F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein B8+H&R Springs OR Bilstein B12
ARMA SPEED

12-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Bilstein B8+H&R Springs OR Bilstein B12

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to lower my 2014 F30 335i RWD. I have decided on either Bilstein B8 + H&R Sport Springs, OR Bilstein B12 (which is B8+Eibach springs). I've done some research and it sounds like B8+H&R combo will lower the car a little bit more, but there's obviously a reason why Bilstein did the B12 setup with Eibach. I havent found any side-by-side photos to compare the two setups otherwise. Piecing the B8+H&R spring combo also seems to be a little bit more expensive vs the B12 setup.

DO NOT TELL ME TO BUY COILOVERS - my options are above and those are the only two that I am considering. I have had plenty of suspension setups on ALL of my cars (springs, coils, air), so I know the pros/cons of all of them. So spare me on the lecture

Of the two setups above, which would you go with and why? Who has best pricing on these two setups?

Thanks!
      12-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
estoril_335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F30 335, M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to lower my 2014 F30 335i RWD. I have decided on either Bilstein B8 + H&R Sport Springs, OR Bilstein B12 (which is B8+Eibach springs). I've done some research and it sounds like B8+H&R combo will lower the car a little bit more, but there's obviously a reason why Bilstein did the B12 setup with Eibach. I havent found any side-by-side photos to compare the two setups otherwise. Piecing the B8+H&R spring combo also seems to be a little bit more expensive vs the B12 setup.

DO NOT TELL ME TO BUY COILOVERS - my options are above and those are the only two that I am considering. I have had plenty of suspension setups on ALL of my cars (springs, coils, air), so I know the pros/cons of all of them. So spare me on the lecture

Of the two setups above, which would you go with and why? Who has best pricing on these two setups?

Thanks!
How bout b14 coilover
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:38 AM   #3
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

My 2 p when it comes to Bislteins matched to H&R springs.

You get the looks you want or sure, but nothing else in terms of drive ability and effectiveness of the shocks.

B8 or B6 whatever you decide to use will be compressed all the way down, giving you less the '5 of the free travel which means you will be 100% sitting on the bump stops at all times. If you removed them or cut them it will be the same.

Which means you hit a tiny little pothole, you will bottom out and more then likely bust the top mounts.
If you search here on the forum you will find that any B/HR combo ends in the same way, bust top mounts. Your shock comes right trough them from minimal impact.

B12 is an awesome combo, and you can chose between 2 type of springs, one lower then the other.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

B8's go great with h&r sport springs - i only have the b8's in the rear and it as a huge improvement. One day I'll get them up front too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Are you seeking a specific lowering target?

Any thoughts if the lowering target would not be achieved for any number of reasons?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post

You get the looks you want or sure, but nothing else in terms of drive ability and effectiveness of the shocks.

B8 or B6 whatever you decide to use will be compressed all the way down, giving you less the '5 of the free travel which means you will be 100% sitting on the bump stops at all times. If you removed them or cut them it will be the same.

Which means you hit a tiny little pothole, you will bottom out and more then likely bust the top mounts.
If you search here on the forum you will find that any B/HR combo ends in the same way, bust top mounts. Your shock comes right trough them from minimal impact.

B12 is an awesome combo, and you can chose between 2 type of springs, one lower then the other.
I don't think the busting top mounts is still an issue with the revised B6/B8 design. The original ones only made contact with the top mount with an area the size of the piston shaft, but the revised design has a larger flange at the top to make more contact with the top mount (you can see the flange and rubber pad on the left of the damper cartridge in my below photo):

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
johnung4537.00
      12-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoril_335 View Post
How bout b14 coilover
Good option but out of my price range, I think.

Quote:

Sounds like the bottoming out issue has been resolved.
Do you have experience with the B12 setup? I havent seen many pictures with B12s, so I dont know how the car sits. From reading, it sounds like it doesnt sit as low as B8's w/ H&R Sport Springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
B8's go great with h&r sport springs - i only have the b8's in the rear and it as a huge improvement. One day I'll get them up front too.
Good! Glad you like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Are you seeking a specific lowering target?

Any thoughts if the lowering target would not be achieved for any number of reasons?
I want it to be low but still functional. Probably 1-2 finger gap, thats why I'm leaning H&R Sport Springs which supposedly sit a little lower than Eibachs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I don't think the busting top mounts is still an issue with the revised B6/B8 design. The original ones only made contact with the top mount with an area the size of the piston shaft, but the revised design has a larger flange at the top to make more contact with the top mount (you can see the flange and rubber pad on the left of the damper cartridge in my below photo):
Glad that issue has been resolved!
      12-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
B8 and ACS spring kit is a very nice option. Tellin' you.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
B8 and ACS spring kit is a very nice option. Tellin' you.
Yep, I've seen that combo as well!
      12-07-2019, 03:21 AM   #10
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

I have the B12 and have tried 2 spring setups.
The only reason I comment on HR, regardless wether the issua has been resolved, as they lower the car the most, which leaves the B8 strut with minimal compression left.
You can see some pictures where I marked my strut to see where the ride sits and how far it compresses under driving conditions.

The black marker lines are where strut doesn't travel which means it compresses well and it doesn't bottom out
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Quote:
I have the B12 and have tried 2 spring setups.
The only reason I comment on HR, regardless wether the issua has been resolved, as they lower the car the most, which leaves the B8 strut with minimal compression left.
You can see some pictures where I marked my strut to see where the ride sits and how far it compresses under driving conditions.

The black marker lines are where strut doesn't travel which means it compresses well and it doesn't bottom out
Ahh, I see what you're saying. I havent heard of many people complain about the H&R SPORT springs bottoming out. More common with the SUPER SPORT springs, I'm sure.

But your B12 setup looks pretty good. Happy with them so far, I presume? How does it feel compared to stock?
      12-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #12
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

If B8 and H&R is no go....How about koni yellow and H&R sport... anyone running this setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #13
DL335D
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
If B8 and H&R is no go....How about koni yellow and H&R sport... anyone running this setup?
Why is this combo a no go? Tons of solid reviews with H&R sports and B8s. I have h&r sports on the car and B8s, in my trunk ready to instal next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL335D View Post
Why is this combo a no go? Tons of solid reviews with H&R sports and B8s. I have h&r sports on the car and B8s, in my trunk ready to instal next week.
I know I read those thread too.... I don't know why it doesn't work for the xpro. So I gave him another options.
Appreciate 1
DL335D581.00
      12-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

I guess I'm just deciding between Bilstein B8/H&R combo vs. Bilstein B12's
I'm not sure if I will be happy enough with the B12 drop. Might make me want more...
      12-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #16
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

I ran the B8+ H&R combo. Worked soo good and were a dream to drive on the street. But the back sits super low on the stock Super Sports RED's which I did not like and after 3 months I than had H&R make a custom spring that is in between the SPORT and SUPER SPORT height for the rear to better match the stance. I drove that setup for another 9 months and the ride was not too stiff and absorbed the small bumps well and were stiff enough for the back twisty roads and took the corners way better than the stock 704 option. Dampening is on point for this setup as well and does not crash and I never bottomed out even on worse roads.

I went one step further and now I have a custom valved B8 to the custom H&R springs and it's about same setup as stock B8 valving but more aggressive as I use it more for track so needed the little bit more dampening. But I got a lifetime warranty and you know they wont leak like coil overs do after 30-50K.

I would see if the Eibach springs sit higher on the back then the RED's. If they are higher than go with the Eibach's(Stiffer) they are closely matched to the valving like the REDS(Less Stiffer than Eibachs) are but give you a better stance in my opinion.
2012 F30: G25-660 Bottom Mount Mani+ DP+ Intake, CSF FMIC, VRSF CP, Walbro 450 LPFP, PR Injection with AIC 4, S63TU Injectors, Tuned with BM3, ZF Race 4 Puck and Non SSA Pressure plate, Catless, 3.5" Quad Muffler, Custom Valved Bilstein B8 + H&R SS. Max 456 WHP - 452 WTRQ. Currently tuned down to 434 WHP and 362 WTRQ to save the rods.

Last edited by D041987; 12-20-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #17
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post
I ran the B8+ H&R combo. Worked soo good and were a dream to drive on the street. But the back sits super low on the stock Super Sports RED's which I did not like and after 3 months I than had H&R make a custom spring that is in between the SPORT and SUPER SPORT height for the rear to better match the stance. I drove that setup for another 9 months and the ride was not too stiff and absorbed the small bumps well and were stiff enough for the back twisty roads and took the corners way better than the stock 704 option. Dampening is on point for this setup as well and does not crash and I never bottomed out even on worse roads.

I went one step further and now I have a custom valved B8 to the custom H&R springs and it's about same setup as stock B8 valving but more aggressive as I use it more for track so needed the little bit more dampening. But I got a lifetime warranty and you know they wont leak like coil overs do after 30-50K.

I would see if the Eibach springs sit higher on the back then the RED's. If they are higher than go with the Eibach's(Stiffer) they are closely matched to the valving like the REDS(Less Stiffer than Eibachs) are but give you a better stance in my opinion.

Thanks for chiming in! Interesting. I assume it cost you quite a bit extra for H&R to make custom springs for you.

I think the Super Sports sit a little too low for my liking. Thats why I'm leaning towards the BLUE regular H&R Sports. I think it'll pair pretty nicely with the B8's. I think the B12 (Eibach B8 combo) wont sit low enough for my liking. And like you, the H&R Super Sport REDS will be a little TOO low.
      01-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #18
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to lower my 2014 F30 335i RWD. I have decided on either Bilstein B8 + H&R Sport Springs, OR Bilstein B12 (which is B8+Eibach springs). I've done some research and it sounds like B8+H&R combo will lower the car a little bit more, but there's obviously a reason why Bilstein did the B12 setup with Eibach.

Thanks!
As to why they paired with Eibach, my guess is TUV certification.

Farkle, do Bmw still have the rough road spring pads for f30 like they did for everything from e34 on? They used to use them in America and it was a cheap extra drop to go with the thinner pads up front.
I’m iX so my cars RealOEM doesn’t show different ones So I’m not sure they exist anymore for this chassis.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:34 AM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I guess I'm just deciding between Bilstein B8/H&R combo vs. Bilstein B12's
I'm not sure if I will be happy enough with the B12 drop. Might make me want more...
H&R, Eibach and Bilstein all make great products and I've used them all on various cars. If Bilstein has done enough testing with Eibach to group them with a Bilstein part number then I would trust that over piecing my on setup together with H&R.

However before purchasing I would also research the specs on those specific H&R and Eibach springs to make sure that I understand how similar or different they are. Farkle! has assembled a lot of information so you may find that in his postings and links.

With your comments, you appear to be focused on the visuals of ride height and fender gap much more so that the actual ride of the proposed new suspension. It's possible that you could install them both and not be happy with the ride height of either option.

You would seem to be an ideal candidate for one of the Bilstein coilovers. Then you could tweak and adjust it to zero in on an appearance that you would enjoy.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #20
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
H&R, Eibach and Bilstein all make great products and I've used them all on various cars. If Bilstein has done enough testing with Eibach to group them with a Bilstein part number then I would trust that over piecing my on setup together with H&R.

However before purchasing I would also research the specs on those specific H&R and Eibach springs to make sure that I understand how similar or different they are. Farkle! has assembled a lot of information so you may find that in his postings and links.

With your comments, you appear to be focused on the visuals of ride height and fender gap much more so that the actual ride of the proposed new suspension. It's possible that you could install them both and not be happy with the ride height of either option.

You would seem to be an ideal candidate for one of the Bilstein coilovers. Then you could tweak and adjust it to zero in on an appearance that you would enjoy.
Very solid points. I've read very good things about the H&R Bilstein combo, but everyone has a different opinion of what feels good. And you are right - there is a reason why Bilstein and Eibach partnered in making the B12 setup.

I would not be opposed to Bilstein coilovers, but now we are talking a different price point...

I appreciate your input!
      01-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #21
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
As to why they paired with Eibach, my guess is TUV certification.
Probably because Eibach is an actual spring OEM, with a variety of springs for each model (unlike H&R which uses the same springs across models), and therefore can make the best "kit pricing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Farkle, do Bmw still have the rough road spring pads for f30 like they did for everything from e34 on? They used to use them in America and it was a cheap extra drop to go with the thinner pads up front.
I’m iX so my cars RealOEM doesn’t show different ones So I’m not sure they exist anymore for this chassis.
Unfortunately there aren't any spring pad options to control height. The rears you can adjust height upwards with shims/spacers, but the only way to go lower on the front and rear is to get different springs.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #22
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Very solid points. I've read very good things about the H&R Bilstein combo, but everyone has a different opinion of what feels good. And you are right - there is a reason why Bilstein and Eibach partnered in making the B12 setup.

I would not be opposed to Bilstein coilovers, but now we are talking a different price point...

I appreciate your input!
You have me wondering about prices so I did a really really fast price lookup:

B8 + Eibach Springs $1,067 (separately priced)

B12 (above config) maybe $969? Not certain

B14 coilovers $1,044 (1.2"-2.0" drop)

B16 coilovers $2,034 (0.5"-1.3" drop)
(Adjustable dampers)
I thought I remember another drop range available too

So B14 coilovers would be in same price range. Don't recall specifics vs B12 off the top of my head but worth looking into.
Appreciate 1