option, pretty customizable, and you can add swift/hyperco springs no problem.

Many people laud the shock + spring combo, but it's definitely hit or miss to get the height you want. I would skip right over those to the paired coilover options.
thanks, that's what I figured.. and the adjustable height is huge compared to springs, my last car the left side was 1/4" to 1/2" lower than the right and didn't sit perfectly even until I got coilovers. now I just need to read up on each one, so far I've read a few people complaing about the BC's making noise. thanks for your input, much appreciated!
      12-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

It is very hard to nail a shock spring combo. I have two friends who have swapped springs and shocks more than twice because of either ride height, noise or rate complaints. They've both spent enough doing all that to have just bought a nice coilover system from the start and they both regret not doing that. Some people like to experiment, but there is a reason why these companies spend the money to pair and test this stuff, I'd rather pay a bit extra so it's the professionals doing it.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
so I've had my mind set on Dinan lowering springs and Koni yellows, but now I also see inexpensive coilover setups. my question is, would a coilover setup be better because they have been designed with matching springs and shocks? some inexpensive option coilovers I'm seeing are ISC N1, Vogtland, ST, Megan, and BC ... some being as low as $699/$799 so I'm basically $100-$200 away, if that, from these cheaper coilovers compared to the Dinan/Koni route. My goal is to get rid of some wheel gap and improve handling over stock. the car won't see any track time and is my daily driver. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
It is very hard to nail a shock spring combo. I have two friends who have swapped springs and shocks more than twice because of either ride height, noise or rate complaints. They've both spent enough doing all that to have just bought a nice coilover system from the start and they both regret not doing that. Some people like to experiment, but there is a reason why these companies spend the money to pair and test this stuff, I'd rather pay a bit extra so it's the professionals doing it.
If the OP has a RWD vehicle, I'd recommend the M Performance Suspension Kit for his car as far as spring/shock combos go.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

@DreamerJoe, what vehicle do you have?

With springs and shocks, there is only one suspension height setting which will eventually change as the suspension settles down.

I suggest coilovers such as KW Street Comfort as the entry point.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #7
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
If the OP has a RWD vehicle, I'd recommend the M Performance Suspension Kit for his car as far as spring/shock combos go.
Quote:

I was looking at the MP suspension kit, and the price seems fair, but from what I've read the ride is a little harsh for a daily driver. do you have them or rode in a car with? are they okay for a DD?
      12-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

With springs and shocks, there is only one suspension height setting which will eventually change as the suspension settles down.

I have a 2013 F30 RWD M sport. and initially I was considering springs/shocks because of the price factor, and if a good spring shock combo is running me $700, and the entry level coilobers are $700-$800 that's what I was leaning towards.. I really don't want to spend $1,600 on coilovers, my last car I spent $2,600 on them and honestly felt it wasn't worth it and would have been just as happy with a $1k setup. I just have to find which out of the entry level coilovers would be the best choice. ISC, Vogtland, BC (read a few negative things already), and bilstein has some that are just a little more which is probably top of my list right now. I'm just not seeing any reviews on Vogtland or ISC, maybe I need to look at users outside of bmw.
      12-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
I have a 2013 F30 RWD M sport. and initially I was considering springs/shocks because of the price factor, and if a good spring shock combo is running me $700, and the entry level coilobers are $700-$800 that's what I was leaning towards.. I really don't want to spend $1,600 on coilovers, my last car I spent $2,600 on them and honestly felt it wasn't worth it and would have been just as happy with a $1k setup. I just have to find which out of the entry level coilovers would be the best choice. ISC, Vogtland, BC (read a few negative things already), and bilstein has some that are just a little more which is probably top of my list right now. I'm just not seeing any reviews on Vogtland or ISC, maybe I need to look at users outside of bmw.
I don't have experience with Vogtland coilovers but my friend with an Audi was happy with them. Vogtland coilovers lasted 45K miles from what I recall from the last conversation.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have experience with Vogtland coilovers but my friend with an Audi was happy with them. Vogtland coilovers lasted 45K miles from what I recall from the last conversation.
I'm looking into the audi forums, and a few guys with 135i's and they all seem extremely happy with the performance and comfort.. on the F30, do the shocks have to be removed to adjust damping in the rear? if so, I'm going to just get fixed damping.. they have the option for additional $150, but damn if that's not a PITA to adjust the rear.. in my G35 it was the same so I had an electronic controller to dial it in from inside the car.
      12-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

You seem headed towards coilovers which is fine. Just wanted to say that I thought your idea of Koni Yellow Sport Shocks would have been a great idea for your daily driver because you would have that flexibility of being able to adjust the comfort level to your liking.

Then it would be pretty straight forward to choose a spring set for your desired stiffness and ride height such as Dinan, Eibach, H&R, etc. I happened to choose Eibach for my car and the drop was exactly as they advertised. Check out Bimmerpostings from Farkle! who has done a tremendous amount of shock/spring research.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:12 AM   #12
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You seem headed towards coilovers which is fine. Just wanted to say that I thought your idea of Koni Yellow Sport Shocks would have been a great idea for your daily driver because you would have that flexibility of being able to adjust the comfort level to your liking.

Then it would be pretty straight forward to choose a spring set for your desired stiffness and ride height such as Dinan, Eibach, H&R, etc. I happened to choose Eibach for my car and the drop was exactly as they advertised. Check out Bimmerpostings from Farkle! who has done a tremendous amount of shock/spring research.
after hours of reading and debating I had my mind set on Dinan/Koni yellows. getting everything added up I'm basically at the cost of these entry level coilovers. Vogtland gets great reviews from the VAG guys and a few 135i peeps. and it looks like their adjustable version, for +$150, uses Koni shocks. one huge concern is it looks like the rears have to be removed to be adjusted which is a PITA. I guess when I had my heart set on the dinan/Koni combo I also wasn't expecting the pricing I saw for EACH, call me an idiot but I though it was for a set. I was still willing to buy, but then I see these https://x-ph.com/vogtland-bmw-f3x-coilovers/ and I think I'm willing to be the "guinea pig" for guys looking for an affordable coilover daily driver setup. also curious about the set I saw by "ISC N1" but I'm not finding too much on them. the vogtland msrp on their website is 1200-1800, and I'm finding them as low 715 + the $150 adjustable koni add-on option.
      12-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at the MP suspension kit, and the price seems fair, but from what I've read the ride is a little harsh for a daily driver. do you have them or rode in a car with? are they okay for a DD?
I have them on my car. They are fine for a DD. No issues at all. But I run 18" wheels and non run flat tires.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have them on my car. They are fine for a DD. No issues at all. But I run 18" wheels and non run flat tires.
the MP suspension kit seems to be a very fair price ($1100ish) especially because it seems it also replaces a few more suspension relates bits. are they adjustable at all, height/damping?
      12-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #15
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
the MP suspension kit seems to be a very fair price ($1100ish) especially because it seems it also replaces a few more suspension relates bits. are they adjustable at all, height/damping?
They are not adjustable. However, they do include all the hardware such as top mounts, bolts/nuts, etc. You can assemble the M Performance Suspension kit before actually removing your old suspension parts.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #16
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Quote:
Quote:
They are not adjustable. However, they do include all the hardware such as top mounts, bolts/nuts, etc. You can assemble the M Performance Suspension kit before actually removing your old suspension parts.
I just order them performance suspension after months of research. All of the included replacement hardware is a significant cost and when considered that way the kit is a good value. I am excited to get them fitted to go along with the f80 TS and LCAs I already have on. Will be putting them with some new mp4s 245 front 255 rear. Thinking that will provide great neutral handling. Spring can't come soon enough!
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #17
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I just order them performance suspension after months of research. All of the included replacement hardware is a significant cost and when considered that way the kit is a good value. I am excited to get them fitted to go along with the f80 TS and LCAs I already have on. Will be putting them with some new mp4s 245 front 255 rear. Thinking that will provide great neutral handling. Spring can't come soon enough!
I was looking at the M3 LCA upgrade too and thought it would be a great addition, but doesn't it offset the wheel forward a little? that won't affect turning at full clock while parking or rub? I don't plan on changing my factory 403m's, just adding spacers and fitting the largest recommended tire for the rim size.
      12-05-2019, 05:32 AM   #18
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at the M3 LCA upgrade too and thought it would be a great addition, but doesn't it offset the wheel forward a little? that won't affect turning at full clock while parking or rub? I don't plan on changing my factory 403m's, just adding spacers and fitting the largest recommended tire for the rim size.
I have the M Performance Suspension Kit and the M3 LCA upgrades. It does push the wheel slightly forward in the wheel well. However, I also run 235/45/18 tires in the front which is slightly larger than the original factory diameter. I don't have rubbing issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #19
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
after hours of reading and debating I had my mind set on Dinan/Koni yellows. getting everything added up I'm basically at the cost of these entry level coilovers. Vogtland gets great reviews from the VAG guys and a few 135i peeps. and it looks like their adjustable version, for +$150, uses Koni shocks. one huge concern is it looks like the rears have to be removed to be adjusted which is a PITA. I guess when I had my heart set on the dinan/Koni combo I also wasn't expecting the pricing I saw for EACH, call me an idiot but I though it was for a set. I was still willing to buy, but then I see these https://x-ph.com/vogtland-bmw-f3x-coilovers/ and I think I'm willing to be the "guinea pig" for guys looking for an affordable coilover daily driver setup. also curious about the set I saw by "ISC N1" but I'm not finding too much on them. the vogtland msrp on their website is 1200-1800, and I'm finding them as low 715 + the $150 adjustable koni add-on option.
Hi there,

Any update which suspension you choose? Did you try the Vogtland?

I am also looking at Vogtland coilovers. Currently I'm set on getting eibach/koni red set up. I just really want to lower my car 0.5" more from stock m-sport. I know the vogtland coilovers said 1.2" but I bet that's from base model suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #20
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

FWIW I have H&R Sport Springs with M-Sport shocks/structs and i think it's perfect. Body roll was significantly reduced over the stock M-Sport springs. Ride height is perfect with no rubbing running wider tires (245/35 R19 front, 275/30 R19 rear) even on track days and comfort level is great. I bit stiffer than stock M-Sport suspension but not jarring. What really pushed me to the H&R springs was getting a used set for $300 which you can find pretty regularly. I realize my stock shocks/struts will probably wear faster with the drop but when they blow I'll upgrade to coilovers at that point and probably be able to sell the H&R springs for what I paid for them.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #21
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

so I decided on ST coilovers, and for an additional $160 (+$80 for extensions) I'm going with the ST XA, w/ adjustable dampening like the KW V2. now, since the rear shock needs to be removed to adjust I asked a rep from ST if the KW extensions will work, since the difference between the 2 is not in design but materials used, he said yes they should work just fine. now my question to you guys is, which extension length will be best?

they come in 8mm, 9mm, and 10mm diameter and lengths of 100mm, 150, 200, 250, 300, and 350. at first I though longer is better, but if anyone knows the proper length it would allow a much cleaner install.

and I almost went with the Vogtland coilovers, willing to test them out, but it turns out they use the Koni FSD shocks and most reviews on them aren't that great.
      04-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #22
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
so I decided on ST coilovers, and for an additional $160 (+$80 for extensions) I'm going with the ST XA, w/ adjustable dampening like the KW V2. now, since the rear shock needs to be removed to adjust I asked a rep from ST if the KW extensions will work, since the difference between the 2 is not in design but materials used, he said yes they should work just fine. now my question to you guys is, which extension length will be best?

they come in 8mm, 9mm, and 10mm diameter and lengths of 100mm, 150, 200, 250, 300, and 350. at first I though longer is better, but if anyone knows the proper length it would allow a much cleaner install.

and I almost went with the Vogtland coilovers, willing to test them out, but it turns out they use the Koni FSD shocks and most reviews on them aren't that great.
Extensions? How is that going to work on the BMW rear shocks. Isn't the rear top mounting hat is closed off?
Appreciate 0